• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hornady A-max opinions please

Jer

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2008
Loveland, Colorado
I read some real good reviews which lead me to purchase a few hundred 178's for my AR10 after reading people having tighter groups with this round than the SMK in 175 which is what I had planned on using. I'm hearing a couple negative things about the A-max rounds in the lighter weights and I'm wondering if it's the lighter weights specifically or the A-max design as a whole. So, feel free to chime in.. good or bad.

Re: Hornady A-max opinions please

The 168grn AMAX is the best shooting round out of my rifle so far. .6-.7 from a 1:12 remington SPS-T. The 168 AMAX are stable longer than the 168SMK. I've heard good things about the 178 AMAX, I have some loaded ammo coming this week to compare to the .75MOA I average w/ the 175SMK.

All things considered...it depends what your rifle likes, nothing else...

But I can't wait to get my hands on some of the new 178 BTHP by Hornady in their SuperPerformance line.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with any amax. They all have a place and a purpose the 178's are excelent bullets for the 308.

Shoot and enjoy and don't worry youself with what everyone on the Interweb thinks of it.

I really enjoy the 178gr. Amax. But shoot them out of a .300 WSM. They group well at all ranges tried so far. Only bullets that i have tried that I like better are Berger 185gr., but they are also twice as expensive!

Been running the 105 AMAX in 6mm, 120 and 140 AMAX in 6.5mm, 168 and 178 AMAX in .308 and 208 AMAX in 300WM and they all shoot great. Never a problem or complaint in the lot.

I have been using the 168A-Max in my 308 with well under MOA results. I have no complaints with the performance at all. I also have some 140s that I plan to try when my 260 is finished.

I've had great results with 162AMAX in my 7WSM.
Shot an antelope at 600yds and another at 410yds and both dropped on the spot.
Very good accuracy out to 1000yds.

I've shot the 178's in my 5r and they did fairly well. However, the 168's shot well out of my AP4 and my 5r.
In regards to performance other than paper, the two "test" subjects will attest to their deadly performance.
1. Through heart/lung at a downward angle via 30-06 went a short distance an kealed over. (Shot was from a stand)
2. Through the front of the neck and out the back of the neck taking a chunk off the upper back as well. DRT went from standing to flat. Oh an it was a whopping 34 paces
laugh.gif

Pick some an shoot'm you wont be disappointed. If ya dont like'm let me know I'll buy the rest from ya
laugh.gif

I like Amax's, and the price is much better than SMK's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like Amax's, and the price is much better than SMK's </div></div>

I liked that in addition to the fact that I can actually by A-max's and I can't find SMK's locally to save my life.

I'm ordering some Amax this week to try, also, since the HSM Amaxes shot well for me. Do you guys weigh/sort Amax bullets or just load 'em up?

Just load them up. I have never weighed an AMAX or any other bullet as a matter of fact.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm ordering some Amax this week to try, also, since the HSM Amaxes shot well for me. Do you guys weigh/sort Amax bullets or just load 'em up? </div></div>

I've weighed and measured some bullets, but I find there is no need to do either with the A-Max's, the consistency is amazing.

Get on board the Hornady express there products being components or loaded ammo has been stellar and the results have been great!!

I shoot 7 different Amax's in 5 calibers, every one of them delivers excellent performance. The 178's are an excellent bullet, the price is great, and they're very consistent.

Welcome to the red team
smile.gif

I'd order up a hundred or 5 and shoot them to see how well your rifle likes them. Every gun is going to be different.

I've been a Hornady fan for quite a while having grown up in Nebraska which is where they're located. I like to use their stuff and when I read that the Amax was having better luck for some than even the vaunted 175 SMK I was stoked. Then I read a couple negative things so I wanted to start a specific thread about them to get a better consensus in a single thread.

OK, I take back what I said above. The Amax won't do well for you, so whatever you have of them, just box 'em up and ship them my way. I'll even pay shipping for you as a favor
shocked.gif

The Amax line are excellent and very consistent, they're going to act differently in each rifle, but so many people (including myself) have excellent results with them that it's hard to ignore the success.

I ordered 500 of the 168gr Amax from MidSouth and eight pounds of H4895. I've been loading 168gr SMKs so I should have a pretty good start on finding a charge for them. A couple of guys I know hunt deer and even hogs with the Amaxes and swear by them.

Snakum- A good starting place for the Amax line seems to be about 10-15 thou jump. A couple of times I've never even messed with the seating depth after doing charge development, I didnt' see the point.

My 300 Rummy has a 30" 3 grove 1:12 benchmark barrel on it and it seems to get along very well with the 208gr A-Max.

I have shot the 168 gr Amax side by side with the 168 smk. They shot identical. Amax is cheaper so I am a fan. The 178's have served me great as well. The 208's, shoot great for my friend in his 300 mag and also buck the wind excellent.

I tried the 168s and 178s from a TRG-22.
Both were 1/2-5/8MOA. (same as 168 SMK)
Tried the 155s and the groups became smaller.

Also just tried the 155s in a RRA LAR-8 and was rewarded with groups in the .5s!

They have been a great choice for winning matches and hammering coyotes.