• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Hornady's 338 Lapua Factory Ammo Review

I Am Hero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
Has anyone used this enough to give me an accurate review on it? On Midway it seems that there are Inconsistent reviews with accuracy being good but brass being too soft and sticking. I like to often base my purchases off of others reviews when it is an item I can't return or re-use (if the brass really does suck).

I've seen some good prices on people wanting to sell off their extra ammo but I have been hesitant up to this point to buy any. I don't want to be ramming every other round out of my chamber when I am out on my range. Was this just earlier batches they have had issues with and since remedied or are they still having this problem? I can't figure out this issue since their 223, 308, 9mm, and 50 BMG ammo that I use is spectacular! Any insight you guys have is quite appreciated.

Hello,
When I first bought my Armalite AR-30a1, I bought 5 boxes of Hornady 250 gr factory ammo.
I shot all of it without any problems, accuracy at 300 yards has always been 1 moa, closer to
1/2 moa if I do my part with no wind. I am still reloading the cases, some have been reloaded
5 times but I do anneal the necks. The Hornady cases weigh on average apx. 218grs. where
Federal and PPU cases average 234grs. I my opinion the Federal cases are softest, I noticed
that loads like (250gr bullet 94.5grs retumbo CCI-250) caused shinny scape marks on case head.
Hope that helps---JJK

Also just for info the following loads hit same point of impact as Hornady Factory 250gr ammo at 300 yards.

250gr Midway bullet RL-33 100.5grs CCI-250 Hornady case
250gr Midway bullet Retumbo 92.0grs CCI-250 Hornady case

est. velocity apx 2800 fps----didn't have a chronograph

Has anyone used this enough to give me an accurate review on it? On Midway it seems that there are Inconsistent reviews with accuracy being good but brass being too soft and sticking. I like to often base my purchases off of others reviews when it is an item I can't return or re-use (if the brass really does suck).

I've seen some good prices on people wanting to sell off their extra ammo but I have been hesitant up to this point to buy any. I don't want to be ramming every other round out of my chamber when I am out on my range. Was this just earlier batches they have had issues with and since remedied or are they still having this problem? I can't figure out this issue since their 223, 308, 9mm, and 50 BMG ammo that I use is spectacular! Any insight you guys have is quite appreciated.

Accuracy has been sub-MOA for me out of a stock XCR LR Tac.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Mar192014_8163.jpg
    Mar192014_8163.jpg
    652.1 KB · Views: 14
I only have shot 2-3 times out of any of my Hornady 338LM. I bought about 160 as finished factory ammo, and those I have reloaded 1-2 times. I have not had any problems with sticky brass, nor with loose primers or any such thing. I bought mine at several different times, so the lots are not all the same either.

Accuracy and grouping was good and consistent also.