• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Hornady TAP ammo vs/ Hornady Match

finnwerke757

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2008
virginia
Ive shot both this evenin and the TAP did much better group wise. Does anyone have any idea what the difference getween the two are? Both were 168 AMAX, same drop charts on both boxes. Match ammo did 2" at 200yds, and the TAP did .2" at 200yds. I hope the cloverleaf wasnt a damned fluke. Gonna try some more later. This is out of a Tikka T3 Tactical, stock rifle. So Im very excited to say the least.

Re: Hornady TAP ammo vs/ Hornady Match

I shoot the 168 AMAX match ammo and it's sub 1/2 MOA for me. Your rifle just might like the TAP better.

TAP has shot well in several rifles I've tried it in. Great brass to reload also.

The TAP is the highest performing 168 grain factory load in my rifle. Significantly cheaper than Federal GMM and Black Hills if you shop around and shoots better for my rifle. But my cases seem to be nickel plated... and my understanding is that it is hard on your dies when you reload it, but i'm no expert.

I came to the same conclusion, the TAP seems to have an edge over the match even though they use the same excact 168gr A-Max bullet. I only shoot TAP now and have converted several people after they realized how well that ammo performs.

same dilema here, just would love to know what kind of load they are running, so I can duplicate the damned thing LOL. And Im not a real fan of the nickel cases. They look awesome, but function is not good with reloading from what I have read. But I have no experience with nickel cases whatsoever.

one thing i did to figure out the hornady mystery load with the .223 vmax loads is to pull some ammo apart, carefully wiegh and measure everything, including a description of the powder and try to find a powder that matches that description. then shoot some of the factory ammo against the reloads (start at a reduced load and work your way up) through a crony and note the powder charge until you match up the FPS.

for instance with the .223 40gr vmax factory stuff, when the bullet was pulled, i measured 29 grains of whatever they were using. when shot the factory through a crony, the factory ammo registered 3760 fps. i then compared it to the hornady load data to see what powder was at or around 29 grains gave or was around 3760 fps. turned out accurate 2460 was the closest, so that's what i went with. it even looked the same in appearance.

actually in the reload data book, they had it listed at 27.8 gr = 3800, but their factory ammo had 29 gr doing 3760. in reality, 27.8 gr was doing 3688.

i started the process of the reloads at 26.5 grains, and worked up to 29 grains, using the exact OAL, and trimmed the frontier brass cases to duplicate the factory case. when all was said and done, the reload FPS matched the FPS of the factory loads through the crony, and on targets downrange.

maybe something like that would work for you, but using .308 168 tap loads lto figure out the recipe.

TP that was an awesome discrpton on how to tear a factory load down and try to re-build it yourself. I've thinking it over in my head on how to do it. thanks