• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady Auto Charge Varget Settings

Crose5817

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2018
Cuyahoga Falls, OHio
So this may sound like a silly question, but I am gonna go there any way. Currently relatively new to the reloading scene. I have been at it for about 6 months now with good success. I am loading 308 168grn Hornady BTHP with Varget. Recently I purchased a Hornady Lock-n-Load Auto Charge to help speed up the process. My questions is does anyone have any recommended settings for the speed and trickle speed settings that work best with Varget? I know that each machine may vary, however just looking for some recommendations of where to start. I appreciate the advice!

For whatever reason they all hate varget. You want slow speed and have it set to slow 2.0 grains before intended charge level. It’ll still hiccup every now and then. It’s a perfect storm of auger design and kernel size that leads to hiccups.
I’ve also found that it tends to meter better the more powder you have in the hopper.

Reactions: Shifty6BR
I have a 308 load with Varget and the Hornady LnL auto scale...Mode: Manual Speed: Low and the Hornady scale works best if you let it "warm up" by turning it on 5 min or so before you use it and then Calibrate it before beginning throwing charges. With this routine I usually only get 1 out of 50 throws go over. YMMV