• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady AMAX vs Sierra SMK's

sealteam10

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2013
Are Hornady Amax bullets as good better or worse then sierra SMK's??? I am shooting them out of my savage fcp 10. Thanks in advance.

AMAX are an excellent bullets. Shoot them in .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor and used to in 300WM when I had it. You will have to try them against the SMK to see which your rifle likes best but don't worry about quality.

I've found that the consistency of the bullets is better with Hornady's match stuff versus Sierra's.
My experience has been opposite. That being said op it would completely depend on the bullets you are comparing.

I've had very good consistencies with both. Just that my stick likes the amazes better.. I would get a box of both and shoot them to see what your gun likes better and decide from there

They are both high quality match bullets. Nothing to chose between them quality-wise.

IME the SMK seems to be more jump tolerant than the AMAX. The SMK's seem easier to get to shoot acceptably well in a wider range of jump. The AMAX's need some jump tuning to get them to shoot, but once you find it, they shoot.

I have found the 168 grain Sierra SMK to be a better projectile then the AMAX. I have shot them side by side and got better results with the SMK. I load the SMK with H4895 for the M1A and with RL15 for the AR10.

Depends what Amaxes you get. They had a bad run on them here recently at least with the 6.5 140's

In my SSG-04 THE 175 SMK shoot a tighter groups then the 178 A-MAX at 100 yards. The SMK also seems to score more hit over 600y yards the the A-MAX do.

Both are good, Amax is a little cheaper. If your using a 308 the 178 Hornady bthp when available is great. But it require some seating depth adjustments.

I sold 400+ 178 A-MAX and have gone to the Berger 175 Match BT long range which work better for me then the SMK or A-MAX.