• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hot loads in an ar-15

slydog3

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2013
I went to load up some light plinking loads so I took the published starting load from hodgdons web site of 25 grains of varget with a 60 grain hornady sp bullet. I loaded up 5 and took a box of 55 gr pmc. shoot both through a chronograph. pmc averaged 2750fps and the hand loads averaged 2650 with no real pressure signs so I loaded up 60 rounds and shot them on another range trip. when I got the brass out of the tumbler I noticed the primers were starting to flatten out and had 6 or 7 with case neck splits. should I be worried about any damage to my rifle?

Why hot loads? Get a different caliber. I doubt you did any damage to the rifle but I would re-ck all reloading procedures.

Wasn't trying to load hot it was the starting charge. They were just plinking loads.

What chamber? What length barrel? Primer flattening is a possible indicator of pressure, sometimes its just soft primers. Longitudinal case neck splits are not a sign of pressure, they are a sign of hardened brass. Grains nor velocity look all that hot for .223Rem. I made a mistake once and ended up with five cases that looked like little belted magnums and had horribly deformed rims to go along with them, the AR has shot a couple thousand rounds since with out issue. I highly doubt you harmed your rifle.

Its a 16" barrel 1 in 9 twist with a 556 chamber. Brass was twice fired range pic ups. I didn't notice any difference in recoil and the velocity was slower than 55 grain pmc.

Split necks on LC and other 223 brass accounts for 95% of the brass that I have thrown in the scape bucket. Loose primer pockets from pickup brass(never know what the previous owner did to it) and high grass account for the other 5%.

Hot loads in an ar-15

It's hard to read pressure signs on an AR by examining the brass or primers. And what ARs will take varies widely. But the .223 has very limited case capacity. When I start blowing primers I back off half a grain and call that my max load.