• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady Disappointing

Seeking_Coyotes

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2017
Had a few interactions with Hornady the past two years that were very negative. Don't seem to be the company they once were. Just had another last night. My 5 boxes of overpriced .243 Win. brass had no flash holes in the primer pockets???

Attachments

• xx.jpg
    xx.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Are you asking if there's no primer pockets or are you making a statement?

They have primer pockets but no flash hole.

Why the hell are you buying anything Hornady considering your recent past experiences with their shit?

Had a few interactions with Hornady the past two years that were very negative. Don't seem to be the company they once were. Just had another last night. My 5 boxes of overpriced .243 Win. brass had no primer pockets???
??? You mean. . . no flash holes.

Are you asking if there's no primer pockets or are you making a statement?

They have primer pockets but no flash hole.

Why the hell are you buying anything Hornady considering your recent past experiences with their shit?
I will not be anymore...amen. Long story on that brass, was trying to recreate their factory load. I'm done with them.

That’s actually hilarious. I wonder how many they sent out like that.

People talk about getting a vehicle built on a Friday but damn.

New guy was like F’N send it no one will notice I skipped a few steps.

• Haha
Reactions: Makinchips208
That’s 1KBR match brass. The public isn’t supposed to have it. They make it that way so their team shooters can control flash hole diameter and concentricity. If you have a mini lathe, you ought to be able to get them perfectly uniform.

• Haha
Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
That’s 1KBR match brass. The public isn’t supposed to have it. They make it that way so their team shooters can control flash hole diameter and concentricity. If you have a mini lathe, you ought to be able to get them perfectly uniform.
It’s uber rare!!!! Start the auction at 1,000 bucks a piece

You effin amateurs....those are the super precision model. All elite loaders drill and then ream their flash holes so they are dead center and perfectly uniform for the bestest ignition. Sheeesh.

ETA that's what I get for not reading every post @jakelly beat me to it oh well.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
Just out of curiosity, is it all 250 cases with no flash hole and do each box have the same lot number?

Nothing will happen. I know multiple people who have had this happen with factory ammo. They just don't go off.

The video would bore you.
I was smashing shotgun casings with a hammer as a little kid because they went 💥.
Was fun until one made my foot bleed. What a dumb kid! 😂
But yeah the suggestion for a video of a primer in that thing in a rifle would be boring.

I wonder how they select the brass that goes for sale and the brass that goes to the ammo line and if any of them could have made it there?

I feel bad for the guy that was just loading Hornady ammo in his dangerous game rifle for his upcoming hunt- and is now making himself crazy after seeing this. :)

Reactions: .505gibbs
I was smashing shotgun casings with a hammer as a little kid because they went 💥.
Was fun until one made my foot bleed. What a dumb kid! 😂
But yeah the suggestion for a video of a primer in that thing in a rifle would be boring.
We used to take them shot portion out and tape 12 gauge shells to our BB gun barrels.

Just this Thurs I took a few boxes of 140 ELD-M, from a case bought during the COVID mania, out with my cousin to his beautiful 500 yd range.

Kept finding cartridges in those 3 boxes that wouldn’t chamber without slamming them in. Slam the bolt and then have to slam the bolt handle down.

This is in a SAAMI chamber that has eaten all sorts of factory ammo from cheap to ELD-M and Berger without a hiccup.

I’m thinking at the time that Hornady fucked up the shoulder on the brass but that didn’t turn out to be the case.

Got home and took a bore scope (and yeah, I’m not throwing it away! Lol) to the chamber and there was all kinds of copper scraped onto the body section of the chamber. Damn things were just not sized right.

Some BT Copper Remover on a mop cleaned up the chamber very quickly and the rifle cycled other ammo just fine. I did not put any of that Hornady into it as this was in my garage and I may have had to fire a stuck case so as to get it out.

I’ll take some yo the range on Mon and see if I have this issue again with very clean chamber walls.

But personally, I think it was just crap QC by Hornady.

Hornady sucks. Said they would send out replacement immediately. Called today and they told me they do not have .243 Win. brass so I will have to wait until they have some for me. WTF I'm done with this shit company.

Hornady sucks. Said they would send out replacement immediately. Called today and they told me they do not have .243 Win. brass so I will have to wait until they have some for me. WTF I'm done with this shit company.

As i asked in your post at AS, what do you expect them to do? Send you something they don't have? They will send them when they are available. Did you contact the retailer you bought them from?

