• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady Lock and Load or Dillon 650

500grains

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
dirt nap
Purpose - Load 223 and .45.

I have a Dillon 550 and frankly I think it is a bit cheesy, and there is no way I could ever load 500 rds per hour on it like they claim. So I am looking at an upgrade and the Hornady looks like it is better made.

Re: Hornady Lock and Load or Dillon 650

Do a google snipershide search for previous threads in the reloading section - I've written at length about this very thing.

The short version : I have a 550 and 650, and have set up and used the Hornady. Get the hornady.

Love my Hornady. Do some research, there are good posts and articles written about both machines. Pro's and Con's to each.

sold my dillon awhile ago, hornady is much better. buy extra spring case retainers (about $2 each)they tend to get messed up every so often. also the priming mechanism is a little sensitive; had to work with it to make it go smoothly.

Hornady has a new bullet feeder that works beautifully with the loader.

Get the AP,works likes champ.
Use some removable loctite on the shell plate bolt. This will keep the shell plate bolt from loosing up and pinching the case retaining spring.

As someone already mentioned extra case springs are nice to have on hand.
http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Lnlap-Case...mp;sr=8-1-fkmr1

As for priming,The press sometimes fails to pick up primers when the primer tube gets low.
Mark the primer follower with a piece of tape when it indicates where the press is down to 10 primers. Refilling the primer tube at this time will help ensure the press picks up a primer and you have a primer in the case.

For loading 45acp give the Lee 4 die set a try. I have had good luck with them.
http://www.amazon.com/LEE-DIE-CARBIDE-PI...;sr=1-1-catcorr

On the Hornady that I helped my buddy set up, there were severe primer feeding issues at first. The primer slide was rough.

I slid it along a fine file, dressed the edges/corners, then polished the bottom surface of it by wet-sanding it on sandpaper, from 220grit to 1000grit. This was all it took to get the primer feeding system working 100%.

Buy lots of extra die-bushings. Once a die gets positioned into a bushing (which locks it into the "toolhead"), you don't want to have to remove it. For $5 each, you shouldn't ever have to.

The shellplate spring retainer is a consumable part for sure - keep several extras on hand. If you're not being ignorant, they don't go bad fast - but they do need periodical replacement.

For pistol dies, I choose Dillon. I am aware of no other pistol die set that compares to Dillon. Pricey but excellent.

And if you don't know what you're doing, make sure you select pistol dies that seat the bullet in one operation, and then crimp the case in another, as opposed to the typical single-stage type sets that seat/crimp in one operation.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the AP,works likes champ.
Use some removable loctite on the shell plate bolt. This will keep the shell plate bolt from loosing up and pinching the case retaining spring.

As someone already mentioned extra case springs are nice to have on hand.
http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Lnlap-Case...mp;sr=8-1-fkmr1

As for priming,The press sometimes fails to pick up primers when the primer tube gets low.
Mark the primer follower with a piece of tape when it indicates where the press is down to 10 primers. Refilling the primer tube at this time will help ensure the press picks up a primer and you have a primer in the case.

For loading 45acp give the Lee 4 die set a try. I have had good luck with them.
http://www.amazon.com/LEE-DIE-CARBIDE-PI...;sr=1-1-catcorr
</div></div>

Removable locktite is a good idea, but if you go back and forth between calibers, it might add a little effort to the process.

My $0.02...get the Hornady. I have tried several presses and have found that I get a more consistant seating depth with the Hornady because the ram "cams over" once you reach the bottom of the pull. Very nice and well build and the speed of changing dies is very nice.

I do enjoy my LNL. I use mine for .40 and 9mm. I also have a 650 which is set up for .223. Very difficult to pick a favorite. They are both great machines.

I use the Hornady rig... it's my first reloading setup so I can't comment on it vs others, but it's pretty nice. Pretty decent instructions for knuckledraggers like me, also. You can really crank out some rounds with it, it's nice.
Good advice on buying extra bushings- ya, like turbo54 said- once you set up a particular caliber, the bushing is removed with the die when you want to change calibers so it helps to have extra. Ya, the shellplate bolt will come loose so the loctite thing is a good idea, also.

i only own the hornady so i cannot comment on the dillion. I do feel that the hornady LNL ap is an amazing press. i just need a few more penneys to get the case feeder

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1in9twist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do enjoy my LNL. I use mine for .40 and 9mm. I also have a 650 which is set up for .223. Very difficult to pick a favorite. They are both great machines. </div></div>

I agree, both have their strengths and weaknesses, in the end it's a wash.

I drop one of those long wooden skewers (big tooth pic) in the primer tube when it gets down aways for additional weight with the Hornady.

Both good presses.

I've owned both and stuck with the 650....

If you dont want that 550 let me know..i could load 500 an hour without to much trouble on mine.

I have an older Hornady press. It sets on a shelf and collects dust. I have a Dillon 650, ocassionally I have to replace a worn out part because it gets used, alot.