• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady lock and load concentricity gauge

Re: Hornady lock and load concentricity gauge

I have one and love it.
No adverse effect on neck tension,
Depending how crooked your ammo is to begin with, your only gently 'tweaking' some of your rounds a couple of thou anyway.

It certainly reduced the amount of fliers I used to get!

I recommend it
smile.gif

Do you have to buy a lot of extras to fit different calibers or does everything come with it? I just load the basics 223,243,270,30-30,308,30-06,& 7MM RUM. I have looked and studied on it for a while now but am still holding off till I see a little more on them.

Thanks, I've watched some shooters check their rounds before and just shoot the straight ones in a match, but the ability to straighten them out got me interested.

It's a one size fits all, .22-.50cal

There is a 'knack' to using it, but easy to get the feel of, after your first 10 rounds or so you will have got it licked, and you can breeze through the rest.

Mine made a slight ring mark on the bullet, similar to that which a seater stem can make, but I just polished the tool quickly with a dremmel, and it ok now.

I had one, I bought it right after it was announced, and I waited 4 months to get it, the price was 78 bucks delivered, while waiting I got impatient and bought a Sinclair Concentricity Gage, I never trusted the Hornady unit, when the Sinclair read zero, the Hornady read .002 sometimes alot more, and the straightening feature worked OK, at the Shot Show I checked out NECOs booth and saw there little fixture to straighten ammo, it's dead simple to use, I use the Sinclair unit to check, and when needed I use the NECO plate to straighten, if a all in one tool is what you want look at the H&H or Bersin.

I wish you could check just brass with it instead of loaded rounds only.

Yeah, loaded rounds only,
But I've had no reading issues with mine,
I have compared with a redding gage on a v-block,
Both agreed with each other.

It does make a difference with technique though.
You have to lightly grip the black ball end with your fingertips while rotating the case, but if you grip or exert pressure one-sided on the ball, it shows up the movement on the dial..
Once you get the knack though, I get consistent and accurate results. For the price, it works well for me!

I got one and didn't like it at first. The directions said take the measurement on the bullet and correct by pushing against the bullet. I found that measurements were way way diff than my rcbs v block. And sometimes correcting seemed to take it in the wrong direction. Then I found somewhere that someone set it up to check runnout (on loaded ammo) on the neck, very close to the case mouth. All of a sudden the measurements started to match more closely between the two. And I also push against the case neck (near the mouth) to make corrections. Now I get much much better results. It is very rare that I can't get most loaded ammo down under .003 tir. I've been loading alot of tipped tsx lately and most standard seating dies seem to have trouble getting good runnout even when sized cases are excellent. I think it comes from pushing down against the tip of the bullet and it gets things off center. It SUCKS when you get about 30% of $.80 cent top quality bullets seated at bad runnout. Now I can correct the ones that are bad. AND YES....IT HAS CUT DOWN AT FLYERS WHEN TESTING AT 300 YDS + BIG TIME. I now like the tool much better.

I have heard enough good things that I will be ordering one. Just have to find a place on the bench to mount it.