• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornandy 73gr ELD 224 bullets

Doc68

I'm an asshole....
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2014
    USA
    Has anyone used these yet. If so how are they doing

I was able to get great groups with Varget and 8208 at 100 yards. But at 300 yards 77SMK groups were half the size of the 73 ELD groups.

Reactions: Doc68
    I shoot them out of my trainer 20" 9 twist. I did play with them in some good brass and Varget, shot some nice groups at 650.

Reactions: Doc68
    We did some limited bullet jump testing with this bullet. I asked some people at Hornady a few years ago if they could recommend a 22 cal bullet/ammo that was typically a "slam dunk" with every rifle they shot. They recommended the 73 Gr ELD-M. It won't burn the house down in the BC department, but it is pretty stable and tolerant to changes.

Here is our standard 20 consecutive shot bullet jump ladder test we did going from .000" jump to .095" jump in .005" increments.

You can see that at 400 yards, 0.000" to .010" jump was .293" MOA of vertical for 3 consecutive shots. .020" to .035" was much better with .06 MOA and .164 MOA of vertical for 3 consecutive shots. I like to look at 5 consecutive shots however. As you can see the .015" to .045" jump was very consistent and offered .346 MOA to .441 MOA of vertical for 5 consecutive shots at 400 yards.

This test was "Text Book" in the regards that the 73 gr ELD-M bullet has its jump node all bunched together despite high spreads in velocity.

So anyone loading the 73 ELD-M, I would recommend starting all of your charge weight testing with .030" jump.

Mark.

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 7.42.09 AM.png

It's been my go to PDog and Varmint bullet since 2018 and works great! I'm running it in a Remage with a 26" 1 in 8" twist Criterion barrel with a Wylde chamber @3025fps and a factory Savage 12 BVSS which has a 26" 1 in 9ish twist and standard 223 Rem chamber @2925fps.

Most people ignore the 73gr ELD-M and just go straight for the 75gr ELD-M, which is also a great bullet.

Several threads through the years here on the Hide:

Reactions: PAYDIRT
    And just like that they are out of stock. I had been shooting the 73 for positional practice, it was easy too, neck size, throw blc-2 and seat a bullet. Guess I'll try the 69 RDF's hope they are as easy as the 73's.