• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Hornady Z-Max 168gr

sandwalk3r

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2011
Kentucky
To start out, I'm a total noob non-poser who's just trying to improve. Been shooting my whole life, but not with the discipline that I'm learning.

Picked up a box of the Hornady Z-Max at the store today. I haven't ever shot Hornady at all and am relatively new to precision shooting. I mostly use 168 gr Federal SMK BTHP on my R700 SPS model. These seemed just to be a gimmick, but I thought I'd give them a try.

I took 10 rounds of both the Federal and Hornady rounds, as well as 10 Winchester 168gr BTHP rounds out for some comparison. Each group is a 5-shot group (2 groups per load) @ 100 yds. Prone, bipod, ~600' altitude, overcast 64F, 65-72% humid (started dropping rain on me by the last two groups). ProChrono @ 10'.

Results (in order):

Winchester 168gr BTHP
Group 1: 1.15"
Group 2: 0.959"
Avg Vel: 2651.7 fps
Hi/Lo Vel: 2666/2619

Hornady 168gr Z-Max
Group 1: 0.997"
Group 2: 0.755"
Avg Vel: 2720 fps
Hi/Lo Vel: 2749/2699

Federal 168gr SMK BTHP
Note: Began to sprinkle, and I think I rushed a little
Group 1: 1.25"
Group 2: 1.07"
Avg Vel: 2726 fps
Hi/Lo Vel: 2743/2699

The Hornady Z-Max certainly seemed to perform the best w/groups. It was the only one to consistently stay at or within 1MOA, which I'm told is the mechanical capability of a stock R700 SPS.

I'm sure plenty of this is user error, but the Hornady really seemed to stand out. I've heard the Z-Max is nothing but their A-Max, but this is the first time using their pricey ammo, and I like what I'm seeing. 0.75MOA is the best 5-shot group I have ever fired out of my R700.

Being a noob, I don't know if the wider range of velocities is more of a problem, but I just know the best groups came from the Z-Max.

Anyone have similar experiences?

Z-Max_Grouping-1.jpg

Re: Hornady Z-Max 168gr

PS I think most of my bipod hop is gone. Sight picture still moves w/recoil, but not nearly as bad.

I may look into a different kind of bipod other than Harris or at least more aggressive feet. Hard to keep a consistent load when the feet slide around on the wet horse pasture ;(

Hopefully w/less shooter error the groups can tighten up more. Anyone know of how tight these R700 SPS models are capable of shooting when in the right hands?

Re: Hornady Z-Max 168gr

I have had great luck with this load as well. The Honaday 168 BTHP Match shot even better groups for me. I'm shooting a 1:12 twist in my 20 inch FN SPR A5. For some reason it loves the 155 A Max the most....