• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady rust prone?

NY700

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Dallas
Just wondering if others share the same experience.

I had been running a RCBS rockchucker for years. Primarily Redding dies, occasionally RCBS or Forster.

a few years ago after moving to Texas I picked up a LnL progressive

for pistol I tend to run Lee and Lyman dies
I also picked up my first set of Hobart does in 223

humidy in my garage where everything is set up typically remains under 50%

What I have found is the LnL progressive and the hornady dies are extremely rust prone.

wondering if this is a shared experience between makers and what steps people take that are realistic to combat it.

I do not have covers on my presses. Originally I thought they would if anything trap moisture in there.

Just take some 0000 steel wool to rub the rust off and keep them oiled. They all get surface rust tarnish if left dry with the sweaty hand oil all over it. Lee is the worst closely followed by hornady, redding take a oof bit longer and then forster last.

Last edited:
I do have a set of Hornady .223 does that have both developed rusting issues on the exterior of the die body. Nothing else in my basement rusts.

None of mine show any discoloration at all. I use hornady one shot spray lube which gets all over everything and acts like a preservative.

I'm not sure they're any more rust prone than RCBS does. Some of those have some surface rust on them.

I have several sets of Hornady dies which range in age from 2 - 10 years. The humidity in my workshop averages 50%. I've never noticed rust on any of them.

I know lee gets a bad rap and I've noticed my dies can get some rust on them. From time to time I'll throw the dies in my vibratory tumbler to clean em up. I also have started using nitrile gloves whenever I do anything associated with reloading. The oils and sweat on your hands can tarnish brass as well. I try to keep everything af clean as possible

Reactions: j-huskey