• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hostess is closing. RIP Twinkies...

Re: Hostess is closing. RIP Twinkies...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy Montag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys should calm down and thank a union worker for weekends and an eight hour work shift. Plumbers Local Union #8 here baby!!!

SPM </div></div>

Those inventions largely came from Endicott-Johnson, a NON-UNION employer and the largest shoe manufacturer in this country for nearly a century. They also were amongst first to have a profit sharing plan for employees.

Pretty ironic you actually think Unions created those benefits.

$(KGrHqF,!qcFBp-pcVrmBQo!+fmjwg~~60_57.JPG

</div></div>

I never said we created them, but I will say we protected them, so your welcome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorthernBorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh for fucking fuck sakes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Fresh-Boxes-10...=item3ccc80e6f9 </div></div>

Who would have thought that any part of a zombie movie would predict the future: "One of these days life's Twinkie guage is gonna go.....emmmmpty."

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M1vYj0E2Hr0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M1vYj0E2Hr0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F*&k Unions across the board. They are a cancer on our economic society. </div></div>

This is how I feel times 10!

Kinda of a funny story about Hostess products. Couple months ago I was teaching some cops from Uganda. To get the class moving and talking some I would hand out Hostess Ho-Ho's and Ding Dongs. Now most of these guys have never had anything like that in their lives so I was big hit. When you make $109.00 a month, Hostess cupcakes are the last thing on the list I imagine. Now with events going on at Hostess those might be the last cupcakes they ever eat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rkgsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kinda of a funny story about Hostess products. Couple months ago I was teaching some cops from Uganda. To get the class moving and talking some I would hand out Hostess Ho-Ho's and Ding Dongs. Now most of these guys have never had anything like that in their lives so I was big hit. When you make $109.00 a month, Hostess cupcakes are the last thing on the list I imagine. Now with events going on at Hostess those might be the last cupcakes they ever eat. </div></div>

When you're from Uganda, everything may just well be the last thing you eat. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you're from Uganda, everything may just well be the last thing you eat. LOL</div></div>

LMAO...touché!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HOLY SHIT.

I don't think I've ever had a thread that I, my humble self, have created that went on this long.

Not to mention, with TWO moderators looking/posting in it and they're not here to ban my ass.

Can someone please photoshop me a badge of honor or something?

</div></div>

There you go, check out your avatar. Congrats. </div></div>LMAO!

A little update in the aftermath of this Hostess debacle.

As we know the Teamsters were on-board with that concessions.
But the Bakers union screwed it up... as a result 18K out of work and over a 3rd were teamsters.

In public after the closing the teamsters played nice said all the right things.

BUT now they are going after the Bakers union employees getting them to de-certify and are bringing them in as teamsters.

This is a big deal, previously there was an agreement not to poach membership.

Personally, I hope it happens cause I'm at a split shop right now. Combining to one union will do a lot of good here.

Union on Union crime, lol

Go figure... A Union fucking another Union after they said they wouldn't.

Blaming the unions for hostess? That's like blaming the Stockton CA, Police Dept. for the money problems in Stockton, CA! Hostess should have just raised the price of their goods, and paid the Union what it needs, just like Stockton, CA should raise taxes in order to pay their PD and FD, if they don't like the deal they agreed to, then whey did they agree to start with?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Personally, I hope it happens cause I'm at a split shop right now. Combining to one union will do a lot of good here. </div></div>

Personally I have seen this happen in a shipyard that I used to work in. 11 different unions in 1 yard, then the stockholders vote to sell to a private party individual who came in and said either all switch to this 1 union or you are out at the next contract renewing. Needless to say I no longer am employed down there, so I highly disagree with the good that making people ditch their union to join another does...

But back on course to the Hostess twinkies... The wife said she saw new twinkes in the grocery store yesterday but they had a different name. Did somebody buy out the Twinkie reciepe already?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Personally, I hope it happens cause I'm at a split shop right now. Combining to one union will do a lot of good here. </div></div>

Personally I have seen this happen in a shipyard that I used to work in. 11 different unions in 1 yard, then the stockholders vote to sell to a private party individual who came in and said either all switch to this 1 union or you are out at the next contract renewing. Needless to say I no longer am employed down there, so I highly disagree with the good that making people ditch their union to join another does...

But back on course to the Hostess twinkies... The wife said she saw new twinkes in the grocery store yesterday but they had a different name. Did somebody buy out the Twinkie reciepe already? </div></div>

Sorry for your situation but scheduling and training around a split shop is a pain and quite expensive.

Just raising your prices to pay for it is not an option for there are real market conditions at play.

I can't imagine the hell of working around 11 unions since 2 are a pain in the ass. So though I feel for you personally, I understand the company wanting to flexibility to actually be able to schedule and cross train.

There is no doubt in my mind the Bakers union dissolving here and becoming part of the teamsters would be a win-win for all involved. Our teamsters local has better benefits and better pay. Also, the improvements in cross training and scheduling will more than offset those extra costs not to mention the long term advantage of being able to promote supervisors from the ranks because they understand the whole process.

I'd do without both unions if I could, but that's a different discussion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pawprint2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blaming the unions for hostess? That's like blaming the Stockton CA, Police Dept. for the money problems in Stockton, CA! Hostess should have just raised the price of their goods, and paid the Union what it needs, just like Stockton, CA should raise taxes in order to pay their PD and FD, if they don't like the deal they agreed to, then whey did they agree to start with? </div></div>

Yeah, except for the folks signing the deal don't have to use their money...

Its a much different situation when you are signing long term agreements with others' property to secure a job now. Especially since you won't be around when it all falls apart.

Just say'in.

The folks signing the agreements in the case of a local Govt. were in fact elected (here in the USA), and in most cased re-elected after signing the deals, hence, the majority must have not had too big a problem with the "deals" or they wouldn't have cast all those votes to keep there govt. in office.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pawprint2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The folks signing the agreements in the case of a local Govt. were in fact elected (here in the USA), and in most cased re-elected after signing the deals, hence, the majority must have not had too big a problem with the "deals" or they wouldn't have cast all those votes to keep there govt. in office. </div></div>

True, because most voters didn't realize that their property has been mortgaged 10 times over by the folks elected. There is ample evidence of this, say every place in California.

I'll leave it at that, results speak for themselves.