• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady steel match?

Sauce787

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2011
Southern Illinois
Anyone used it in a match chamber? Considering a Larue OBR for 3-gun and tactical rifle matches but with a rifle that expensive I'm hesitant to use the Hornady steel match.

Re: Hornady steel match?

It will work fine and will not harm anything. Shot the 155grn in my GAP 10 and shoot tons of the 75grn in my POF.

75gr Steel Match has proven to be sub-MOA in my 18" 1:8 5.56 AR and a couple different 223 bolt guns.

52gr Steel Match, on the other hand, caused all kinds of fail to eject/feed issues in my AR. Won't be shooting that stuff anymore...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFARM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is it ok to shoot hornadys steel cased ammo, but wolfs steel cased ammo is bad for your rifle? </div></div>

High quality US match grade product or entry level price and quality from Russia?

Should be self explanatory.

BMT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFARM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is it ok to shoot hornadys steel cased ammo, but wolfs steel cased ammo is bad for your rifle? </div></div>

Plus Wolf has that coating that gets into your rifle. What caliber are you looking at? My only problem with Hornady 308 is they only offer it in a 155 grain bullet and it is not a Palma style load.

Wolf is not bad to shoot in your rifle either . If your rifle doesn't shoot the russian steel case ammo it is the fault of the quality of rifle not the ammo.this has been rehashed a million times.. They have not been laquer coated for years now

just worried that the steel will damage the chamber, guess i need to do some testing with a borescope before I rule anything out. I'm looking into 308, even though it's only offered in 155 gr I think it should be fine for 3-gun, I'll probably continue with 165 match or hand loads for tactical rifle matches.

The Hornady is not laquered.

The steel used is soft steel and won't hurt anything. Neither Wolf or Hornady. Steel is used in both to keep the cost down.

Local smith near me keeps a posting from Bushmaster on the wall stating only to use Quality American ammo (and suggests using Hornady) and that steel ammo (such as wolf) would damage your rile. Next to the flier, he has an open box of Hornady Steel Match and Wolf with a bullet of each taped to the outside. Pretty funny.

You can practice a lot more with steel.
As mentioned above your not damaging anything because the metal is not harder than your barrel-

Hornady steel match (308) runs about $40 for a box of 40 anywhere around here where I can find it. I can find Federal GGM (brass cased) for around $20 for a box of 20 locally and on line. As a reloader, I haven't found a reason to buy steel cased match ammo that was based on price. Federal has a rep for soft brass, but at least I can reload federal brass a couple of times...

The 223 75gr Steel Match I shot last week seemed like it had a lacquer on it (cases were shiny), while the 52gr Steel Match did not have any coating on it at all.

They are polymer coated. Not lacquer coated.

It's also sold in boxes of 50. Not 40. It's not meant to replace reload able brass for reloaders but to provide nonloaders or match shooters who can't pick up brass a cheaper option.

How does the steel match compare to hornady match in terms of consistency? If it is the same attention to detail in a steel case then I can most definitely see a place for it. Maybe I should stop being a brass snob and pick up a box... It would sure beat the heck out of chasing brass at the range.

How does it compare to FGMM accuracy wise?

Most of the 3-gunners I know use the 75grn for matches with no issues. They make shots to 500+ with no problem and its very consistent. I would use it without hesitation and have several times.

I have only shot the 75grn for groups and it was 3/4 MOA at 100 with a 4x optic. Never had a problem with any of it(9mm, .223 75 and 55grn or .308) feeding or functioning.

I've used the 75gr Hornady Steel match in both my Rem 5R .223 and my Colt AR. No problems at all and pretty accurate. I was getting MOA at 100yds easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BallistaOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny thing is, while the Wolf is no longer lacquered, if I'm not mistaken, the Hornady is...</div></div>

Hornady is not lacquered. I have not bought wolf since I found this site, so my info may be dated...Sorry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFARM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is it ok to shoot hornadys steel cased ammo, but wolfs steel cased ammo is bad for your rifle? </div></div>

High quality US match grade product or entry level price and quality from Russia?

Should be self explanatory.

BMT </div></div>

And just where exactly do you think Hornady import the primed cases from???

Not too hard to figure out!

