• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hornady A-Max 168gr. for white tail deer?

p5200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
poplar bluff mo.
I've been reloading with these for my .308 win. and was wondering if they would perform well enough on deer with average shots from 50-150yds. with loads in my 30-06? Thanks!
smile.gif
PS I also, have some 150gr. Sierra GKs.

Re: Hornady A-Max 168gr. for white tail deer?

I think the evidence is there that it will more than work but some folks still get bent outta shape about using a match bullet on game.

I've killed 2 deer at 300 and 325y using 168 A-MAX out of a 308. They worked very well.

I have shot no less than 10 deer from 100 yards to 300 yards with the A-MAX it works great every time and leaves a huge exit wound. Also I have shot 5 hogs with excellent results too.

I shoot burger VLD's and am very happy with the results on both deer and elk.

I've used the 155 amax from my 308 and had good experiences, I'd imagine the 168 would perform the same or better. One WT doe at 15 yards through the spine and 2 hogs (less than 200 lbs) at less than 200 yards. All DRT shots, one hog didn't have an exit wound but never moved.

Knocked out 5 years worth of white tail with 168gr. Amax. Every year I zero for Amax Instead of FGMM.

Shot a fair few feral pigs with the 168gr A-Max worked well, no exits on bigger ones but DRT if hit right.

You are shooting a 308 at an animal that is fairly easy to kill. You will have no problem killing them. If you hit the shoulders you will have a lot of bloodshot meat. That being said what part of MO are you in. In most parts you can just buy another doe tag to make up for the meat loss.

To date, Ive taken whitetail with every available .30 cal Amax offered. All in a .308 Win. I personally have no doubts in the ability of this projo on light skinned game. I can't speak for anything larger than whitetail as far as the Amax goes. With shot placement being key in any situation, I say use and shoot them with confidence.

Colt

Amaxs will kill deer just fine, some may argue that they do not, but all mine have been DRT.

Killed quite a few very well with a 75 Amax from a .223.......you will be fine with that bullet.

Don't over think it. 168g A-Max will work plenty well on a deer or any thin skin game. Plenty of deer have been killed over the years with a lot less bullet. Hope you get a wall hanger!

ditto for the AMAX on critters....2 antelope tags filled this fall with the 6.5 CM and 140's....worked perfectly for me

uuuhhhmmm last time i shot a deer with an amax it bounced off of him and he ran away.lol

I hunt whitetails in Iron and Reynolds Counties with 168gr A-Max and never have an issue. Most shots at 100-300 yards and they go nowhere in a hurry.