• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Hornady Responded to my Superformance Performance

CMonty256

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2010
Fort Campbell, KY
Purchased a variety of factory match ammo to see how my crusader likes them and included was some Hornady Superformance Match 178gr. I had just finished up load development and ended up using 45.6 Gr of Varget with 175 SMKs, with no pressure signs at all, including test shots over 46.0 Gr. I had heard people get signs with the Superformance ammo, but decided to test it out anyways...

Conditions:
-Temp: 70 increasing to 85 by the time i finished up
-PA: 400 Ft
- Usual Southern Alabama Weather [img:left][/img]
Rifle:
-GA Precision Crusader 308

Results:
I Fire the first round and the first thing I notice is the recoil... It wasn't excessive, but it sure was a noticeable increase. While working the bolt I bring it all the way back and then... no brass comes out. FTE... that doesn't happen in a bolt action gun! I then pull the bolt all the way out, tap the round on the table, and a primer falls into my lap. Temp was about 70.

DSC_0016.jpg

I then finish up the group of 5 and resume shooting my hand loads, then I want to see how the 178s will do at 300 (range max). Load up another 5 and let 'em rip. Temp was up to about 80. The group was uncharacteristic of my Crusader, and about 3'' (1 Moa) which had been grouping 168SMKs @ 1.5

DSC_0022.jpg

Deciding to give them 1 more shot, at the end of my range session i had a target up at 100. The temperature was up to 85 and the sun had risen enough that i was now in direct sunlight. I sighted in on a 2" Shoot n See and pulled the trigger. With a good grasp on my rifle, the recoil knocked the wind out of me enough to make me cough. Each of the 5 that i took did the same thing, each with a corresponding primer falling out onto the ground. BTW The group was ~1.25 @ 100, which is abysmal for "match" Ammo.

DSC_0028.jpg

Who knows, maybe just my lot were ultra-mega-superformance, but they ended up blowing primers out of ~50% of total rounds fired and 100% of rounds fired @ 85 degrees. I think ill just leave the other 80 i have in the closet until winter rolls around and give them another shot.

Monty

Re: Sell your Decapping rod and Buy Superformance ammo

Please drop Hornady a line about this. That is unacceptable performance.

i dont think i would try them any more. your gonna get hurt. i would def. tell hornady.

You are ignoring the more important aspects of this ammo - the pictures on the box are very pretty, and their superlative choices are, well, superlative.

Who cares how it shoots.

Sounds like someone may have mixed up the pistol or shotgun powders with the rifle powders at Hornady .

I would have dumped the whole box after the first blown out primer. Lots of flame cuttin' right there.

CMonty,

Seen more than one GAP have pressure problems with factory ammo.
Try some other ammo, if same problem see GAP or use tailored hand loads.

PS. Quit after the first blown primer.

HTH,
DocB

Sure thing Doc,

This has been the ammo that my GAP hasn't liked so far ( Tried 168/175/7.62 FGMM, 168 AMax Match, and Hand Loads) I tested with both a ladder and the OCW method and have settled on 45.2 Gr Varget w/ 175 SMKs with absolutely no pressure signs at all. But ill definitely not continue on with ammo that blows primers. =)

Try blackhills 175gr or Remington match 175gr. My GAP built Remington loves them.

I think Hornady crammed too much of their new technology inside the case. You are not the first person this has happened to. Varget is my favorite powder for the 308. I usually find best accuracy around or at max load. I have had best results with cci br2 primers and 175 smk.

45.0-45.3 Gr of Varget with Once shot FGMM Brass and WLR primers gave me .2" groups during OCW testing, so Im loading for 45.2

Had problems with Super-duperformance back in January this year. The problem was the lack of a flash hole in 1 round. Cool temps 60-70's, shot slightly better compared to other OTC match grade ammunition, increased recoil noted, PA 4300', Savage 10FP 22", no pressure signs. First contact they said send it back and I sent the whole case of ammunition back. A week or so later they said the case was good to go and how could they make it right? Got to love Hornady CS. They immediately sent the case of ammunition back and ~6months later I received a case of .308 brass for my trouble C-:!.

