• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns horsehide carry belt

al redneck

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2007
B'ham Alabama
I believe that most people would benefit from a good carry belt . After having owned several holsters - cow and horsehide , I am a believer in horsehide . It is thinner, more rigid, and handles abrasion and moisture great .
When I went looking for a horsehide belt it seemed Kramer was the only choice . The $180 delivered price seemed high . When I checked some other forums I found A & G Custom Gun Leather - $87.90 and R G Leather - $72 delivered . These are both double thickness horsehide belts .
Both these belts cost $159.90 . That's 2 belts for less than 1 Kramer belt . Both of these belts are 'hard rolled' horsehide . I cannot believe anyone produces a better horsehide belt than these 2 boys . For me - I'd rather have 2 excellent belts than 1 excellent belt . A quick review :

A & G Custom Gun Leather Gainesville , GA

1.496" wide .256 thick single row of stitching . Slightly wider and thicker than R G's . A very stiff belt ! Looks like a very nice 'thick' dress belt . Even the inside of punched holes are evenly dyed . He offers a 3 day 100% guarantee . He e-mailed when belt was shipped which was only a week from order date .

R G Leather Samaria , MI

1.467 wide .238 thick
Very easy to work with . Asked for extra holes - no problem . Do you want single or double row stitching - no problem . Belt is nice looking and rigid . There was a wait for Rick ( R G Leather ) to get horsehide from his supplier .

In summary :

A & G Custom is a 'dressier' and slightly more rigid belt . R G Leather is an excellent belt - rigid but not as rigid as A & G's . If you want a good functional belt and want to save about $16 you can go with R G Leather . If you want a carry belt that looks like the best dress belt A & G Custom might serve you better .

I really like these belts and I am trying to save you boys some money . I will have my shooting partner post pictures , probably post them Tues pm .

1zfo1ld.jpg

david

Re: horsehide carry belt

Interesting you brought this up. I recently had to purchase a belt that would work in a "dressy" situation and asked in the following thread; http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2724408 . Several belt makers were mentioned, but "The Beltman" was mentioned most often.

Ultimately I ordered a black horsehide belt (without stiffner) from "The Beltman" ($100+$7 shipping). Thus far I've been satisfied with the belt. It looks good, holds up my pants, and most importantly it holds my Glock 21 with 2 additional magazines securely.

Just yesterday I got around to adding some tans/browns to my wardrobe and needed a belt to match. I ordered the SB3 by Galco in havana brown simply because it was A.) $30 less expensive at $70 shipped; and B.) In stock and ready to ship.

I failed to mention the belts are 1 1/2" . Beltman charges $127 delivered for 1 1/2" horsehide belts . His horsehide belt is 2 layers - 1 bullhide + 1 horsehide. You don't need to worry about a stiffner for the 2 belts I listed above . I am sure Beltman and Kramer make very good belts . The 2 I bought were considerably less expensive and 100% horsehide . A & G custom shipped my belt within a week from date I ordered it . I don't remember exactly how many days it was .

david

How is the dyeing holding up ? I tried a belt man, and the lower portion where it goes through the buckle is literally flaking off.

The Milt Spark belt I have wears great, and still is a keeper, except I've added a few inches to the waist since I got it 6 years ago. I went beltman, but its definately thinner and not as supportive.

I'm in search of a new belt, maybe horse might be the way to go, else I'll go back to Milt Sparks.

I have only had the A & G Custom belt for about a month and the R G Leather for a couple of weeks . Both look new . I had my friend take the above picture yesterday . The dye is just as good as when I opened the packages . I really believe horsehide is the way to go . I know both these boys would appreciate the business and give you a good product .

david

I just got my third Beltman belt. My newest one is horse with the stiffener. I love it! The other two I got when the Beltman first opened his business about 6 or 7 years ago. The prices have changed but the product is as good as ever.

I am sure Beltman and others make good horsehide belts BUT with the 2 boys I received belts from are 100 % horsehide - not 50 % horsehide , like Beltmans . They are also a lot less expensive and don't need any stiffner . I am sure people are happy with other belts they have bought in the past . I wrote the original post to save people money . If someone wants to buy 1/2 horsehide belts or 'designer' belts that costs 50 - 100 % more than the belts I reviewed - go for it . I know I had a hard time finding 100 % horsehide belts that were not too expensive .

david

I have three A&G belts. Have worn one every day for the past two years. They hold up well, and continue to look good.

I ordered a Sharkskin belt from the Beltman and the finish started to flake off where the holster sat. When I called to inquire about this I got a stern lecture on why synthetic holsters do not mix well with leather belts and wear is part of the package deal.

