• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Hornady TAP Ammo

SGTHAG

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2008
KS
Has anyone had any problems with Hornady TAP ammo that did not have a flash hole drilled into the casing?

I was shooting .308 168gr TAP today and had a cartridge that the primer went off but no powder burn. First thought was that there was no powder in the casing. Waited a few minutes then opened the bolt. The cartridge was stuck in the chamber and the primer pocket was empty. Found the primer stuck to the bolt face. Rim of the casing was damaged where it pulled free of the extractor. Had to use a rod to remove the cartridge. The casing had been pushed forward into the chamber by the primer explosion and buckled under the pressure causing the cartridge to lodge in the chamber. Upon further examination found that there was NO flash hole in the primer pocket.

Anyone else had this problem or no someone else who has??

Re: Hornady TAP Ammo

It occasionally happens to every manufacturer. This is definitely not the first time I have seen or heard it.
BTW, Hornady would like to know about it and will likely take care of any damage that may have been caused by it. Give them a call. They are straight up folks.

I have shot a pretty good pile of TAP ammo in various calibers and have never seen that problem. But as posted before, give the factory a call and send them that round for inspection.

The are a fantastic company to work with, they wil treat you right.

I did contact the factory. They paid to ship the remainder of the lot that I had on hand and are going to replace it. Still waiting to see if there was any damage to the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mmtuning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hopefully they throw a perk or two in for you as you are being so tolerant about the issue</div></div>

No, they won't. I returned 12 boxes of Hornady Superformance 168gr because I had popped primers and such and they replaced my ammo with 12 boxes of A-MAX 168gr.

The Superformance ammo isn't gas-gun friendly unless you're running a 24" barrel. It's really intended for bolt action rifles.

I'm waiting on what they are going to say or do also

They have 220 rounds of 338 Lapua Ammo in their Factory loaded 285s, with 8 or 10 rounds fired resulting in carboned up necks and 2 rounds that were pinned but never went off. More then likely a head space issue- But they will state that in time if that’s the case, I asked for a refund and was told no, In time I may see a return of the ammo from a different lot number.

I had a lot of money stuck in the 1600 mile road trip and 220 rounds of Hornady ammo, I was lucky to be able to use my factory Lapua 338 ammo as a backup.

I never had any problems with the Lapua ammo before or after trying the Hornady 285s.

Hornady makes good ammo, I know my son has great results with the 308 stuff in the 168 Amax load.

Red box or Black box? The 168 TAP Precision Redbox is my go to round for anything distance that needs to be downed. Never had a prob with it under any circumstances.

Can't say about the commercial avail black box TAP

Side-tracking this discussion - HSM sells 308 Win 168gr A-MAX ammo (2650 fps if memory serves). How similar/different is it performance-wise to Hornady TAP - that (as I understand) uses 168gr A-MAX loaded to about the same velocity?