• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hornady seating die

Longshot38

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
Montgomery, TX
Alright so I was loading up a few 308 rounds last night and ran into something I have never seen before. The seating stem in my Hornady seating die kept popping out of the sleeve during the down stroke. It did this to the point where the original seating stem marred so badly that it would not go back in the sleeve (luckily I a spare but the problem persisted). Anyone ever seen this one before?

Re: Hornady seating die

I use a Hornady seating die but i put the micrometer seating insert into it for a little more accuracy. It seems to me the die is pretty well made and for that to be an odd problem. If the problem has been persisting then i would call Hornady and check with them, it could be defective.

Yes, I have had this happen. There is a small, round retaining wire that acts like a cotter pin to hold the seating stem up in the die. This wire is on the outside at the bottom of the die, just below the threading. The angled piece of the wire that acts like a cotter pin is damaged, or cut too short, and allows the seating stem to slide through. In the die box, there should be an extra wire cotter pin that you can replace. Put the new one in, and that should solve your problem. If it doesn't, then take some needle nose pliers, and bend the round wire to make the cotter pin longer. This will solve your problem.

Chad I think you misunderstand the problem. The retaining wire is not damaged and the sleeve functioning fine. However the seating stem that sits on top of the sleeve that is displacing while the sleeve is descending on the down stroke. When this happens it jams the sleeve on the next cycle and collapses the shoulder of the case if the malfunction is not caught.

If you are using the standard seating depth adjustment screw, make sure the vent hole down through the middle of it is clear. If is is clogged, it will form a bit of a vacuum inside the die, which holds the seating plug up while the sleeve drops with the cartridge.

Andy

If I'm reading you right, you have a problem with the 'ZIP' spindle. I hate those things, you have to really crank down on the lock nut to keep em in place. Maybe that's what you have going on....