• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hornadys Concentricity Tool???

Whiplash5198

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2013
Idaho
Has anyone used Hornadys Concentricity tool??? Was looking to see if it’s worth it. Also wondering what the side effects may be from putting pressure on the bullet to center it. Possibly change neck tension??? My Redding competition bullet seater does pretty good, and usually seats around .000 to .004. So I am thinking about this tool to correct to .000. Any thoughts?

I got one and used it once. I did not like how it measured. Others might like it but not me. Now it just takes up space on my shelf. Just to lazy to try and sell it.

I looked at that Hornady tool but bought the forester concentricity gauge instead also look at the Sinclair and 21st century. I felt like if I was trying to fix concentricity issues of every bullet that meant I wasn’t spending time fixing my reloading process. I am very happy with my decision because I was only finding maybe 3 rounds per hundred of .308 that I considered practice rounds. Those rounds still shot well so now I only gauge ammo during reloading sessions to lock it my process. I also use it once in a while to check ammo that is match bound. I am not convinced pushing the bullet around in the neck really helps anything. I feel the best thing is process and reloading equipment you understand that produces consistent results. If you can I would try and borrow a concentricity gauge first to see if you value in the extra work.

I looked at that Hornady tool but bought the forester concentricity gauge instead also look at the Sinclair and 21st century. I felt like if I was trying to fix concentricity issues of every bullet that meant I wasn’t spending time fixing my reloading process. I am very happy with my decision because I was only finding maybe 3 rounds per hundred of .308 that I considered practice rounds. Those rounds still shot well so now I only gauge ammo during reloading sessions to lock it my process. I also use it once in a while to check ammo that is match bound. I am not convinced pushing the bullet around in the neck really helps anything. I feel the best thing is process and reloading equipment you understand that produces consistent results. If you can I would try and borrow a concentricity gauge first to see if you value in the extra work.

I have a Sinclair Concentricity gauge, and like it. But the new Hornady one is supposed to also correct any bullets from say .004 to .000.

This is the one I’m looking at...

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/p...ols-and-gauges/lock-n-load-concentricity-tool

How are you measuring the .004 now? Is it .004 total? If so that would be .002 functional run out. If you are shooting bench rest that may matter but if not it probably doesn’t. I also think the idea of “fixing” it with the hornady gauge is redic. I have the hornady and use it to check my process but my theory is that the runout is in the brass/neck not it the bullet. So squishing the bullet one way or another isn’t going to actually fix anything. FWIW my runout if any is typically .001 - .002 total so that’s .0005- .001 functional. I don’t use custom dies or any special tricks. I am very careful to not do anything to induce brass runout and it seems to work.

How are you measuring the .004 now? Is it .004 total? If so that would be .002 functional run out. If you are shooting bench rest that may matter but if not it probably doesn’t. I also think the idea of “fixing” it with the hornady gauge is redic. I have the hornady and use it to check my process but my theory is that the runout is in the brass/neck not it the bullet. So squishing the bullet one way or another isn’t going to actually fix anything. FWIW my runout if any is typically .001 - .002 total so that’s .0005- .001 functional. I don’t use custom dies or any special tricks. I am very careful to not do anything to induce brass runout and it seems to work.

That would be .004 total, and those aren’t the norm, just occasionally. And I think your right, most of that comes from the brass/resizing step. I would also like to look more into some bushing dies. I’ve tried the Lee collet sizer, but didn’t think it worked to well.

Pain in the *** to try and correct run out using it. I just use mine to verify run out from my process or check the run out on factory loads and sort. I've tried correcting run out with it, but it really is more trouble than its worth. Buying better dies resulted in better concentricity without the time expenditure of correcting run out using the Hornady tool. I expect neck turning would provide a better result as well but so far I'm satisfied with the Lee collet die for uniforming neck thickness.

Correcting the run out even slightly did nothing to reduce the velocity variations I've gotten from what I can only expect is varying differences in neck tension (on factory match loads).

