• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hottest load for .223?

bjohnson87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Greenville SC
Hey guys goin to shoot some coyote's tomorrow what's the hardest hitting flatest shooting load that you guys know of thanks for the help

Re: Hottest load for .223?

hornady vmax 40 gr or 55 gr, that is if you don't want to save the hide...

40GR.V-MAX MOLY OAL 2.24
trim cases to 1.757
AA2460 powder 29gr 3765 fps
28.5 3720 fps
28 3688 fps
27.5 3611 fps

For me it would be a 60 v-max minimum, or a 65 Game king.
Hot hot? Start loading at book max and move up until you start getting really punished, or punched primers...(unless your using 7.5br or nato primers- they can take tons of abuse- don't try to go that far with them...)

Thanks guys there really putting a hurtin on my turkeys so imma smoke one tomorrow afternoon should be fun around 300 yard shots too!!!!!!!

Screw working up a load, let's just as strangers on the internet...

i bet it would be like a tank hittin him ha ill pick some up in the morning and load em

I shot a lot of coyotes and never had to go to SUPER HOT loads.

I think an accurate round would be better. Velocity dosnt mean Accuracy.

In my rifles, high velocity means unaccurate loads. My most accurate loads are under max. I want accuracy over velocity.

Rewind before you take any advice on that ? Accuracy should be your main concern not max velocity. Also to give you any guidance it would be helpful to know some parameters, rifle/chamber/twist...??

18 gr Blue Dot 33 gr Vmax moly:
Half the rounds show no pressure signs on the brass and read 4100 fps on the chrono.
Half the rounds show horrible pressure signs on the brass and read 4200 fps on the chrono.

H110 loads are too fast for my chrono.

The .223 is registered with SAAMI at 55kpsi, but the case head is good for more like 75kpsi, so the published loads for the .223 [from the point of view of an advanced handloader] are silly wimpy.

For 55 gr., 25.3 gr H335 is the Hodgdon published max load.
For 55 gr., 29.0 gr H335 is the max useful load.
For 55 gr., 31.0 gr H335 is short brass life.

with a 40 grainer, in a bolt action.. ( all that I shoot), then 4000 fps is safely possible using RL 7....

Why?
What will you gain?
If you can't hit the thing you want to put it in shock by getting close and then doing it with a hammer?

Stupid.
You should not even be reloading. Risking your EYES or worse because you are too lazy to spend time LEARNING and testing.

Step back, think, learn and save issues. Somethings you can't get back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why?
What will you gain?
If you can't hit the thing you want to put it in shock by getting close and then doing it with a hammer?

Stupid.
You should not even be reloading. Risking your EYES or worse because you are too lazy to spend time LEARNING and testing.

Step back, think, learn and save issues. Somethings you can't get back. </div></div>

Well Mr Johns:

If you comments were directed at me..

Someone asked a question... I answered it. With a load that I have used safely...

however if you are personally concerned, I'd like to also point out that for most of my own shooting most of my 223 reloads are in the 22 Hornet velocity range.....I'm just a person who knows what the potential of my cartridges are on both the high end and the low end, by testing them.

My short time on this forum, what I have liked, is a level or respect toward other forum members, vs some other sites I have seen. I hope you are not a negative example. I have no intention of offending anyone.

of the load I did post, I've shot it well over a 1000 times, and have reloaded the same brass 20 plus times with no loose primer pockets present... so I'd say the pressure was well within the specs for the cartridge by SAAMI specs.

So I share your sentiment, of what will someone gain... but there are times that some folks will gain.. hence they asked a question...

and it is their choice on how they do it... neither your or my choice...

and I submit this respectfully, not argumentatively..

When you get done running fast and settle, load up on some HSM 50 VMax ammo. Reman will do just fine. Pretty impressive loaded ammo!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why?
What will you gain?

Stupid.

Step back, think, learn and save issues. Somethings you can't get back. </div></div>

I used to be addicted to Seafire's posts 6 years ago, when he would post his favorite loads.

I have since met him and seen him kill rodents at long distance.

He is a clever guy with a sense of humor.

While most handloaders follow a cook book, he is more innovative.

Some advice for you, AUJohn, don't start off on your worst foot.

WOW!!! Clark, just did a quick calc on those H335 loads. Quickload has the 25.3gr at 55887psi 3350fps out of a 26" barrel. The other 2 are scary. 29.0 gr 94500psi 3800 fps, 31.0gr 128237psi 4036fps.

I know its just a calculator and some assumptions were made on COAL and brass capacity but I wouldn't want my face anywhere near something that calculates 233% above the SAAMI 55000psi.