They mentioned that staking the primers on new offerings might be or is in the works. After my problem, albeit production related, and hearing a few negative references to temperature sensitivity and flame cutting (hmmm funny they came out with a Hogdon powder, ya know the one's that make Varget and we all know that Varget is not so temperature sensitive...marketing gotta deal with it). I decided to get my reloading act together and step away from the Super-duperformance. I keep telling myself Thank you, thank you very much I'll be here all week.

I am almost through the lot that I have. Using them up for cool morning/night velocity checker (very consistent if cool), on paper checker and fouler for comps and load development. I compete with ~50 shooters at 600-1000 yards, PA 4300' temperature range 35-105, typically delta T=35deg F start to finish, and no one else is using or has used Super-duperformance since it came out though most are reloaders. And not necessarily because of my difficulty. The skuttle-butt is not good nor bad just why look for more issues to deal with?

Brings new meaning to "Accurate, reliable, Deadly" printed on the box. The question is, deadly to whom?

The potential pressure issues with Superformance ammunition are not new. Although less common in bolt guns as compared to gassers, they have still been well-documented here. I have fired many rounds of the Superformance 178s through my Crusader (at temps well into the 90s) with no pressure signs whatsoever, so you may have a bad lot. I would call Hornady about it and hopefully you still have the box with the lot numbers to cross reference with them.

This is not the first problem with Superformance. IIRC, they had a recall on 30-06 earlier in the year.
I will just stick with my hand loads.
Glad nothing is broken.

Lot # 3101750

I purchased it through Palmetto State Armory about 3-4 Months ago while i was in Egypt and just got around to shooting it now.

That doesn't sound good. I just bought 10 boxes of the 53 grain superformance rounds. I hope the problem you're facing does not apply to .223. After i test mine later in the week i'll let you know if i also face those issues.

Hornady Responded, inserted below. I couldn't ask for a better CS response, so it looks like i will be sending out my remaining 4 1/4 boxes to Hornady.

Dear Sir,

We are very sorry to hear about this issue. We would like to have the opportunity to test your remaining ammunition and determine the root cause. We will gladly call you with the test results and replace the ammunition for you. Please call our Customer Service dept. at 800-338-3220 and we will issue a Return Authorization number for you, or if you would like to ship the ammunition back to us, please send it via: UPS Ground, along with a brief note explaining the issue. Also please enclose your Name, address, and phone number, so we can better serve you.
Please send the ammunition to:
Hornady Mfg.
3625 W Old potash Hwy
Grand Island, Ne. 68803

Again we are very sorry for this inconvenience to you. We appreciate your patience in this matter,
Sincerely,

Hornady Mfg.

Man I just checked mine... same lot. Kinda glad I havent fired em yet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The response you got from Hornady doesn't surprise me. They are a great company.
</div></div>

I thought that of Black Hills when I got a very similar response by email and phone. I was told a shipping label was on the way and never received it...Talk is cheap..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The response you got from Hornady doesn't surprise me. They are a great company.
</div></div>

I thought that of Black Hills when I got a very similar response by email and phone. I was told a shipping label was on the way and never received it...Talk is cheap.. </div></div>

Oh, sorry. I made my comment based on knowing Jason Hornady personally and having dealt with people there on non "bad stuff" issues before. I don't think BH was ever brought up until you did it. Grind your axe with them in another thread. Keep this one on track.

Re: Hornady Responded to my Superformance Performance

looks like they have changed the box?

I had the same issue when i got mine for powdervalley last year or the year before. over half the primers popped out. I contacted them(hornady) and they replaced the ammo at no charge. This ammo is more accurate, and only have one primer if that pop out out of my H2 Harbinger build.

Re: Hornady Responded to my Superformance Performance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cruze5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks like they have changed the box?

I had the same issue when i got mine for powdervalley last year or the year before. over half the primers popped out. I contacted them(hornady) and they replaced the ammo at no charge. This ammo is more accurate, and only have one primer if that pop out out of my H2 Harbinger build. </div></div>

Did you/anyone chrono the before and after ammo?