• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady, first press?

Slowstang

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2009
Sacramento, CA
So, I have used the search function and read all the stickys...
Now that we have gotten that out of the way, I also ordered Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Handbook.

I hope to order reloading supplies soon and have a few questions.

I like the concept of the Hornady Lock n Load system. I plan to load for two different .308's and a 7mm RM. It seems like it would be a big advantage using that system. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So far I am looking at the Hornady Lock n Load Classic Kit.

I am a part of the buy once cry once crowd and would rather save my pennies a little while longer than spend money on things I will quickly replace.

So let me have it, is this kit worth it or should I look elsewhere?

Re: Hornady, first press?

The system is fine - I like Dillon 550 but that is just me. When it comes to 308 I never use the Dillon as a Progressive and I use a stand alone powder measurer (RCBS 3BR) to ensure I am getting the best consistency that I can. I can load it as a progressive but I choose not to.

The next step is dies and I am sure everyone will have an opinion on that one too but I like Redding dies. When it comes to reloading there is a base set of knowledge that everyone needs to know and then most people go off and find "better" ways of doing parts of the process. In my opinion the case prep process, resize and trimming is the most time consuming but that is where you can make or break the precision aspect of loading. The act of powder (consistency is important but can be mitigated by good equipment) and bullet seating (mitigate with good dies and measuring tools) is very important but I don't think it is the most important. One thing you need to do is to learn to measure from the Ogive of the bullet for seating as that is the most consistent part of the bullet. I didn’t do that for years and was very frustrated.

Powder measure .... "(RCBS 3BR)"

???

I would suggest either a Redding Big Boss 2 or maybe a T-7. I have no personal experience with Hornady presses. I'm using a RCBS RockChucker I bought new in 1972. For volume 45 acp and 223 I use a Dillon XL650.

I have experience with Hornady "New Dimension" bushing dies. They are very good. I prefer Redding dies for precision bolt gun work. Specifically an "S" type, full length sizing die and "Comp" seater. (You can full length size with a F/L die or neck size only. You can't do F/L with a neck only die.) I also like the Redding "Competition" shell holders. You can make precision adjustments, without messing with the die.

I prime (all except what runs on the Dillon) with a Lee AutoPrime.

Harrell's Premium powder measure can't be beat. Some other customs come close to being equal. But not quiet. I have a dribbler I made in the 1970s that I use mostly.

For an electronic scale, I like the Dillon D-Terminator. I have an old one. And a friend of mine just bought a new one. For a mechanical scale I like RCBS better grade one.

The only way I have found to get a good set up is piece it together yourself. Most kits will get you started but leave you wanting more, etc.

Lee has the breech lock press. It sounds very similar to what you are talking about with the Hornady Lock n Load. You set your die once, then pop it out to change it out. Just thought i would throw that out there.

I have the lock n load in single and progressive and am very satisfied with them.
HOWEVER if I was buying a press today hands down it would be a Forster CoAx.
And I switched over to Forster dies about 7 years ago for any new die purchases. They just produce less neck runout and make more accurate ammo.
I don't own any Reddings, but they cost quite a bit more than the others so I
would expect them to perform as well or better.

Say Slow & Stready,
I've had my Hornady L-&-L Progressive since shortly after 9-11 and really enjoy it and your thinking is correct about the Lock&Load colletts and the way they work but it isn't only swaping out dies for different calibers that makes them advantages with the progressive press.

For instance, just yesterday I decided I needed to double check the seating depth of my Grendel rounds I loaded as I felt maybe I had them seated a bit too deep and I did.

Well, the 6.5 Grendel dies from Hornady is a three die set so as I had no need of the resizing/decaping die I gave it an 1/8 twist and lifted it out of it's locking collar and set it aside, so I could feed in cases in every third spot without having to worry about the resizing die being in the way. That left two empty spots before the powder measure and then the seating die and the last empty spot prior to the ejection point. In this last spot I then inserted the Hornady lever action bullet puller in it's L-n-L collett and locked it in place which I had set up so as I operated the press arm I could run the ram all the way up as normal and give a bit of a pull down on the puller arm and raise the press arm back up a bit to pull the bullets out of the cartridges a bit so they could be reseated after I completed the forty I had done.

Then after I reset the seating micrometer on the bullet seater as desired I again feed in a cartridge in every third spot and went through the bunch and reseated the forty bullets in a fairly short space of time.

The points I'm trying to make here are that the L-n-L progressive can be used like a single stage if you want/need to but still retain the flexibility of having the progressive to use as desired.

The auto advance of the shell plate is a very handy feature also
and Hornady is top notch about standing behind their products and customers which I can attest to personally! On a couple of occasions I screwed up a decaping spindel & expander, my fault, I called Hornady to find out how much it was to buy a replacement spindle and expander and they said we'll send you one which they did along with even a new decaping pin, tatally free of charge!!

I'm very pleased with the Hornady Company and there products are top notch. Also the Hornady dies are all reasonably priced and good quality.

I also see we don't live too far apart as I'm a ways South of you down 99 and to the East of Madera in the foothills.

The LNL feature is not a big deal on the Hornady single stage press. It saves time, but not that much.

I use a Rockchucker for my single stage and a Hornady for my progressive. I like Hornady products as they are inovative and would probably go to their single stage press over the Rockchucker if I had a reason to get a new one.

That being said, the Forster Co-Ax singles stage press is the best single stage you can buy. If you are willing to cry once to get the best, get the Co-Ax.

I don't much care for the "quick release" bushings but Hornady's press is as good as others of its general type. Most folks put far more focus on a press then they need. Actually, they all work quite well and equal ammo can be made on any of them.

Considering how long a typical loading session runs, saving maybe 2-3 minutes changing dies has no real significance. Just don't lock the dies down with a wrench and they change fast enough. All dies need to be is finger tight. A normally tightened lock ring will insure they need no adjustment after installation.

If you are in the buy once, cry once crowd, no kit will satisfy you. The Hornady kit is good, but it is not the best (none are). No one manufacturer has best in class tools for every facet of reloading.

Start out with a great press and dies, and build on that.

Some of my recommended tools:

Forster Co-Ax press
RCBS Universal hand primer
L.E. Wilson trimmer & case holders
Hornady Cam-Lock bullet puller & collets
RCBS ChargeMaster powder dispenser
Forster rifle dies
Hornady pistol dies
Lee Collet rifle neck sizer die
Lee Factory Crimp Die (for rifle and bottleneck pistol cartridges only)
Lyman or Redding M-type expander dies
Redding Profile crimp die for revolver cartridges

Andy

I looked up that Forster Co-Ax press on Cabelas website after everyone was talking about it, and it has Fantastic reviews there too. Seems like that would be the one to go for if you can afford it. Also, If you are going to load smaller rounds like 5.7x28 or anything like that don't get the RCBS Universal hand primer. I made that mistake, and had to get a lee auto prime instead. The universal does not go that low.

wow. Thank you for all the help. I'll definitely look into the reloading kit that was suggested. It sounds like the Forester Co-Ax press is the only one to consider. I appreciate all the help and I will continue this thread when I get my reloading equipment and start.