• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 338 brass problems

Bluegrass Tactical

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2011
KY
I'm reloading some of my 338L brass and not able to resize the Hornady brass, no problems from the Lapua brand. The Hornady is getting stuck in the dies and even when I get it out it won't chamber. Any idea what is going on. On a side note when it was first fired I had a hell of a time getting the bolt open.

Re: Hornady 338 brass problems

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bluegrass Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm reloading some of my 338L brass and not able to resize the Hornady brass, no problems from the Lapua brand. The Hornady is getting stuck in the dies and even when I get it out it won't chamber. Any idea what is going on. On a side note when it was first fired I had a hell of a time getting the bolt open. </div></div>

What dies are you using, what weapon is it fired out of, what lube are you using?

People with the Savage BH 110 had some issues with brass sticking in their chambers and it was mostly Hornady brand brass, a couple of years back.

Can you measure, or compare it to the Lapua brass, after firing it and/or sizing it, assuming all things done to it are similar?

Chris

RCBS FL dies, Stiller Tac 338, Hornady One Shot lube. I'll get measurements in the morning and post them.

that's funny... I am having zero issues with Hornady 338LM brass, about 60 pieces of it, and my Lapua's have had several close call case-head separations. Go figure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bluegrass Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RCBS FL dies, Stiller Tac 338, Hornady One Shot lube. I'll get measurements in the morning and post them. </div></div>

One Shot is good for doing large batches of 223 at one time.

Get either RCBS CaseLube II or Redding Imperial Sizing wax.

Both can be wiped off with either a damp shop rag, or a clean cotton T shirt.

It's a big case and there's a lot of sheering force needed to size that bad boy down.

I had an issue after about 4 cycles, where F/L sizing actually moved my shoulders out farter and I couldn't chamber them too easily.

It was strange, but using the Hornady headspace gage, I measured it and I went through 4 different sizing dies!

I ended up neck sizing them and they've been fine. I also anneal my necks every 4-5 cycles.

If a fired, but neck sized case chambers, that's all you need, even if it's a snug fit...all the better.

Chris