Reactions: DIBBS and Im2bent
what do you expect them to do? Send you something they don't have?
1. Refund him his purchase price
2. Offer him a choice of any other Hornady product of similar price to what he paid
3. With a bit of thought we could probably come up with some more ideas

Reactions: Taylorbok
1. Refund him his purchase price
2. Offer him a choice of any other Hornady product of similar price to what he paid
3. With a bit of thought we could probably come up with some more ideas
He didn't buy it from them so he needs to go to the retailer for a refund. Does nobody on any site get that? You buy something at Walmart and bring it home and it doesn't work you bring it back to Walmart. Same here but Hornady would have replaced it if they had it but they didn't right now but will when it's available so he is getting new brass eventually.

He wants .243 brass and already saying he is done with them so I am sure he doesn't want anything else but if he called and talked to them they might. Reading here though you can kind of guess what the discussion went like.

He didn't buy it from them so he needs to go to the retailer for a refund. Does nobody on any site get that? You buy something at Walmart and bring it home and it doesn't work you bring it back to Walmart. Same here but Hornady would have replaced it if they had it but they didn't right now but will when it's available so he is getting new brass eventually.

He wants .243 brass and already saying he is done with them so I am sure he doesn't want anything else but if he called and talked to them they might. Reading here though you can kind of guess what the discussion went like.
You asked what they could do since they didn't have the product to replace the absolutely fucking defective product that they shipped....and if they had any interest at all in cementing customer loyalty (instead of torpedoing it) then YES, they could refund him his purchase price.

You're standing on...eh, a technicalities, IMO...here. And the result of Hornady also standing on a technicality (i.e. you didn't buy it directly from us so even though our name is on the box, pound sand) is that they now lost a customer...perhaps for life.

And what about offering him some other in stock product that he may also want in lieu of the .243 brass, eh.

And no....none of us have any idea what the temperature of the discussion was from posts on the damn internet...and the Hide in particular.

No, Rob...I don't agree with you think you are way off base on this.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Im2bent
You asked what they could do since they didn't have the product to replace the absolutely fucking defective product that they shipped....and if they had any interest at all in cementing customer loyalty (instead of torpedoing it) then YES, they could refund him his purchase price.

Your standing on technicalities here....and the result of them also standing on technicalities is that they now lost a customer...perhaps for life.

And what about offering him some other in stock product that he may also want in lieu of the .243 brass, eh.

And no....you have zero idea what the nature of the discussion was and are extrapolating it....assuming....from a post on the damn internet.

No, Rob...I think you are way off base on this.

Do you...or have you...worked for a manf with any customer relationship responsibilities at all?

That guy was pissed at Hornady before this and this wouldn't make him a customer for life. If he just waits he will get his brass. Or he can return it where he bought it. Not technicalities but the way to end this.

If he asked for something other than the brass they may have done that. Again you see the way this is posted and how do you think the phone call went? You also have zero idea of the way the discussion went but seeing as he has posted this on multiple forums and his tone then there is an easy assumption to lead to his being more than cordial. You know the old saying "you get more bees with honey than vinegar"? You can think I am off base but I don't.

And for the last line, nope. I was a Marine, Police Officer and Firefighter. No customer relationships at all. LOL

Has Hornady blamed the customer yet? I don't know where this was originally posted on the internet so I don't know where on the continuum of Hornady customer service we are.

Has Hornady blamed the customer yet? I don't know where this was originally posted on the internet so I don't know where on the continuum of Hornady customer service we are.

He was on here and elsewhere complaining before even contacting Hornady. As you see above they offered to send him new brass when it was back in stock.

He was on here and elsewhere complaining before even contacting Hornady. As you see above they offered to send him new brass when it was back in stock.

So the customer is being blamed? I was really worried Hornady wouldn't be consistent but it sounds like my concern was unfounded. Sounds like Hornady is delivering Hornady quality and treating customers like Hornady treats customers. Judging by my experience, and the experience of others, the next step on the Hornady continuum of customer service is the customer absorbing the loss and buying the same product from another manufacturer.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
So the customer is being blamed? I was really worried Hornady wouldn't be consistent but it sounds like my concern was unfounded. Sounds like Hornady is delivering Hornady quality and treating customers like Hornady treats customers. Judging by my experience, and the experience of others, the next step on the Hornady continuum of customer service is the customer absorbing the loss and buying the same product from another manufacturer.

Lol not sure how you read that but no there was no blame by Hornady on the customer at all. They offered to send him new brass when it was back in stock. Period.

Lol not sure how you read that but no there was no blame by Hornady on the customer at all. They offered to send him new brass when it was back in stock. Period.

OP should buy some Hornady bullets. They can't spin apart without those pesky flash holes.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01