• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hornady 75g BTHP .223

Steve in PA

Private
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2007
Okay, definitely found out my rifle likes this load. I am shooting Hornady 75gr BTHP, Remington cases, CCI 400's and 22.0gr of H335. COL is 2.250".

I shot this 3-round group a few days ago at 100yds from a rest.
20110630140511.jpg

Went out today just to verify and this was another 3-shot group.
75gr_bthp_7_3_2001.jpg

I know its only a 3-shot group, but I wanted to save the target!!

My inexpensive rifle is a Savage 12FV in .223 with a Mueller 4-16x 50 AO scope. I changed out the factory stock for a B&C Duramaxx. Now I just need to figure out what to do with this load!!

PS. This rifle also shoot the Hornady 55gr Vmax like a laser too!

Re: Hornady 75g BTHP .223

My rifle definitely likes these bullets. Just need to figure out what I want to do with the load. Mid-range zombie stopper!!!

RRA Varmint, 20" hvy bbl, 1 in 8 twist
75 gr Hornady BTHP Match
23.5 gr Varget
CCI 400 primers

Averages 0.5 MOA out to 400 yds

I've shot a bunch of them but probably won't use them again. They vary way too much from lot to lot (ie, you buy a box of them, set up your dies and they are 2.25, new box is either 2.27 or <2.24). Noslers seemed to be more consistent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bugshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BCP - do you think it's the ogive geometry or the bullet length? </div></div>

Geometry, you can see they are different just by looking at them side by side (shorter one has a stubbier look to it).

I had a box of 600 that was half empty and my local store had two boxes of 100 on sale for 14$ each; I bought them and threw them all in the same box *whoops*. Learn something new every day
frown.gif