• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 4DOF users - how are you liking this?

I know that if your projectile isn't listed in the 4DOF section you have to use the standard BC Calc. I'm looking at using the Berger 87 grn VLD Hunting that has a G7 Form Factor. Is there a way to get close with the BC Calculator then transition to the 4DOF for the Axial Form Factors to true your data? Or do I need to continue to use the BC Calc and adjust the BC to make get my data to line up?

I'm not sure if that makes and sense. I like the idea of the 4DOF, but it seems pretty limited until they get a more robust projectile library.

Last edited:
Reactions: tnc
I know that if your projectile isn't listed in the 4DOF section you have to use the standard BC Calc. I'm looking at using the Berger 87 grn VLD Hunting that has a G7 Form Factor. Is there a way to get close with the BC Calculator then transition to the 4DOF for the Axial Form Factors to true your data? Or do I need to continue to use the BC Calc and adjust the BC to make get my data to line up?

I'm not sure if that makes and sense. I like the idea of the 4DOF, but it seems pretty limited until they get a more robust projectile library.

The 4DOF is a custom drag curve (Axial Form Factor) using doppler radar data so you can't convert it from G1/G7. But yes you can use the BC calculator and true it to your confirmed drop data just like any other 3DOF program.

Reactions: Jknox1030

The Doppler data for the projectiles in the library is specific to those projectiles, and that is what makes it work as well as it does. That specific projectile is tracked over 1500+ yards and thousands of CD vs. Mach data points are used to create the 4dof profile for it.

Trying to use a similar projectile's 4dof data and true it to your non-listed bullet would be achieving a similar situation to what a G7 calculator does anyway (bend the form factor of the G7 standard projectile to match your data). You're probably going to run into the same issues at extended ranges that G1/G7 calculators face, and are probably better off just using a G7 calculator for simplicity sake.

i think i tend to agree with you. i havent used it at the range yet, just messing with it and comparing to AB. there are some big differences between those two so i will be interested to see what actually happens. i think the interface needs some work, navigating it is kind of a PITA. and for sure they need to fix the wind stuff. They should be referncing clock positions not degrees. it could be confusing.

Haven’t read every thread yet as Im just getting started on this. I just recently downloaded it and they now have an option to use a clock for wind vs degrees. The option is in the settings. If this has already been said sorry.

Have always had the option for wind clock on the app. They don't on the site
IMG_2249.PNG

Reactions: LC 6.5 Shooter
How do you enter atmospherics without a kestrel? I can’t figure out how to enter in manually.

Anyone know if you can back up your data? I was playing around with it but had to have my phone repaired and had to do a factory reset and lost it all. I would hate to start using it only to lose it all if something happens to my phone.

Anyone know if you can back up your data? I was playing around with it but had to have my phone repaired and had to do a factory reset and lost it all. I would hate to start using it only to lose it all if something happens to my phone.
Yes it syncs to the cloud via the account you have to set up to get 4DOF to work. Open the main page, log in again, and hit the sync now under “settings”. Everything should be there

Reactions: 5pins
Read the post exactly above yours.

I guess I'm not seeing this on the Web. The way that I read above line was that your data was backed up on the Cloud (but that doesn't mean that it Sync's with the web site).

I can't seem to find my "rifle profile" when I log into the website on my PC.

I guess I'm not seeing this on the Web. The way that I read above line was that your data was backed up on the Cloud (but that doesn't mean that it Sync's with the web site).

I can't seem to find my "rifle profile" when I log into the website on my PC.

Ok now I understand the question. You are correct it backs up your data for the app but does not save it for use on the website.

Spent some time with this software the last two days, and it was spot on to 1012 yards. No axial form factor tweaking, I just made sure I followed the steps in the videos. My results were more accurate than Shooter. Even wind holds were accurate.

My only complaint, and I'm not sure I can't input the information, is the windage offset. I got it as close as I can, but it's still .1" to the left at 100 yards.

Is there a way to manually input da? If not is there a reason environmentals entered pressure, altitude etc would be more accurate than da and temp?

Spent some time with this software the last two days, and it was spot on to 1012 yards. No axial form factor tweaking, I just made sure I followed the steps in the videos. My results were more accurate than Shooter. Even wind holds were accurate.

My only complaint, and I'm not sure I can't input the information, is the windage offset. I got it as close as I can, but it's still .1" to the left at 100 yards.
You ran Hornady bullets or else? I mean their own CD data should be spot on at least when supersonic.

As others have commented, it works best when using bullets in the 4DOF library. I would like to see both the bullet and powder library's expanded as well as turret click tuning. But overall, I'm really impressed w/ how well it works...and the price is right. :)

I just bought a Kestrel and it takes several attempts to get it to link up and then constantly drops the connection. Anyone having this problem?

Using the BC calculator in the app (not the 4DOF) because my bullet isn’t in the library, I’ve input my BC and and am gonna do some shooting to true it up but am wondering about the zero range input in the BC calculator. It doesn’t have the zero angle or compensate for zero offset like the 4DOF.

Should I just be trying to estimate my zero yardage based on my offset? For example say my zero is a 1/4” high at 100 yards.

Or I guess just get as close to true zero as I can and not worry about whatever difference the offset makes and it’ll come out in the wash when I true the BC?

I have the blue weatherflow but cant get it to pair. Anyone else run into this? Thx

Agreed, range cards in the app are great. Don’t carry my phone to the line. Will roll OG with a pad and paper til a range card is available on the kestrel.

Screenshot_2020-03-15-06-00-46.png

Screenshot_2020-03-15-06-01-00.png

Range card

ETA - Now I understand what you meant....The Kestral does not have the range card.

I have my phone in my pack, and will use the saved range cards to fill out my little card that I hang off my scope before the stage. I shoot the same match every month, so my App range card rarely changes.

The Kestral has too small of a screen. The Kestral HUD however is better suited.

Last edited:
Range card

ETA - Now I understand what you meant....The Kestral does not have the range card.
I have my phone in my pack, and will use the saved range cards to fill out my little card that I hang off my scope before the stage. I shoot the same match every month, so my App range card rarely changes.

The Kestral has too small of a screen. The Kestral HUD however is better suited.
Looks like a dope table... a range card is a different animal where you add targets based on geolocation, and the onboard GPS calculates distances then the solver gets the solution.