• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hornady LNL AP 338 Lapua Shell Plate??

SoCalFun

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
CA, USA
Anyone would happen to know which shell plate would fit the 338 lapua magnum case for the Hornady LNL AP? I plan on loading a few rounds to see how it works out before I spend more money on a single stage. I tried it for my 30-06 and it worked fantastic, I did well on a steel plate at 600 yards.

Re: Hornady LNL AP 338 Lapua Shell Plate??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WynnWynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone would happen to know which shell plate would fit the 338 lapua magnum case for the Hornady LNL AP? I plan on loading a few rounds to see how it works out before I spend more money on a single stage. I tried it for my 30-06 and it worked fantastic, I did well on a steel plate at 600 yards. </div></div>

Oddly enough, they don't make a shell plate, so I'm thinking that the AP won't accomodate the large 338LM cartridge.

For shell holders, it's #43.

Hornady shell plate/holder chart

Sorry.

Chris

I don't have experience with that cartridge on a LnL but just looking at my LnL press, I doubt it would even fit. By the time the revolver times into place, the cartridge would hit the top of the press.

I just put a 338 case on my LNL AP and it does index on time to enter the die (by quite a margin) so that wouldn't be an issue. However, if they don't produce the shellplate, it's a moot point.

I did some searching on the web, some folks have used their LNL for the 338 LM, how I load my 30-06 is to insert bullet into the die then wait for the case to come up and it works perfectly.

I believe I have found a solution, I reload my S&W500 on the LNL, I have 2 #44 shell plates. I think they are pretty close in size, will have to check it out when I get home tomorrow. Thanks all for the inputs, hopefully it will turn out well without using the dremel.

You can get a shell plate for the Hornady LnL AP press. It is available through their Custom Shop and as I recall it runs about $25-30 and can take a few weeks or longer to have one made.

About 2 years ago I gave them a call to ask about getting one made. Not for regular use but more to have as a last case resort if for some reason I needed to use the LnL instead of one of my single stages to get some ammunition made up. I was told clearly by the guy who runs that part of the Custom Shop that even though Hornady can, and obviously will, make you one they do not recommend loading 338LM on the LnL AP.

Thank, I will definitely give #14 a go tomorrow!!!

There's a reason (probably a good one) why Hornady doesn't market a LNL AP shellplate for one of the hottest cartridges in recent memory.

Chris

I'm going to take a #14 and widen the opening with a file to accomadate the .338 Lapua. I think this will work fine.