Hornady USES Wolf steel cases. The major differences are that Hornady uses their own powder and bullets.

Shooting steel case is fine in an AR. The issue seems to be when you shoot lots of steel case and then shoot brass cased ammo. After shooting steel case, clean the shit out of the chamber, THEN you should be fine with brass cased ammo.

I have had a green case that threw bullets all over(223 75 grain)and a silver case that was MOA accurate. Both came out of the Hornaday steel match box of 50 rounds. What was the difference in those cases?

As to steel cases & coatings, call me a simpleton if you like, but you cannot leave steel bare for any length of time. To do so is to invite our less than favorite friend, rust & corrosion.
Which, if rapidly & repeatedly sliding in & out of your rig, would be like purposefully sandpapering the chamber & delicate innards of your rifle. Make sense?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UNCIVILIZED</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Which, if rapidly & repeatedly sliding in & out of your rig, would be like purposefully sandpapering the chamber & delicate innards of your rifle. Make sense?

</div></div>

No it doesn't. You are assuming the coatings are rough. Don't you think all the carbon fouling in the chamber from firing would do the same thing with brass cases?

Richard some of the earlier lots of steel match used the lacquer coating but they have since gotten away from it and now use the polymer coating. I had some of the earlier rounds and they functioned fine but weren't as accurate as the present ammo. I wouldn't say they threw rounds all over but it was minute and a half ammo.

I shoot it all the time in my AR's, and never have a problem. I also like not worring about finding brass.

I also hunt with them, the 75gr BTHP kills.

Seem to be pretty accurate, around MOA out of my AR's. but I do not shoot a lot of groups with these guns.

I have run steel case in my .223 and .308 with "0" ZERO issue.

I will guarentee you that I shoot more steel case Hornady then everyone in this thread combined and I have no damage issue;s or malfunctions.

This ammo is used by a very large percent of the top 3 Gun competitors in the country as well.

So i can promise you the accuracy, and reliability is trustworthy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UNCIVILIZED</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

No it doesn't. You are assuming the coatings are rough. Don't you think all the carbon fouling in the chamber from firing would do the same thing with brass cases?

Richard some of the earlier lots of steel match used the lacquer coating but they have since gotten away from it and now use the polymer coating. I had some of the earlier rounds and they functioned fine but weren't as accurate as the present ammo. I wouldn't say they threw rounds all over but it was minute and a half ammo. </div></div>

What I was alluding to was that it sounded like the cases were completely bare: no lacquer, no polymer etcetera. And that leaving steel in that state, unless you oil it, is an invitation to corrosion. Said corrosion on a steel cartridge case would definitely be bad JuJu for one's rifle.
At the time of my former posting I was unaware that there was a clear polymer coating on the steel cases. It sounded as if they were bare neked.
Steel on steel = bad deal. Unless you have something to aid with lubrication & such.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">The Hornady is not laquered.</span>

I have some that is. </div></div>

Yup...I just picked up another batch, .223 75gain, and it's got the "wolf" green lacquered steel cases. No issues with it and I echo the above statements. Great ammo. At $21 per 50, with the heavy bullet, I think it's a great alternative to reloading and it's proving to be accurate in my weapons.

I have used a goodly bit of TulAmmo 55FMJ with no issues. I like the idea of doing my cleanup with a magnet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFARM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is it ok to shoot hornadys steel cased ammo, but wolfs steel cased ammo is bad for your rifle? </div></div>

Plus Wolf has that coating that gets into your rifle. What caliber are you looking at? My only problem with Hornady 308 is they only offer it in a 155 grain bullet and it is not a Palma style load. </div></div>

That is such a crock of shit.

Another internet rumor that idiots parrot as fact.

The lacquer has NEVER been a problem, besides, wolf went to a polymer coating YEARS ago.

*************Wolf has not used lacquer casing in quite a few years and Hornady has NEVER had lacquer coatings. They are ALL polymer coated. The color you see, red or green by the primer is not lacquer but a sealant. That has no effect on your chamber, or rifle...period!
I really wish people would STOP mimicing what they hear or think they know. ***********

My only complaint: as a reloader I pick up my brass. This stuff is useless to me after fired. I don't really save any money by purchasing it.

