• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady SUBX 7.62x39 Barrel Twist Rate

Let the 7.62 Russian sub fun begin!

1704740589992.png

Yes indeed, they be it. Now don't hurt yourself! As I mentioned in an earlier post, you may need to bell the neck ever so slightly. just touch it. I use my 9mm Luger bell die.

Reactions: Dogtown
You weren't kidding - just need to barely touch the 9mm bell die (after over/undering a bunch).

I'm sure there's a better way to skin the cat, but it does work to keep the brass from shaving off the coating/lead.

Reactions: Dogtown
New member but have been following this thread for a while.

I’ve had an x39 AR for about 13 years. It’s always been a track driver and even though barrel is .310 I’ve come up with some very accurate reloads using .308 bullets. Barrel has thousands of rounds through it but hasn’t lost any accuracy at all.

I finally pulled the trigger on a can (still in jail) but really want to work up a great subsonic load. My barrel is 1:10 twist so I’m nervous that I’d be risking blowing up the can if my barrel can’t stabilize the big slow bullets.

I would love to hear opinions from those with experience to help me.

I appreciate all the information that’s been shared here and will surely use it!

My general rule of thumb with subsonic load dev: do a backwards charge weight pressure test to see if bullets are stabilizing around the 1000fps WITHOUT the can.

New member but have been following this thread for a while.

I’ve had an x39 AR for about 13 years. It’s always been a track driver and even though barrel is .310 I’ve come up with some very accurate reloads using .308 bullets. Barrel has thousands of rounds through it but hasn’t lost any accuracy at all.

I finally pulled the trigger on a can (still in jail) but really want to work up a great subsonic load. My barrel is 1:10 twist so I’m nervous that I’d be risking blowing up the can if my barrel can’t stabilize the big slow bullets.

I would love to hear opinions from those with experience to help me.

I appreciate all the information that’s been shared here and will surely use it!
AR39 and “tack driver” don’t really strike me as realistic. Care to elaborate more on the build? Thanks.

Thanks I will definitely be testing without can first, I don’t even have it yet. Just not exactly sure how to tell they are stabilizing 100% other than inspecting paper holes.

AR39 and “tack driver” don’t really strike me as realistic. Care to elaborate more on the build? Thanks.
It is a rifle that was built by AR Performance when they were still in Colorado. It was my first AR and I’ve made a few modifications over the years but it has always surprised me how accurate it is.

Reactions: db2000
I was in the exact same boat. I was very nervous and cautious as I went down this road. To your point, using cardboard is not an exact science. Maybe the other guys can chime in and make better suggestions.

Interesting thread. Has anyone experimented with Hunters Supply slick coat? I have made a few these for 238 gr in both 311 and 308 dia, as well as 303 british in 174 gr. The HS 308 did not group well at all in my CZ 527. I am planning to make enough of the HS 311 to get good statistics and go from there. Have not tried Acme yet.

Reactions: db2000