• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Hornady superformance

sapper12b

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2009
Wyoming
Bought a box of Hornady super performance in 308 and wow these suck. I shot them out of my DMPS LR-308 and the best I could get was a 3” group. After seeing how bad they were grouping I started to look at the brass and WOW. Two of them are missing primers, over half have deep dents from the ejector with a carbon ring all around the primer and the rest looked great.
2ztjebp.jpg

Re: Hornady superformance

I have shot these out of a GAP Built DPMS as well with the same blown primers as a result.

The potential pressure issues running Supeformance ammo from gas guns in particular have been been known for some time. Hornady used to have a pdf on their website explaining why this ammo might be an issue out of some gas guns, although I don't know if it's still there. If you do a search here, you can probably find the earlier threads about this issue.

yep, it was my Crusader. I sent them back to hornady and I'm waiting on a reply. Hoping that they will replace them with something worth a damn.

Curious Hornady puts a "not intended for use in semi automatic firearms" line on their palma 155 loads but not the superformance.

The Superformance 168Amax match load shot cloverleaf groups at 100 out of my SPS-V, with no pressure signs at all.

They are like any ammo. They shoot better in some rifles than others. They don't shoot well in my .308 but in my team mate Tony's rifle they are sub 1/2 MOA. Try them out and if they don't work then find something else.

If you relaod the new bullet that is loaded in the 178 Superformance, the 178 BTHP, is an excellent bullet when pushed by some Varget. With a BC of .530 I am getting 2730fps out of my .308 with them.

As told directly to me by Hornady, if you have less than a 24" barrel on a semi-auto the Superformance ammunition will give you problems. It's only with a barrel of 24" that consistently allows for proper function of the bolt.

In a nutshell, the Superformance rounds <span style="text-decoration: underline">are not</span> recommended for use in semi-auto platforms.

I went through a long ordeal with the 178 .308 Hornady Superformance. Originally bought 400 rounds a while back and they shot poorly through my Rem 700 5R, in the neighborhood of 1-3 MOA with zero consistency. I send the ammo back to Hornady and they did a test on it and found that the powder was mixed incorrectly. They offered to replace the ammo with another type but I decided to stick with the 178 Superformance. Mistake

Fast forward six months later. After trying the new batch of a newer lot I still had major issues. Bolt wouldn't close on a few of them and I have had no issues with headspace in this rifle. Twenty rounds shot gave me really shoddy groups at 100 (2-3 MOA). I even shot it through my buddies Savage 10 Tactical, it performed poorly through that rifle as well.

So now I had to UPS the ammo back to Hornady. Again. And it will probably take a few more months for them to test it and send me the 168 AMax Match that I asked for in return.

Ultimately, I would be wary of this ammo. From what I read some guns love it but others don't.

Yeah, had same issue this time last year on my GAP bolt with the 178's. Hornady was great about it, even had some lab rat call me back. Turns out all pressures were good, but my batch didn't have sealed primers. So, sent me a batch plus 2 free boxes with them. 10 rounds into it, groups were all over the place. Look at brass, and same thing. 4 out of 10 blown primers. Gave the stuff away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: big91rustybucket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sure hope I have better luck . I just bought a box for the .300 Win mag . Hope to try it out this weekend. </div></div>

My 300s hated it, better luck for you.

My two Ruger .280's perform really well with the 139SST Superformance loads. I wonder if SAAMI chamber neck specs make a difference with this ammo?

Shot some 178 super performance through a .308 built bu Beanland yesterday. That gun absolutely loved this ammo. 5 shots easily under a 1/2".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As told directly to me by Hornady, if you have less than a 24" barrel on a semi-auto the Superformance ammunition will give you problems. It's only with a barrel of 24" that consistently allows for proper function of the bolt.

In a nutshell, the Superformance rounds <span style="text-decoration: underline">are not</span> recommended for use in semi-auto platforms. </div></div>

Yeah, that would have been nice to know before I wasted money on it (150gr). My FN hated it, my 700P hated it and its worthless for my MWS... Total waste of money.