• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hornady 68 grain load data

mgd45

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2008
Ga.
I've done a search on the search engine here, but can't seem to find any thread related to load data for the Hornady 68 grain VMAX bullets. I was planning on loading these in Mil-Spec cases like Lake City Arsenal.....

Anyone here ever loaded this bullet? I'll be running them through semi-autos.....mainly through a Sig 556 with a 1/7 barrel. In my Hornady book, it list this weighted bullet in the "service gun" section, so I'll probably use Varget powder which I have on hand....

Any suggestings?

Re: Hornady 68 grain load data

My best load for that is 23.6gr Varget. So try the range between 1.5 grain up and 1 grain down.

Cool.....I've loaded the 55 VMAX to 24 grains of Varget before to replicate TAP ammo.....but never tried heavier bullets.

I haven't used the Vmax but I have had great luck with the 68 HPBT's and TAC out of 4 different AR's

Start around 23.5 and work up.

I was at 25.5 in a JP rifle and running about 2900+ fps

I couldn't get TAC to shoot well in anything.
The only guys I know that use it are Trap shooters - but they are always after patterns not groups!
May have to get another pound to try with some 68's
I trust smokshwn enough to try at least one more pound...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't used the Vmax but I have had great luck with the 68 HPBT's and TAC out of 4 different AR's

Start around 23.5 and work up.

I was at 25.5 in a JP rifle and running about 2900+ fps </div></div>

Question: whats the twist and length of your JP AR barrel?

68gr Hornady hpbt out of 22" barrel 1-9 twist

Lapaua brass/cci400/23.0gr Varget/.010 jammed/2800fps chronographed w/35P/6400DA @80.2degrees.

Multi sub 1/4 moa vertical 5 shot groups at 100yds with factory Rem 700

I was look for smokeshown's JP AR specs for use with his TAC load...N

68gr. Hornady BTHP Match
25.0gr. Win748
Rem 7.5 Primer
Winchester Brass
OAL - 2.255"

Accurate. (WOA 18" bbl 1-7 Twist)

One of my most accurate loads with the 68's was 22.1 H335. Its slow but accurate lol.

22.1 H335
Rem 7 1/2 Primer
2.240 Oal