• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HORNADY A-MAX , NOT HAPPY

Re: HORNADY A-MAX , NOT HAPPY

actually, now that you have both bullets load them up and do some testing. It would be worth wild to see if your hypothesis holds true with the AMAX and VLD's. Does the weight difference that you are seeing make a difference at distance? Report back on that then the discussions can begin.

vman:
I and many others have found the 308 Berger 168VLDs shoot just fine well off the lands in a Rem700. I load them at 2.825 inches over either Varget or Re15 with excellent results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm gonna start calling all my boolits, pills.</div></div>

Good idea ..........can call my hunting rounds "Sleeping Pills"

Well that's what they do don't they.... Put the critters to sleep, a very long and deep sleep.....lol. Is the term pill not a regularly used one in the states? We had a saying in my old unit " 9mm pill, best medicine for bad guys"

The term pill is used plenty over here Rob was just givin you shit. Thanks for filling out your profile and Welcome to the Hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Peacemaker where bouts in oz are you?

If your in VIC let me know if you ever head up to the ranges wouldn't mind getting to know some local 308 handloaders.

In regards to the Bergers, correct me if im mistaken, but the VLD's require the projectile to either touch the lands or be a bee's penis away from it... Knowing what my remington is like im guessing your going to have to seat those bad boys pretty far forward.

Let me know how they go.

Pay much for the Bergers? Tried Lapua 155 scenars? </div></div>The only prob with that is its a bit of a jump from the seating length of the AI mag to 20tho of the lands in mine almost the red tip length on the A-MAX. The 2 Stiller's are fine as they are single shot but the Remo in the AI stock /mags restricts the OAL. I have the 185 Burgers i might load a poofteenth of the lands and use them in the remo in a single shot situation for the 800m-1000m shots smashing wild dogs.

Jcummings thanks mate, was curious as i want to try the VLDs soon.

Peace, My 700 will soon have an AI chasis as well, so just stinks that the mags are only that length but then again having a detachable mag is between than not.

Im going to be loading my 155 Scenars to max mag length and just play with powders after that.

AR2208 powder is the Aussie equivolent of Varget, however I dont think they are exactly alike as varget loads seem to be smaller in comparison.

all the folks that said this thread is worthless are dead wrong. i am new to long range shooting and am wieghing every bullet and sorting them. this thread is not worthless because it taught a new shooter (me) that wieghing bullets is not nessessary. i was under the impression that for 1000 yd comps it was a must if you want to be competitive. guess not

I think we all weighed our bullets and components when we first got into long range shooting. However, I think after doing a lot of shooting at long distance, most of us have found that measuring the ogives for consistency is more fruitful than measuring projectile weight. The bullet weights can be a couple tenths off and it really doesn't matter that much as long as your ogives are measuring consistently. I've found that the Sierra's aren't too consistent unless you buy them in at least boxes of 500. Bergers are great bullets and they shoot well out of a lot of sticks, but even the Bergers don't fly good sometimes. Plus, the Bergers are a lot more expensive than the Sierras and the Amax. I'd suggest you look at the ogives instead of the weight.

Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all the folks that said this thread is worthless are dead wrong. i am new to long range shooting and am wieghing every bullet and sorting them. this thread is not worthless because it taught a new shooter (me) that wieghing bullets is not nessessary. i was under the impression that for 1000 yd comps it was a must if you want to be competitive. guess not </div></div>

The benchrest types that are looking for super tiny groups at the shorter distances that they shoot (200y), all the tiny inconsistencies from round to round are eliminated, or reduced to a minimum in order to obtain the finest accuracy. Those guys turn necks to .0001" tolerances, weigh bullets, then measure all those bullets length, then measure bearing length, trim meplats, everything! I've always been in the grasp of the tiny groups obsession, however all the while I know that 1/2moa really is good enough for what i'm doing. 1/2moa at 100-800 yards will do me just fine, after that if I can shoot 1moa at whatever range, I should be happy. I haven't been to any of the tactical matches, or practical shooting matches, however from what i've read at the long ranges they tend to use fairly large targets at long ranges (1.5-2moa), so as long as your rifle is fairly consistent, and you can estimate range and wind well, you can do well at those matches. You don't have to have a benchrest rifle to do well at a practical, or tactical match, but it doesn't hurt your confidence to have one, lol.

Branden

Give IMR4064 or your equivlant a go also. About the most accurate powder i've found in my two 308's.

Have shot many, many 168 AMAX bullets from a .308 and out to distances of 1300 yards with the 178s, and they are very accurate at distance. I have also been shooting only 140 AMAX loaded ammunition in the 6.5 Creedmoor to 1000 in comps over the past year and a half and my record can stand on it's own. You need to spend more time at the range than at the scale to see this. Try the bullets before you talk bad about them for a .7grn spread in weight.

Also Hornady does care quite a bit about their customers and listens to them as well. They are an excellent company. I am glad most here know this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also Hornady does care quite a bit about their customers and listens to them as well. They are an excellent company. I am glad most here know this. </div></div>

I can second this. I called on Friday about some issues with the priming operation in my progressive and also how I'd swizzle-stick'd a decapping stem in my Hornady 30-06 die (a berdan case slipped past my headstamp sorting)

Everything was completely covered under factory warranty, I was especially surprised about the decapping stem since I told them it was totally my fault.