• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 6 ARC

Zeus0390

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2014
For those of you familiar with the 6 ARC, your probably following it closely and are aware of Hornady's sneak peak and official release on June 3rd. For those of you that are up to snuff with this new cartridge, what are your thoughts. Personally, I'm pretty excited about getting my hands on some brass and necking it down to .224. From what I've heard, it sounds pretty impressive.

What about those of us (basically everyone I assume) who have no idea what you’re talking about?

Edit:
1590679274365.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 6.5Hunter12
For those of you familiar with the 6 ARC, your probably following it closely and are aware of Hornady's sneak peak and official release on June 3rd. For those of you that are up to snuff with this new cartridge, what are your thoughts. Personally, I'm pretty excited about getting my hands on some brass and necking it down to .224. From what I've heard, it sounds pretty impressive.

Well, your welcome then! ;) Something to get excited about I think.

Yes, there. LOL!

Semi-autos are stupid....
Well the entire round is designed around fitting in a pmag

for bolt guns we already have good options in this caliber/speed category hence all the 6BR variants

this round imo is going to be a game changer in the ar15 platform.

Gonna be the first cartridge with big publicity/promotion that will be capable of 105gr .285 g7 BC at 2700 out of the ar platform.

yes other cartridges already exist that are very similar but non ever had any traction.

This 6ARC is gonna be the 6.5cm of the bolt gun world, and 223 is gonna go the way of 308. Calling it now.

Yes, I completely agree... it's going to be the cartridge to beat in the AR15 platform. Since Hornady is bringing it to market, I can see a huge following similar to the 6.5cm. It's going to be a great option for predator hunters to step down from the heavier AR10 platform to the lighter AR15 platform as well.

Wonder how it will do out of shorter barrels... 12.5" Grendels are potent to 800 yds, so I'd think it would be fine in a 14.5"-ish barrel.

As a BRA shooter, I'd say that I'd be embarrassed if I only got 2700-2800. I'm in the mid-29s with 105s.
I was thinking what is going to be realistic out of that 6ARC and what would be closest in the bolt world. Bra brx and dasher are all right there around 2920-2950

I was thinking what is going to be realistic out of that 6ARC and what would be closest in the bolt world. Bra brx and dasher are all right there around 2920-2950

6BRA will run 2975 pretty easy the others you mention 3000 pretty easy.

What magazine and bolt is this using? 6.5G or 6.8?

Any data on short barrels? (11.5-12.5)

Okie on the Grendel bolt face/mags.

Any source for the shorter barrel data?

I’ve been reading about this thing for 2 days, I just don’t believe it’ll go 2750 in an 18” barrel. For those that say brA is a 3000fps round idk bout that either. Low mid 29’s is pretty hot outta a 26”.

but this necking it down to .224 sounds fun. Maybe light boys (55gr) screaming at 3200 out of a 14.5? Or 2700 out of 69gr’s in sbr lengths Am I being to optimistic? A super fast 12.5 a2 sounds pretty cool. Kinda like a restomod gun.

For those that say brA is a 3000fps round idk bout that either. Low mid 29’s is pretty hot outta a 26”.

3000FPS in a BRA with a 105 "IS" pretty warm....i shoot a BRA and 2975 is pretty easy out of a 26" barrel with a 105 hybrid and 2940-2950 with a 109 hybrid...16 loads on my last 110 pieces of brass.

Last edited:
Per Hornady that number is out of a 24” barrel, I believe proof had on the Instagram that it will get 2630 out of one of the 18” barrels.

3607A9D0-4004-4272-81E4-D99B92B31EEC.jpeg

That chart is in alignment with the testing I've seen and my personal 18" bolt gun barrel with factory ammo.

Bump all of those numbers up 100-150fps in a bolt gun loaded to 60ksi. LeverRevolution is your speed powder, 8208 XBR or H4895 for extruded temp stability (a bit slower MV).

Wonder if we’ll see this pick up popularity in bolt guns?

Looks like basically the equivalent to affordable 6br factory ammo.

Reactions: Steel head
This is an upgrade to the M4 the guys are using in the field. Having seen a number of GSW's in Afghanistan, I was wholly unimpressed with the 5.56, unless it hit a long bone and transferred the energy, the soft tissue wound and blast cavity weren't that impressive, especially compared to what our guys were getting from a 7.62 round.

The 6 ARC is a significant upgrade to the the 5.56, being effective out to 1000 yrds instead of 400 yrds, not that teams are really engaging at that distance. At just north of 100 grains, compared with 62, better BC's, less wind drift and 30% lighter than .308 AR-10 platform, this is a positive change for the military.

Will I convert an AR-15 to the 6 ARC, probably, just a more capable round, probably going with an 18" Proof Research CFB. Will I get a bolt-action rifle with it, likely, instead of a 6.5 PRC, just one less round to have to reload.

Hornady says they went down to 12" barrel without significant drop off in performance.

Overall, I welcome the announcement and improved technology for the guys in the field, like I said, I didn't have much faith in the 5.56 with M4 platform which it is intended to replace, with the advances in technology, glad to see the military is making use of it.

Reactions: Zeus0390
Obviously the first thing is to neck that bitch up to 7mm and run Berger 190 hybrids.

Fantastic bullets.
I wonder how fast it would get it going.

Wonder if we’ll see this pick up popularity in bolt guns?

Looks like basically the equivalent to affordable 6br factory ammo.

26” medium or light Palma in a nice short action.
<<<<contemplating such a rifle.

I'd be surprised if you got much over 2000fps with a 7arc and 190's. lol...

Has anyone tested 6 ARC in a bolt gun? Considering maybe switching to it after my 6.5 creed barrel burns up. Around here I find leverevolution, dies, and factory ammo quite a bit. I'm thinking I could get 2850 or so out of a 26" barrel

I'm getting 2870-2940 with LVR in my 28" bolt gun with 110s at bolt gun book loads. 2750-2770 with 28gr of Varget. Both work, but I'm going back to LVR.

That seems like it’d be a pretty solid PRS round at those speeds

Yeah, you have to watch MV vs. temp with the ball powders, but I think it's worth it for the speed boost. ES/SD are good, just a wandering Avg. With temp. Same as any powder really, just more pronounced.

Then obviously there's the magazine and bolt face. Hopefully more action makers will hop on board. I opened up 223 and Valkyrie heads on my American rifle co. Actions to run it. Performance is solid though, got a couple top-20 or better finishes in NRL matches this year and will be back with the ARC next year.

Sweet. I’ve got a TL3, so I’ll probably just pick up a bolt head and have my gunsmith open it up

Talk to Zermatt when you order a bolt head. I believe the TL-3 Valkyrie heads are wide enough for the ARC. I know a few guys running ARC in their Bighorns with Valkyrie heads that didn't need to modify anything. It wasn't much that I had to take off of my Nucleus Valkyrie bolt face/extractor to facilitate the ARC/Grendel case head.

Reactions: wpeach1912