• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady case prep center

karb

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2009
Any thoughts on this machine? I understand there's a few case specific trimmers that will fly trough the chore of trimming length, but this unit does pockets,burrs,chamfer and brushings as well as length.
I currently have a hand Cranker by lyman . I'm just looking to step up to something automated like this hornady. Aside from reviews, I'm hoping to here from guys that own it.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Karb in VA

Re: Hornady case prep center

I run one. It comes with everything I needed. I haven't had any trouble with it, but have only done a couple thousand cases with it. I like the fact I can do any caliber I have. IF you are doing 1 caliber I hear the Girauds are where its at. I do 5.56, 308, 30-30, .270, and can do a lot more with out buying any extras. Once it is adjusted there is no good way of locking it in place so make sure you don't crank. That is the only thing I do not like. It is easy to stay away from the crank though.

IMHO a Giraud trimmer will be faster on the trim chamfer side, you should already own a cordless drill, primer pocket uniforming and flashhole deburr should also be faster with the cordless, my advice is get a Giraud instead of the Hornady unit.

Thanks for the replies.
It'll be 308/243 for me with 5.56 on occasion.
Will one giraud unit be able to adapt all three rounds?
Their webpage says extra holders and cutters available, so
Does this mean one motor unit with swap out fittings for multiple calibers?

243 260 308 all the same holder, 223 has its own shell holder, I will be buying separate holders and cutters so my conversion time is nil, yes its exspensive but well worth it, there is a nice video on you tube with it in action, I can do a case every 5-7 seconds which is faster than the video.

Thanks cobra. I may just be sold on this.
So for 243/308, I only need a seperate cutter?

Also, the website shows a neck turning cutter.
Have you used this as well? I'm wondering if that cut
occurs simultaneously with the length cut.

Thanks again !!

I have the Prep Center and love it. I bought RCBS 3 way cutters for 5.56, 6.5, .308, and .338LM so those calibers I trim, chamfer and deburr at the same time. The RCBS cutters work but are a little shorter; in order to make sure that they do not bottom out I use plenty of Teflon tape on the threads. The rest of the calibers I have to chamfer and deburr manually.
As others mentioned, the Giraud is faster, but the Hornady Prep center is more versatile.
Two negatives: 1) I wish the fuse was a little more accessible and one of these day I will make it so, so far I've blown a fuse twice and have to disassemble the cover to change it.
2) I wish the center adjustment bolt was fine thread to give it more fine adjustment.

Well built machine besides the one big plastic gear which you can
see from the back.

I use one and like it. Everything I do to prep in one place except turn necks. They have not released a full set of "Hornady" tools for it yet (real smart business plan Hornady) even though they advertise them. I just bought RCBS primer pocket uniformers and flash hole debarring shafts to use on mine. The adjustment for the case trim is not real easy for dialing in precision so I made dummy cases at trim length for all my calibers. That makes it easy to go back and set it up.