• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

hornady OAL gauge or sinclairs bullet seat depth tool?

GhengisAhn175

Last known
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2013
Last known
In a dilemma here...

Trying to order the hornady OAL gauge (curved) with two modified cases (260 remington and 308 win). I want to try and do one stop shop but the few places that can... modified cases and the tool itself is on backorder. Get this: A260 is back ordered a year/year and a half.. WTF?

If I have to i can break it up but no one seems to have this shit in stock... especially the modified cases. Should I just say F it and get a sinclair?

The reason I wanted the hornady curved was to use for my 260 AIAX and an HK mr762 AR.

Checked with sinclair, their product is on backorder too and seems a bit more confusing as to which rod guide I would need..

I should just buy a sign that says bang head here.

You can also get a 5/16x36 tap and make your own case and not wait for it on back order. Another option to ponder.

My machining skills are that of a 3 year kid that hasn't had Legos yet.

Last week I was gonna build a reloading table by nailing the legs onto the thick plywood. My carpenter friend said otherwise!

But I found someone that could help me with such after posting this so I'll explore all options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got the hornady one with a couple of the Modified cases and the first thing I learned from it was that I was better off in my opinion with a wooden dowel..

it seems to me you can actually be more accurate using a wooden dowel with the rubber band method of holding your bolt forward on a case seated far too long and then measure to the bolt face and seat the round according to that to retrieve your ogive.. the hornady set up does not take into account the difference in headspace on the MODIFIED case vs the actual headspace in your rifle.. so unless you are getting the comparator set for headspace as well I would say you are better off with a wooden dowel..

I bought the TRG insert for the Sinclair tool, with a couple of wraps of electrical tape to increase the diameter it fits my AWs just fine.
Modifying your own case sounds like your best option though for the Hornady tool.

I see Sinclair now list a .785 diameter Delrin insert which should work for their tool in an AW, I would presume the AX would be very similar or the same bolt diameter.

Last edited:
There is an easy solution but it requires a little fiddling.

Make a case with a fairly tight neck, no powder or primer. Cover the outside of a bullet with black magic marker and seat it so that it sticks out too far -- you are making a dummy round. Chamber the dummy round. Open the bolt and extract the dummy round. The bullet may be stuck in the rifling, it doesn't matter. If it does, remove the case then pop the bullet out with a cleaning rod. When the bullet is seated in the case at the highest "scratches" made by the neck in the magic marker that is the jam length.

That is actually a little longer than the real max because the bullet will deform a little when you jam it in like this. You can "magic marker" another bullet and seat it .003 to .005 shorter and chamber it. Will probably see rifling marks in the magic marker. Measure the COL. If you make anything longer than this, you will have to force the bolt closed to chamber it.

There are a couple of problems here. First, if you measure 10 bullets from base to meplat, you will see a lot of variation. The solution is to measure COL using one of the "sinclair insert style bullet comparator"-type devices. The base to ogive measurements tend to be more consistent -- and -- that is the part of the bullet that contacts the rifling. So you are measuring what you want to measure, you really don't care how long the round is to the meplat but you do care how long it is to the ogive.

The second issue is easy to solve. If installed, the ejector will tend to push the dummy round off to one side. I cut coils off the ejector spring to reduce the tension. For this particular exercise, you could drive out the roll pin and just remove it. You still get some off-center forces from the extractor but it is a lot less.

If you make the neck too tight, you may be unable to close the bolt. You can fix that. Make sure that the upper edge of the neck is making scratches in the magic marker. If you bell the mouth of the neck, the MM scratches will lie to you. You can use machinist blue instead of MM, it is thicker. It is probably better to remove the firing pin assembly, that is just another spring applying forces to the whole assembly. I usually don't but to each his own.

I would repeat the procedure 3 to 5 times. You don't always get it right the first time. If the neck is really tight, the bullet get slightly distorted - use different bullets for each test. I find that this method give comparable results to my Stony Point tool.

If you have the tool, it is very easy to make your own cases for it. Bore out the primer with the correct drill bit. I have a Wilson case trimmer and case holders for all of my major cases. Use the Wilson case holder, a machinists vice, and a drill press - in a pinch you can hand drill the hole. Tap the hole - brass is very easy to tap. Make sure that the neck is the same or just a smidge bigger than bullet diameter. Done.