Funny my A&G belts don't know the difference between a Milt Sparks, Grizzle or synthetic holster. the finish has never worn or scuffed..YMMV

Kramer makes an excellent horsehide belt. Have had one for years and it is still going.

I've always thought Kramer was the way to go when looking for horsehide. I've got a couple of his horsehide holsters an they have held up great. The prices are a little steep.

I might have to give these other guys a look though. Thanks for the review.

Just to follow up with this, I've recently purchased and used The Beltman, A&G Custom Gunleather, and a Galco.

Of the three, I like The Beltman the best. Not really because its "better", but that I can't find anything "bad" to say about it.

The A&G belt is by far the thickest and stiffest. In fact, it is so thick that I'm having to have the belt loop to the left of the buckle altered on my pants to fit the loose end of the belt through. Because of this, this belt has seen the least usage to date.

The Galco is "alright". I've found that it scratches easily and is difficult to order the correct size. The manufacture tells you to measure one way, all the reviews say to measure another. Ultimately I got mine about an inch too small to use the center hole. On a side note for OpticsPlanet who I ordered the Galco belt from, big thumbs down for not taking an exchange for the new, unused belt for one that's one size larger. Well, thats exaggerated a little...I think they may have done an exchange had I jumped over the moon en route to a far distant galaxy to comply with all of their "return/exchange" policies. Sorry for the mid-post rant.

I've used The Beltman the most and it has lost some of the stiffness that it had when it was new (of course). Although it doesn't stand straight out when held in my hand anymore, it still doesn't roll at the edges when carrying a G21, spare mags, radio, handcuffs, etc.

Of the three, I'd order another from The Beltman for sure. I don't know if it'll be cheaper to have all my pants altered to fit the A&G, or buy another belt from The Beltman. Something to research, I guess.

After carrying 1911's for a few years, I just settled on Wilderness Tactical nylon with plastic inserts. Everything else eventually lost stiffness and became uncomfortable, including Milt Sparks.

Mitch Rosen also makes belts to go with his IWB holsters. I have had one for several years and it has held up well to abuse and neglect. They are very thick and stiff, not sure what leather they are made out of.

BTW, it's ridiculous to say that you don't need the stiffener. Stiffer is better no matter what. I have them both ways and I'd not be without the stiffener.

I've only used these belts for a couple months now, so there may be a time when I contradict what I'm about to type.

The stiffness of all 3 of the belts have been just fine thus far. The Galco belt will be the first to start rolling at the edge, but The Beltman that I have (without stiffner) I can't see rolling anytime in the foreseeable future.

I guess with the small amount of time I've spent with these belts so far, the stiffner seems to be an additional cost without a whole lot of benefit. Like I stated in the first paragraph though, time will tell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, it's ridiculous to say that you don't need the stiffener. Stiffer is better no matter what. I have them both ways and I'd not be without the stiffener.</div></div>

Sorry boy but not correct ( I'll bet you don't own an A&G belt), as sawgunner2001 said A&G's belt "is by far the thickest and stiffest" . Had these belts for about 3 months . They both look new and are still about as stiff as the day I got them . I use my belts in bluejeans so no problem fitting in the belt loops for belt overhang . I am pretty sure A&G would taper end of the belt if requested . It is a shame not to give him the business since his product really is superior . I'd write and ask him if he could taper the end of the belt .

david

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: al redneck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, it's ridiculous to say that you don't need the stiffener. Stiffer is better no matter what. I have them both ways and I'd not be without the stiffener.</div></div>

Sorry boy but not correct ( I'll bet you don't own an A&G belt), as sawgunner2001 said A&G's belt "is by far the thickest and stiffest" . Had these belts for about 3 months . They both look new and are still about as stiff as the day I got them . I use my belts in bluejeans so no problem fitting in the belt loops for belt overhang . I am pretty sure A&G would taper end of the belt if requested . It is a shame not to give him the business since his product really is superior . I'd write and ask him if he could taper the end of the belt .

david </div></div>

With all due respect, carry a 1911 on it for a year and then get back to us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomthebaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: al redneck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, it's ridiculous to say that you don't need the stiffener. Stiffer is better no matter what. I have them both ways and I'd not be without the stiffener.</div></div>

david </div></div>

With all due respect, carry a 1911 on it for a year and then get back to us.</div></div>

Read Simo Hayha's post in this thread, he's been wearing his every day for 2 years and mentions using different holsters with it. I will post after I've had the belts for a year - if I remember . If I don't, feel free to pm me and remind me . But if I still am impressed will somebody say "Wait 5 years while carrying a Desert Eagle with 4 double mag pouches and then get back to us" ?

