• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady Power Case Prep Center opinion?

hoguer

The Dude
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Central Valley, CA
I am really interested in ordering one, and i wanted to see if any experienced reloaders on here had had any good experiences/bad experiences with them? thanks

Re: Hornady Power Case Prep Center opinion?

I have been tempted to order one but at about $400 I have waited. I have the RCBS prep center which is similar but missing some options. Having all case prep stuff on one tool would be convenient I can just spend $400 on a lot of other stuff. Still though, I am drawn to it. I, as well, am interested to hear from any other members that have used it. Currently I use a RCBS Trim Pro with the cordless drill adapter for trimming and then the RCBS Prep Center for other tasks.

IMHO a Giraud Trimmer and a 18v Dewalt drill would be a better investment

Well a RCBS power set up is about 200 and the prep center is about 100. I will admit having everything in one place is convienent but not for 100 more. If I remember correctly I read a review that said the Horn unit is pretty big. I want to say like 2 feet tall. If the price was closer to the RCBS units I would have considered it, but I already have a RCBS manual trimmer.

their power trimmer? that is even more expensive and is case specific??

I've had the Prep Center since around February of this year. There were several reasons why I got it:
1) Giraud was backordered then
2) Needed to trim straight walled cases (the discussion is ongoing whether to trim .50 Beowulf cases or not, I chose to trim)
3) Didn't care for RCBS military crimp removal die
4) Needed to speed up neck cleaning etc.
5) The Hornady unit was cheaper then other power trimmers with RCBS prep center added.
6) Didn't care for the Dillon Rapid Trim

When I ordered the unit I also order small and large pocket reamers for military crimp removal and RCBS 3 way cutters for .223, .308, 6.5 and .338 LM. The RCBS cutters' studs are the same threads but are a little shorter, so must be shimmed as not to bottom out.

The reamers work well with military crimps and about the same speed as the Dillon decrimping tool.

The Giraud may be faster with bottle neck cases than the Hornady, but the Hornady is a little more versatile as it will do straight walled cases and with the 3 way cutter trims and chamfers at the same time.

The negatives:
1) There is a 1 1/4 amp fuse inside the unit that prevents the motor from burning out when overloaded (that is actually a positive). In order to R & R the fuse the casing has to be disassembled. (that is the negative). of these days I will move it someplace more accesible eventhough I only needed to change it twice because it is a bit of a pain.

2) I wish the unit would have slightly more fine adjustment.

I just saw Sinclair sells them. They are out of stock but sell for just over $300. That's at least $50 bucks cheaper than getting the RCBS power trimmer and case prep center.