Anyone know a retailer that has any .223 in stock? Only thing I could find was one auction for several 300 round boxes of 52 grain on Gun Broker. That was yesterday, today they already sold out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">*************Wolf has not used lacquer casing in quite a few years and <span style="font-weight: bold">Hornady has NEVER had lacquer coatings</span>. They are ALL polymer coated. The color you see, red or green by the primer is not lacquer but a sealant. That has no effect on your chamber, or rifle...period!
I really wish people would STOP mimicing what they hear or <span style="font-weight: bold">think they know.</span> ***********</div></div>

You might want to take your own advice. Below is a pic of an early 2010 lot of lacquer coated Steel Match on the left and the more present polymer coated 2012 lot on the right. Both functioned fine and were reliable.

If someone is getting any lacquer coated now they might want to check the lot number. Probably starts with 310****. If not maybe the supply of polymer wasn't available and they went with the lacquer again for some lots. Hornady wouldn't use anything that wouldn't function or cause problems in people's rifles.

photo7_zps4bde5503.jpg

I use the 75 grain BTHP in a Larue 20" stealth upper. I've only been able to shoot it from 200 yards but it's super tight. No FTF or FTE.

How would the 155grain do out to 800? This would be in an 16" upper 308. I have a class that I am taking end of September and would love to not have to worry about picking up brass.

I've got 2" 5 round groups out of the 308 at 600 yards. Haven't went any farther out with it though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

My understanding is that their Berdan Primed steel cases are produced by an East European partner.

I have shot plenty (500+) of TulAmmo 55gr which are Boxer primed, with zero function failures or evidence of abnormal wear to my Stag action.

Further, the Boxer priming tempted me to try reloading some.

Using my 75gr match load recipe (23.5gr Varget, HDY 75gr HPBTM, CCI BR-4) the load performs identical to my brass case (PPU brass) version of the same load, and has stood up to 5 reloads so far. The polymer case coating has slightly dulled, the mouth interiors respond well to inside neck chamfering (eliminates bullet shaving) and the primer pockets seem to be resisting expansion as well or better than brass cases.

I have been advised to avoid hot loads with such cases, and have followed this advice. The above load, like the original TulAmmo 55gr load, is on the milder side; which suits me fine because my shooting distances are limited to 250yd and will likely never exceed 300yd altogether.

BTW, my Stag 6 Super Varminter shoots even the cheap TulAmmo 55gr quite nicely.

Some of the local Wal-Marts are selling sealed spamcans containing 500rd of 55gr Berdan primed steelcase ball (in 25 20rd standard TulAmmo packaging) for $119.95 plus tax, which makes these reloadable cartridges comparable in cost to regular brass cases alone.

Greg

PS, one of my 'next' reloading projects is to pull down the 55gr TulAmmo ball ammo in large quantity, then do individual load development with the components for several of my .223 rifles. Agreed, the components are not top notch, but with proper load development, accuracy equaling or even exceeding good factory ammunition's might be achieved. Experience with spamcan 7.62x54R strongly suggests the possibility.

I have acquired a new Hornady automatic powder dispenser to ease the task of rebuilding ammo in bulk to new specs. It's not infallible, but it's pretty darned close (it looks like when it finishes dispensing a charge, it compares it to the set point, and accepts it if it is within .1gr of it), dispenses the powder at least as accurately as good factory ammo, and faster than I need it, even when I'm loading in progressive mode. Accurate to within .1gr is way good enough for me, considering that the rest of the components are economy-plus items,.

Last edited:
I haven't had any problems with the 75gr Hornaday Steel Match in rifles; but had a lot of difficulty last year with the Hornaday Steel Match 125 gr 9mm. Was getting lots of cycling problems, and had to do malfunction drills in two stages of a match. We tested that batch of 9mm in 5 different pistols (3 of them match guns), and each one of them experienced similar problems.

funny thing is I used to have steel case 45ACP and 30 carbine dated to world war II made in the US. these days all the 20-30MM cases are made with steel, those are very expensive barrels to wear out and replace. Basically, if soft steel cases were harmfull to barrels, nobody would make them for fear of being sued. nobody is being sued so get over it.
buy a couple boxes and test them to see if your gun likes the load or not then make your own decision.
cheers