• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

hornady superformance

XHODZAX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2009
minnesota
Superformance ammunition is 100 to 200 fps FASTER than any conventional ammunition on the market today, and achieves this performance in EVERY gun, WITHOUT increases in felt recoil, muzzle blast, temperature sensitivity, fouling or loss of accuracy.

any idea what powder they use ????

Re: hornady superformance

American Rifleman said that they had the powder developed especially for them. Unobtanium for reloaders at the present time.

OK I WON'T
smile.gif

THANKS GUYS

That first paragraph indicates either breaking the laws of physics, or a pretty loose definition of "felt recoil". Loss of accuracy might be technically correct, but I'd confidently predict that bore erosion is accelerated as compared to "conventional" ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xhodzax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Superformance ammunition is 100 to 200 fps FASTER than any conventional ammunition on the market today, and achieves this performance in EVERY gun, WITHOUT increases in felt recoil, muzzle blast, temperature sensitivity, fouling or loss of accuracy.

any idea what powder they use ???? </div></div>
All is correct except the felt recoil. An object going faster will come back with more energy no matter what.
As I understand this ammo, they had powders developed specifically for each caliber and bullet weight in that caliber to maximize the pressure curve. Tis increased the velocity.

I think the key word there is "felt" recoil. If they are using a slower burning powder the recoil impulse may not be as "sharp" due to the pressure curve. Just a thought...

According to the article I read, the powder charge is less/smaller, so the ejecta is less, therefore less recoil. Any recoil calculator has to have the weight of the powder charge figured in to give a ft. lbs of recoil energy. Also, they state that ALL the powder is being burned in the barrel, so less unburned powder is blown out behind the bullet, still burning. Also less powder burning outside the barrel, less report-noise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xhodzax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any idea what powder they use ???? </div></div>

GUN POWDER!

Sorry I couldn't resist............ Only Hornady would know for sure, I am sure its a "mix" of their own special brew.

would it be possable to make a progresive burn rate powder?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pete_re_pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to the article I read, the powder charge is less/smaller, so the ejecta is less, therefore less recoil.</div></div>

Ah, that sure could do it! Once I understood that, the fact that my light-bullet reloads using .357 125-grain bullets recoiled as much as 158-grain loads finally made sense. 21.5 grains of powder (later published manuals and this month's run on QuickLoad agree the earlier published max was *not* *good*) compared to 10 or so made up a large part of the difference.

Sounds like they use similar technology to that used in Reloder 17, which makes the same sort of claims.

The stuffs awesome, I just ordered a case after burning through 2 boxes of 165 sst's. chrony'd out of a 20in barrel in my .308 was 2827 on the high side and 2816 on the lo. 44degrees outside. sub moa accuracy. only claim they make that i noticed wasnt true was the recoil, a very slight increase, as in just a short and curly hair increase in sharpness. other than that the stuff is as advertised.
Now if they will just release the powder.

Superformance = JUNK!

I've shot two different calibers of Superformance ammo, and a friend shot a third... All three were a ridiculous failure. 100y groups looked like a shotgun pattern.

Hornady needs to go back to the drawing board with this stuff...

Tried the new superform powder on my 300 WSM the other day. Was supposed to have 3400 FPS with a 155 A max at max load. I worked up to two grains over max load while carefully watching for pressure signs and only got to 3150 fps. The accuracy was bad to boot.