• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady Custom and Competition dies

georgelza

Private
Minuteman
hi all.

Curious... the difference is the presence of the micrometer on the competition die.

when you buy a custom die set... and a micrometer separate.
the custom seating die has the "rough" seater at the top, with a little black "o-ring" below it, if you swop this unit out for the micrometer, do you still use the o-ring, can't imagine as it introduces possible flex that you don't want.

G

hi all.

Curious... the difference is the presence of the micrometer on the competition die.

when you buy a custom die set... and a micrometer separate.
the custom seating die has the "rough" seater at the top, with a little black "o-ring" below it, if you swop this unit out for the micrometer, do you still use the o-ring, can't imagine as it introduces possible flex that you don't want.

G

No, remove the o-ring.

The o-ring is to provide tension to the seater adjustment screw so that finer adjustments can be made and also act as a compression lock.

The micrometer has a spring inside that essentially does the job of that oring.

... ok ok...

my question was not what anyone thinks of what I have, yes I have this already and my question was such to enable me to use it correctly.
yes i know there are better dies out there, and when I'm ready I will ask which they are, we actually have a guy this side that makes dies compatible, if not better than SAC, UL, ... you name them, and I might buy on of his down the line...
but again, that was not my question.

G

I have a Hornady Custom w/ micrometer set from GAP for my 6GT and it’s awesome. I make ammo that’s as good or better than what I get from any other brand I own by Wilson, Forster, Redding, etc.

If made correctly, a die is a die, a relatively uncomplicated hunk of metal. If a guy wants to spend $600 on a die it’s not because he’s smarter or more discerning than others, he’s just a sucker.

I have a Hornady Custom w/ micrometer set from GAP for my 6GT and it’s awesome. I make ammo that’s as good or better than what I get from any other brand I own by Wilson, Forster, Redding, etc.

If made correctly, a die is a die, a relatively uncomplicated hunk of metal. If a guy wants to spend $600 on a die it’s not because he’s smarter or more discerning than others, he’s just a sucker.

So we went from “better dies” to “$600 on a die” to make a point, lol.

For the record I was thinking about a dedicated micrometer die rather than a die with an afterthought attachment. They are not $600, and actually closer to $100.

Re your afterthought…
Hornady sells the custom die, which have the little threaded top holding the seating stem in place.
They then sell the computing for which is the exact same body, but the “little threaded top” replaced with a micrometer.
Not exactly an afterthought.
G

So we went from “better dies” to “$600 on a die” to make a point, lol.

For the record I was thinking about a dedicated micrometer die rather than a die with an afterthought attachment. They are not $600, and actually closer to $100.

I wasn’t talking about you.

I was just pointing out the ridiculousness that usually ensues when talking about dies and reloading shit in general. The phenomenon where people mistakenly assume higher cost/price automatically equals better performance.

Re your afterthought…
Hornady sells the custom die, which have the little threaded top holding the seating stem in place.
They then sell the computing for which is the exact same body, but the “little threaded top” replaced with a micrometer.
Not exactly an afterthought.
G

It is a trinket. Redding makes one too. But they are not on par with a dedicated micrometer seater die.

"If in doubt, check it out." Measuring to see consistency will help narrow down whether it's equipment or process that needs work.

Also wanted to add - Add on micrometers to convert standard seater dies isn't a big deal and if manufactured properly, nothing would be wrong with the product from a functional perspective.

Forster is considered to be a great reloading die manufacturer and the major difference between their Standard Bench Rest Seater die and their Ultra micrometer seater die is the micrometer head. If Forster wanted to offer a micrometer upgrade for their standard Bench Rest seater die, they could (unfortunately they don't), as the sleeve that the micrometer head would screw onto is the same between the two product lines.

Even Whidden makes a micrometer top for their Simple Seater die.

1696270388800.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Haney