• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hornady A-Max

Re: Hornady A-Max

Bounces right off those thin skinned, medium sized animals.

Actually its fine. There are better hunting bullets if you are on an expensive hunting expetition, but for most hunting applications for deer sized game, it will do fine.

hide member diesel geek shot a kansas buck with a 140 amax from a creedmore and it smoked him

178 AMax
178ExitA.jpg

178Exit.jpg

105 Amax, 6mm Crusader... 13 year old son.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5EFBRvPhgic"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5EFBRvPhgic" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

"Did I get him?"
grin.gif

That's a neat video Scott.
He's a shootist!

I have mixed reviews. Results on a well placed shot i have no bad input, however on a not so well placed shot I have had less than stellar results. 7mm Rem Mag shooting 162 Amax, running deer I would call it a little far back, some call it the ass. Took two days and several miles to get a second shot in him and it was still running pretty dang good. After cutting him up the penetration was through the meat of the thigh but it did not break the leg bone.

Kilt three does this season between 550-600 with a 162 Amax from my 7Wizzer. 2940fps MV. Two passed thru, one recovered. These were all big (130 lb+ dressed) does...

entrance of #1 (the other two entrance wounds are indentical)
deer2011044.jpg

bullet found (beneath the hide on offside)
deer2011020.jpg

exit #2 (broadside in/out)
deer2011061.jpg

exit #3 (quartering away, behind the shoulder impact)
deer2011059.jpg

All shot with the 105 gr A-Max out of a .243 Win. @ 2775 fps. In my experience, they flat out work. As stated earlier, it may not be the best bullet for an ass shot. Although I don't have a picture of it here, I took another hog with a heart/lung shot at ~75 yds, and the A-Max punched through her grizzle shield without a problem but didn't exit. She only made it 25-30 yards.

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

Same hog in previous picture showing exit wound.

IMG_1968.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boudin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All shot with the 105 gr A-Max out of a .243 Win. @ 2775 fps. In my experience, they flat out work. As stated earlier, it may not be the best bullet for an ass shot. Although I don't have a picture of it here, I took another hog with a heart/lung shot at ~75 yds, and the A-Max punched through her grizzle shield without a problem but didn't exit. She only made it 25-30 yards.

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

</div></div>

Wow! Nice shots!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">105 Amax, 6mm Crusader... 13 year old son.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5EFBRvPhgic"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5EFBRvPhgic" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

Can't wait for my boy to do that someday in the future. Nice shot Tyler!

Thanks for the input. The reason why I was asking is I have read great reviews about the accuracy of a 168 grain A-max in .308 and would like to shoot them next year.

used a 178 amax out o my 308 to a cow elk last season at 169 ranged yards and ill be damn it didnt bounce of her.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arkansashntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They work as advertised.</div></div>

Funny you say this, because Hornady does not reccomend them for hunting. They obviously work, just repeating whats on their website.

.308 Win. 178 A-Max

Don't know what he weighed but he dropped in his tracks. There was no exit wound.

006-4.jpg

Wow awesome info and pics! For you guys that reload did you notice a difference in COAL using the AMAX'S with the new AMP jackets?

No pics, but I've drilled a number of animals up to whitetail sized game and never had one not drop dead within a couple seconds. They work great.

Longest engagement was a 360yd cross-lung and heart this year from a 140 out my 6.5CM.

Shortest was a <25yd shot on a buck with a 178 Amax stuffed in a 30-06. The bullet exitied and made a HUGE mess on the way through.

We've shot a couple hundred whitetails and muley's with the 6mm 105gr, 6.5mm 123 and 140gr, 7mm 162gr, and the 30cal 155, 168, 178 and 208gr Amax's. By far my favorite bullet for dealing death to deer sized game.

I have never used the A-max bullet, but I have used about every other bullet from Hornady. All have worked great and grouped well out of my rifles. My new 6mm Build, I will be using 105gr A-max's for Deer. Especially after seeing all the successful kills on here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popapi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow awesome info and pics! For you guys that reload did you notice a difference in COAL using the AMAX'S with the new AMP jackets? </div></div>

Yes, I have. I don't remember the exact difference in length, but it was something along the order of .005".

I also like using 168 A-Maxs on Speed Goats, Whitetails, and Muleys.

Has anyone used the AMP jacketed ones on game yet? Any comparisons in regard to the old ones in terminal performance? I've still got hundreds loaded for hunting, but curious on the new ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vereor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone used the AMP jacketed ones on game yet? Any comparisons in regard to the old ones in terminal performance? I've still got hundreds loaded for hunting, but curious on the new ones. </div></div>
Most of the deer and hogs in the pictures I posted were taken with the newer 105's with AMP jackets and a couple were with the older 105's, though I don't know which. I really can't say if there was much of a difference in performance. I only took one doe with a heart shot last season, which I know was with an AMP-jacketed 105. The shot was broadside at 220 yds, clean pass though and good expansion, with about a 1.5-2" exit wound. She ran maybe 30 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skg_Mre_Lght</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popapi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow awesome info and pics! For you guys that reload did you notice a difference in COAL using the AMAX'S with the new AMP jackets? </div></div>

Yes, I have. I don't remember the exact difference in length, but it was something along the order of .005".

I also like using 168 A-Maxs on Speed Goats, Whitetails, and Muleys. </div></div>Awesome thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I had posted this here already but apparently I didn't. This is a 75 Amax fired from CBM#2 at a doe from 330 ish yards, went most of the way through, but turned and stopped inside the rib cage. She stumbled for a few yards then went down.

DSC02438.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boudin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All shot with the 105 gr A-Max out of a .243 Win. @ 2775 fps. In my experience, they flat out work. As stated earlier, it may not be the best bullet for an ass shot. Although I don't have a picture of it here, I took another hog with a heart/lung shot at ~75 yds, and the A-Max punched through her grizzle shield without a problem but didn't exit. She only made it 25-30 yards.

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

</div></div>

back and to the left... back and to the left.... Nice sniping

I just had a 300 wsm built and chambered for the 208 amax. I plan to try it on elk this fall. Anyone used that bullet on elk?

Bb

75 amax at 3050 from a 22" 223ai is very deadly to all game...hogs hate it as much as deer.