• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady .308 155 gr AMAX Match #8095 vs Hornady “BLACK” AMAX 155gr ammo

Albritton

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2019
I have a .308 REMAGE rifle I built that consistantly groups Hornady 155gr AMAX Match Ammo #8095 in 3/8” groups. I purchased a case of the #8095 Ammo. I will soon need to purchase more Ammo.
Can anyone explain to me what changes were made in the #8095 match Ammo when they discontinued it and rebranded it in the “Black” Ammo? I know it was “Optimized” for “black” rifles but cannot find the actual changes were made when the rebranded it as BLACK Ammo.
Is it the exact same? Is it still loaded to there “match” specs?
The #8095PM was originally loaded explicitly for Palma shooters......does it still meet Palma expectations?
I know I can buy a box and test fire em but I am curious to know if the BLACK box is just for Black rifle shooter consumption or they actually economized the Ammo.

I would contact hornady as they can best answer these questions. That said, I would give Hornady American Gunner 155 grain ammo a shot, too. The American Gunner line doesnt say match on it, but it will surprise you.

I agree with @Lunchbox27
I don't shoot a .308, but this past month I didn't have time to reload for my 6.5 Creed and picked up several boxes of Hornady's American Gunner ammo for some training/matches. The ammo was a little slower than their equivalent weight ELD-M loading (140gr in BTHP in the AG vs 140 ELD-M in the "Match" line), but shot very, very accurately in my rifle. I would definitely give the American Gunner line a try.

I would contact hornady as they can best answer these questions. That said, I would give Hornady American Gunner 155 grain ammo a shot, too. The American Gunner line doesnt say match on it, but it will surprise you.

Reactions: Ledzep
I agree with @Lunchbox27
I don't shoot a .308, but this past month I didn't have time to reload for my 6.5 Creed and picked up several boxes of Hornady's American Gunner ammo for some training/matches. The ammo was a little slower than their equivalent weight ELD-M loading (140gr in BTHP in the AG vs 140 ELD-M in the "Match" line), but shot very, very accurately in my rifle. I would definitely give the American Gunner line a try.
Thanks guys I will give it a try. Also the ELD Ammo. Was just curious if anyone knew if there was a diff or not between the Amax match and the Black.

To my understanding, factory loaded ammo with AMAX was discontinued and replaced with factory loaded ammo using ELD-M. If I'm correct, they did this because the tips on AMAX were of a material that was causing them to melt with heat friction, ELD-Ms should not have that problem.

Hornady black is entirely different and uses HPBTs. Also, hornady black is supposed to be made exclusively for Academy but Hornady American Gunner can be found outside of Academy and uses the same components or reloading recipe as Hornady black.

I could very well be wrong as this is info I've gathered over time, but not straight from Hornady so take it as what it is...

Pretty sure u can get polymer tips in black and that black is not exclusive to any one store

Looks like you're on to something and I was wrong, or at least partially wrong. I looked it up and hornady black ammo isn't exclusive to academy as I thought it was, except for 6.5CM. I shoot 6.5CM and the only place to get 6.5CM hornady black is through academy so my previous comment does not apply to the OP.

PLEASE DISREGARD MY PREVIOUS COMMENT OP AS IT ONLY APPLIES TO 6.5CM AND NOT 308!!!

I suspect the black Ammo does not adhere to “match” consistency. And yes the do offer the .308 black with 155gr AMAX bullets. Odd thing is that Hornady recommended NOT using the AMAX match 155 gr version in semi autos but now in the Black version they do.

Reactions: GLD1980
Although all specsfor the Black Ammo mirrors the now discontinued Amax match Ammo.

I use 168 grain Black AMAX in my SCAR and my 700. I don’t really shoot “long” range anymore. Out to about 400 max, and mostly under 200. However, the ammo has performed well for me in both weapons.

Reactions: deersniper
I tried some American Gunner in my new Bergara the other day. Couldn't find brass in town and it was only about .28/Rd more than brass anyways.

It worked way better than I expected.

IMG_20190205_185806.jpg

Hornady black is definitely match grade. Same as American gunner.

American gunner is good stuff

Frontier is much much better than you would expect also.