• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hornady Lock-N-Load bushing conversion

Mike_R

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2010
I have searched for the topic and other than a few recommendations I havent been able to find an answer to this question: Does the Hornady LnL conversion for a single stage press negatively impact the consistency of reloaded ammo? I have been using the Hornady LnL bushing conversion on my Rock Chucker Supreme to change between dies quickly and it seems all is well however I don't yet have a concentricity gauge or calipers to check loaded ammo. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Im using the conversion with a Forester Ultra die set in 7mm Remington Mag.

Re: Hornady Lock-N-Load bushing conversion

IF anything, the slight movement of the Hornady bushing should align the die over the case better than one screwed and locked in place.

I would highly recommend getting a set of calipers. They don't have to be expensive and are a necessity if you are going to try to achieve any kind of consistency.

As for the Hornady LnL bushings, I use them and don't see any negative impact on the consistency of my reloaded ammo.

I switched my Rockchucker to it when I got the LnL AP last year. I was hoping to have no die adjustments between the AP and the single stage. That's not the case, but it is a repeatable difference across all the dies.

I made myself a spacer that's the exact difference, I can spin the die out of the bushing, install the spacer, pop it back into the single stage and move on.

I see no detriment to the ammo I've loaded on the press, and when doing something that requires a few of this, a few of that, I really like the bushings.

I'd do it again for what the conversion costs.

+1 to getting a set of calipers.

Reactions: 1791PrecisionArmory

I switched from RCBS to my Hornady. I really like the bushings. Makes life a lot easier. I haven't seen any change in accuracy. The extra expense of buying dedicated bushings was a drag, but now that its done, it was worth it.

The load bearing surfaces of the LNL locking lugs are less conical than the threads on a die, so the bushing floats more easily, without imparting as much of a corresponding tilt.

If your single stage needs the spacer for the dies, why not just make a spacer for the LNL press conversion bushing? Then just leave it under the LNL press bushing on the RC.

Andy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJakeJ1s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The load bearing surfaces of the LNL locking lugs are less conical than the threads on a die, so the bushing floats more easily, without imparting as much of a corresponding tilt.

If your single stage needs the spacer for the dies, why not just make a spacer for the LNL press conversion bushing? Then just leave it under the LNL press bushing on the RC.

Andy </div></div>

The spacer thickness for me was in the neighborhood of 0.100", it needs to go between the locking ring on the die and the bushing or else it will never lock up in the press because the lugs won't go "into battery"

If speed and straight ammo are your goal, sell the Rockchucker and all your shellholders and buy a Forster Co-Ax press and Forster lock rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If speed and straight ammo are your goal, sell the Rockchucker and all your shellholders and buy a Forster Co-Ax press and Forster lock rings. </div></div>

The Rock Chucker and the Hornady LnL system will meet both of those qualifications just fine.

Converting anything never works as good as something that designed from get go to meet the needs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Converting anything never works as good as something that designed from get go to meet the needs
</div></div>

Clearly you've never used the setup in question then because it works just fine. No need to sell anything or buy anything new. In fact, I know some VERY well respected shooters that use the exact setup being discussed here and the thought to sell and buy something else has never crossed their mind.

I appreciate all the input and responses, I will continue to use the L-N-L bushings for now. I eventually wanted to get a Forster anyway but for now I will work with what I have and pick up a good set of calipers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Converting anything never works as good as something that designed from get go to meet the needs
</div></div>

Clearly you've never used the setup in question then because it works just fine. No need to sell anything or buy anything new. In fact, I know some VERY well respected shooters that use the exact setup being discussed here and the thought to sell and buy something else has never crossed their mind. </div></div>

And clearly you have never used a Forster Co-Ax Press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: megarush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate all the input and responses, I will continue to use the L-N-L bushings for now. I eventually wanted to get a Forster anyway but for now I will work with what I have and pick up a good set of calipers. </div></div>

Some of the best shooters I know use the exact setup you've described for a press. Don't sweat it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Converting anything never works as good as something that designed from get go to meet the needs
</div></div>

Clearly you've never used the setup in question then because it works just fine. No need to sell anything or buy anything new. In fact, I know some VERY well respected shooters that use the exact setup being discussed here and the thought to sell and buy something else has never crossed their mind. </div></div>

And clearly you have never used a Forster Co-Ax Press. </div></div>

Wrong again. Top of the line gear does not make you a top of the line shooter. Telling someone to sell what they already have/know to buy something more expensive that they likely won't even see a difference in end product is just foolish. I'm glad that the Forster Co-Ax works for you but that doesn't mean it's the ONLY way. It's a great option but that doesn't mean his current setup won't do the job just fine. This is what you're saying when you're telling him to sell his gear and buy all new gear.

After adjustment LnL bushings seems to hold well in the progressive press as well as a single stage conversion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJakeJ1s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The load bearing surfaces of the LNL locking lugs are less conical than the threads on a die, so the bushing floats more easily, without imparting as much of a corresponding tilt.

Andy </div></div>

The spacer thickness for me was in the neighborhood of 0.100", it needs to go between the locking ring on the die and the bushing or else it will never lock up in the press because the lugs won't go "into battery" </div></div>

What I'm suggesting is putting the spacer between the press and the press conversion bushing, not between the press conversion bushing and the die bushing(s). In other words, shim the female LNL bushing up on the press, instead of shimming each die up on its male LNL bushing.

Andy

Not to revive an old thread, but I am having my local gunsmith turn out a spacer for my Rock Chucker, such that when I screw in the Hornady Bushing into the Rock Chucker, the die set up will remain the same between the Hornady Lock n Load AP and the Rock Chucker. My measurements are as follows: ID 1.2400inch minimum, OD 2.0000 inch maximum, and a thickness of 0.3835inch (yours may vary).
I followed a YouTube video that showed how to measure the distance to the shell plate using the Powder Check. Simply put a fired cartridge into a shell holder and measure threw the powder check hole with the caliper at the top of the stroke. Using the same numbered shell holder (single shell holder) and piece of brass do the same thing in the Rock Chucker. The difference is the thickness of the spacer. It should make it easy to adjust the powder measure on the single stage and move it back to the AP, as well as the other dies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJakeJ1s</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJakeJ1s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The load bearing surfaces of the LNL locking lugs are less conical than the threads on a die, so the bushing floats more easily, without imparting as much of a corresponding tilt.

Andy </div></div>

The spacer thickness for me was in the neighborhood of 0.100", it needs to go between the locking ring on the die and the bushing or else it will never lock up in the press because the lugs won't go "into battery" </div></div>

What I'm suggesting is putting the spacer between the press and the press conversion bushing, not between the press conversion bushing and the die bushing(s). In other words, shim the female LNL bushing up on the press, instead of shimming each die up on its male LNL bushing.

Andy </div></div>

I gotcha, I like it, slick idea.