• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Horus HDMR H58 vs Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40mm

Markp

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
What say the experts? I noticed that the military discount for the HDMR H58 puts the scope at $850 and the Mark 4 3.5-10 (M3 or M5/FFP) are both about $1100 on promotive.

Assuming that I will use this as a general purpose scope for shooting 300-600 yards on a .223 or .308 caliber semi-auto platform.

The Horus scope seems like a great deal, and that's the way I was leaning. Wife wants to buy me a high end scope for our anniversary (and I won't ask her to spend over $1500 regardless.) Other brands and suggestions are welcome in the $800-1200 range.

Mark

Re: Horus HDMR H58 vs Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40mm

It's actually a bushnell elite with the horus h58 reticle in it. But the IOR or nightforce is an excellent choice too.

If you like the Horus reticles, the HDMR is a good deal, and Bushnell has a good reputation for their Elite scopes. Your comparison is kind of apples to oranges though, the Bushnell is a 34mm tube, and a way larger mag range than the Leupold. I think the closer comparison would be the new Leupy 6.5-20 and then you're over $2000.
The HDMR is big, and heavy, so for a general purpose rifle it might not be the best option. The suggestion of a NF 2.5-10 may be a better option, or the IOR 2.5-10. I have an IOR and I love it. I have looked at the promotive deals on Leupold many times, but I think there are too many better options. BTW, if you contact NF they give a military discount.
Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce 2.5-10, IOR Valdada 2.5-10 FFP?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Horus doesn't have a good reputation at all, I don't think I'd go that route.</span></div></div>

+1 Horus doesn't have a good rep for warranty.

Oh, the warranty disclaimer is just Horus not wanting to be responsible for repairing Bushnell scopes. A Bushnell rep on here has already stated that they would take care of warranty issues with these scopes.

I have a hdmr in my possesion as of today. If you like the reticle you will be pleased with this kit for this price. I dont know how it tracks yet but I will not be dialing it anyway. More important is that it holds 0 for me. Good looking kit. The rear of the scope is a little long so it has to mounted pretty far foward. This will be easy for a gas gun with a Larue mount though.
my 2 cents.
T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a hdmr in my possesion as of today. If you like the reticle you will be pleased with this kit for this price. I dont know how it tracks yet but I will not be dialing it anyway. More important is that it holds 0 for me. Good looking kit. The rear of the scope is a little long so it has to mounted pretty far foward. This will be easy for a gas gun with a Larue mount though.
my 2 cents.
T </div></div>

Got any pics?

The stats I saw said it's a foot long and weighs two pounds so about like my IOR 3-18 in size I would wager.

I do like the reticle, I have found that I don't mind shooting offsets, which is something the Horus reticles make pretty trivial.

Keep the good information coming, support makes a difference and the fact that Bushnell is willing to stand behind it makes me a little more comfortable. I realize that I would give up some magnification and spend a bit more to enjoy the Leupold scope.

I think it's the recticle that really attracts me for it's ability to help make offset shots easy.

Here are some pics from thread here. Mine looks like this one of course. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...206#Post2509206

It is a realy nice scope for the money. I just bought a USO with the Horus reticle in it. I wish I had spend my money on three of these insted. Of well. Time will tell the durability. Im no operator so I think it is more than enough scope for me. I doubt there are many guys here betting their life on it. Bu time will tell..

At 800$ I might take a chance on that assuming you like the reticle and the power range. I hate buying stuff without at least seeing it in person before hand though.

You active duty guys are paying half as much as us retired/former military guys will have to pay. toddconley, you might want to sell that USO and pour whatever money you get into a few more HDMR's. Heck, you could make almost twice what you paid for those scopes. Then again, you'll have to find someone willing to pay $1600 for an HDMR!
wink.gif

hopefully it will turn out to be ok - if it's anything like the test lowlight did on the elite 4200 3-12 ffp - then i will be pleased!

We discusses buying multiples of these and quickly desided it would be very bad etiquette and karma would probably catch up at some point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We discusses buying multiples of these and quickly desided it would be very bad etiquette and karma would probably catch up at some point. </div></div>
Good call there Todd! Nice to see someone has an ethical mindset.