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter at 1k. You are correct

I recently upgraded my Hornady unit. A friend made new spindles to check the necks. The bullet spindles are fine. The back end of the neck spindles are a bit loose as well as the front end and the bushing by the black knob wasn't tight enough to maintain it being off center. I used some metal duct tape on the spindle to make up the difference until another one is remade. The bore in the frame is a little rough but if you remake the spindles it's a great tool. You can't beat it. However you need to have good dies to keep it up as well. Lee collet and Redding body dies.

I sold mine bc checking concentricity is a waste of time if your reloading practices are up to snuff

I sold mine bc checking concentricity is a waste of time if your reloading practices are up to snuff
I can relate to that.... mine are, but brass and bullets aren't all the same and checking them, I believe, is necessary

Yeah, but what do you do when you find out it’s out of round by three or 4000s? If I load a 375 cheytac or a 50 BMG and it’s out of concentricity, I’d rather not know. There is no such thing as a pile of 50 BMG practice rounds. I just shoot them. And they shoot great, regardless of their concentricity.

• Haha
Reactions: milboltnut
I use an old Sinclair concentricity checker for Center Fire Rifle. I use it primarily to insure that nothing else is wonky in the reloading process upstream from the comparator. I've tried (successfuly) to straighten rounds, but have not found it to have made any difference in accuracy/consistency of shot placement.

I use an old Sinclair concentricity checker for Center Fire Rifle. I use it primarily to insure that nothing else is wonky in the reloading process upstream from the comparator. I've tried (successfully) to straighten rounds, but have not found it to have made any difference in accuracy/consistency of shot placement.
Too many variables involved for anyone here to make a validated assessment of your statement

Too many variables involved for anyone here to make a validated assessment of your statement
Don't know how it could get any more simple..........

As far as "validated assessments", this is a free/public forum. Everyone/anyone is free to take any advice as being worth what they paid for it, or reject it. Makes no difference to me.

Don't know how it could get any more simple..........

As far as "validated assessments", this is a free/public forum. Everyone/anyone is free to take any advice as being worth what they paid for it, or reject it. Makes no difference to me.
there's more to it than what you think. You left us in the dark, but expect to throw our hands up and say you're right ??? This is why I stay away from these forums most of the time.

there's more to it than what you think. You left us in the dark, but expect to throw our hands up and say you're right ??? This is why I stay away from these forums most of the time.
Why make an exception now ?

You won't be missed.

After my brief experience with you, I could care less about what you think.

I made a simple, innocent comment with the hope that it might help someone, somewhere. And, you decided to shit all over it.

Get lost.

any body with any sense who's been handloading, shooting long enough knows not to take any advice from guys like you.

shopping

looks good from here lol

Correct what is causing the runout problems. Maybe try an inline seating setup. I just don't like the idea of moving the bullet in the case after seating.

Reactions: milboltnut
Latest up date on MY Hornady concentricity tool gauge to the guys here that want to improve thier tool. It's a really good tool if set up right and doesn't take much to improve it and is not needed for any other more expensive gauges out there.

I had a friend make me a one piece neck spindle. The bullet spindles and head spindle are fine. Kinda messed up that Hornady does things the way they do.

The back end of the spindle on the original spindle was ok along with the bushing. The bushing had a decent fit on the spindle and the frame bore. The front end was pretty loose and was off quite a bit too much for me. I buffed out the frame bore and have a really good fit with the neck spindles and after all said and done, my runout is less than .001 on the necks with a Lee Collet die. The head spindle is fine too, and fits nicely but where the case head rests, the machine marks could be polished out. I was blaming other dies when it was Hornadys tool that was to blame.

Correct what is causing the runout problems. Maybe try an inline seating setup. I just don't like the idea of moving the bullet in the case after seating.
A VLD stem alleviates bullet runout in a decent seater.