I really am amazed that people can't just read the reviews of people that have used a good product that is considerably less expensive than other 'name brands' and try to consider that maybe it is a better value . I post when I feel I have something that may be helpful to other shooters . I am sure several people will be helped .

david

I have a Ken Null belt- horsehide with insert. Very nice in looks and performance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: al redneck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomthebaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: al redneck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, it's ridiculous to say that you don't need the stiffener. Stiffer is better no matter what. I have them both ways and I'd not be without the stiffener.</div></div>

david </div></div>

With all due respect, carry a 1911 on it for a year and then get back to us.</div></div>

Read Simo Hayha's post in this thread, he's been wearing his every day for 2 years and mentions using different holsters with it. I will post after I've had the belts for a year - if I remember . If I don't, feel free to pm me and remind me . But if I still am impressed will somebody say "Wait 5 years while carrying a Desert Eagle with 4 double mag pouches and then get back to us" ?

I really am amazed that people can't just read the reviews of people that have used a good product that is considerably less expensive than other 'name brands' and try to consider that maybe it is a better value . I post when I feel I have something that may be helpful to other shooters . I am sure several people will be helped .

david </div></div>

Haha, it is just that my experience with leather and no stiffener was that even the best leather looses its stiffness after a year of carrying a heavy gun. I was very happy with my Milt Sparks belt at the three month mark, also.

I have used regular leather belts for years and I agree that they do get alot less stiff after a few months . That is why I am so impressed with a good horsehide belt . If the boys on here would read the posts, everyone who has a horsehide belt says it is stiffer and holds up better than regular cow leather . If other boys would post about the 'need' for a belt stiffner for horsehide belts - who actually own horsehide belts and have used them for a year or more, it might help others . If someone actually reads the posts in this thread , everyone who has an A&G Custom belt has praised them . Therefore, Good product, good customer reviews, cheaper price would seem to be worth consideration if someone needs a carry belt . If everyone wanted exactly the same thing there would only be one model of rifle sold . Some people will only buy a designer name, others only what they have bought before or the newest and 'best'. Others will do what I did - shop around, read reviews and be willing to try something that appears to be a very good product and see how it works for them .
Thanks tomthebaker for your input. I really was serious about reminding me to update this thread around the middle of Sept after I've had these belts for a year .

david

I'm a hard headed stubborn fucker. There's about 3 ways of doin things, my way or the highway. That out of the way. I used to think a "good" leather belt was good enough. Wrong. When my 1911s started getting fancier,so did my leather.
`
DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

Top pictured is El Paso Saddlery Ranger belt. Bottom pictured is Milt Sparks horse hide and shark skin.

A good belt does more than hold a gun and magazine pouches. It holds anything that might try and roll over it.

I wouldn't dream of owning another belt that wasn't a top quality leather gun belt. I've shopped a little and in that little have yet to find better quality than El Paso and Milt Sparks.

Ranger belt is cow skin, but it's not just "cow skin". Belt is made of strap leather from a specific area on hide that is thicker. Ranger belt is my daily carry belt, combined with holster and magazine pouches the most comfortable rig I have. There's a lot of days I'll holster up and still be holstered well into the next day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomthebaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: al redneck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, it's ridiculous to say that you don't need the stiffener. Stiffer is better no matter what. I have them both ways and I'd not be without the stiffener.</div></div>

david </div></div>

With all due respect, carry a 1911 on it for a year and then get back to us. </div></div>

Well it has been over a year that I've had these 2 horsehide belts . Guess what - they both look great . The only thing that indicates they are not brand new is where I use the same belt notch , there is a small bulge . The 1 belt also has a small area where the black has worn off ( about 1/4 x 3/8")because I shoot prone on concrete once or twice a week .
Remember if you give anyone an 'atta boy' in this thread give the current price . I carry regular 1911 or Glock . Hope this helps someone .

david

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With all due respect, carry a 1911 on it for a year and then get back to us.</div></div>

Or 10.

A leather belt that shows no wear hasn't been worn long enough.

Another name you want to check out for a quality belt is Jerry Bissel. His belts are 55.00 shipped and he does them in less than 48 hours. I have three.

I simply don't understand the resistance to the stiffener. I love leather, but leather is made from skin. It stretches and weakens over time. Sew a layer of plastic in between and it doesn't.

I have three Milt Sparks gun belts, youngest is year and half the oldest is six years. Put them in the belt loops and they hold the waist out your form, they do not collapes, they will not fold in half. sure you could put a strip of plastic in there, but what would it do other than add weight to an already well built belt.