Buyer beware

Hifly78,

Here is my shpeal on case head strength.
The SAAMI registered max average pressure are a little capricious, but the case heads are consistent.

1) The 1889 Mauser 7.65x53mm case head design, when built with a large Boxer primer and shot in a strong rifle is good for 62kpsi factory ammo and 65kpsi custom hand loads.
Pressure sign: primers fall out
Better pressure sign: primer insertion is too easy
Best pressure sign: extractor groove grows .001" anywhere around the circumference.
Examples: 22-250, 243, 6mm Rem, 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, 25-06, 260 Rem, 6.5x55 [US brass], 270, 7mm-08, 7x57mm, 280, 308, 7.62x51mm, 30-06, 8x57mm, 338F, 358, and 35W.

2) The 1950 designed .222 case head with small rifle primer is good for 75 kpsi with custom handloads.
Pressure sign: primers fall out
Better pressure sign: primer insertion is too easy
Best pressure sign: extractor groove grows .001" anywhere around the circumference.
Examples: 17 Rem, 204 Ruger, 221 Rem Fireball, .222 Win, .223 Win, 5.56x45mm, .222 Rem mag, 6x45mm.

3) The 1889 Mauser 7.65x53mm case head design, when built with a small Boxer primer and shot in a strong rifle with bushed firing pin hole is good for 85kpsi custom hand loads.
Pressure sign: primer pierces
Better pressure sign: extreme cratering of primer
Examples: 22BR, 6mmBR, 6x47mm, 6.5x47mm, 7mmBR, 30BR, Lapua small primer 308

What does it all mean?
a) I am exceeding the SAAMI registered max average pressure of 55kpsi on 223s, because I can.

b) I don't try to get long case life out of 270 at the SAAMI registered max average pressure of 65kpsi in more than one of my 270s, because I can't.

c) Why do you think they registered the new 260 at 62kpsi?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seafire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Well Mr Johns:

If you comments were directed at me..
<span style="color: #FF0000">It's reasonably clear my comments were aimed at the OP. OTOH, if you are upset about people being concerned a new reloader has no idea about safety then I guess we have something to talk about
smile.gif
</span>

Someone asked a question... I answered it. With a load that I have used safely...
<span style="color: #FF0000">Will his gun use them safely? I didn't look at your load data. I didn't check it. My concern was his attitude. If your load data is within safe load margin (we can assume this is no higher than load manual data) then there should be nothing to have concern about.</span>

however if you are personally concerned, I'd like to also point out that for most of my own shooting most of my 223 reloads are in the 22 Hornet velocity range.....I'm just a person who knows what the potential of my cartridges are on both the high end and the low end, by testing them.
<span style="color: #FF0000">In YOUR guns
wink.gif
High end load data used in different guns is stupid when not worked up. Nothing in the OP's post made me think he knew how to. What about you? Was there nothing in his posts which made you worried about what he was likely to do? </span>

My short time on this forum, what I have liked, is a level or respect toward other forum members, vs some other sites I have seen. I hope you are not a negative example. I have no intention of offending anyone.
<span style="color: #FF0000">Honestly, I don't care if you get upset or unhappy. I was more concerned that a guy who does not know much about reloading was likely to do something stupid. </span>

of the load I did post, I've shot it well over a 1000 times, and have reloaded the same brass 20 plus times with no loose primer pockets present... so I'd say the pressure was well within the specs for the cartridge by SAAMI specs.
<span style="color: #FF0000">Those comments tell me you have little knowledge and need to step back until you do. Different guns act in different ways. His OAL can spike pressures, All sorts of things go on. </span>

So I share your sentiment, of what will someone gain... but there are times that some folks will gain.. hence they asked a question...

and it is their choice on how they do it... neither your or my choice...
<span style="color: #FF0000">What the OP was asking was silly and quite bad news. It was your choice to post data when you seem to not understand a few basics. It was my choice to try and get him to think.</span>

and I submit this respectfully, not argumentatively..
</div></div>
As I said, my post was to the OP. I do think you need to understand a few of the basics in regards to reloading though.

Joined two posts to save space

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
While most handloaders follow a cook book, he is more innovative.
<span style="color: #FF0000">Most handloaders are able to work up loads and data in a safe manner in the guns they own. What's "innovative" about that? </span>

Some advice for you, AUJohn, don't start off on your worst foot.
<span style="color: #FF0000"> Anyone who thinks you can run at the load levels you do has nothing intelligent to tell me. You must be insane to have even posted those loads as being usable without HUGE risk
color]

Here is my shpeal on case head strength.
The SAAMI registered max average pressure are a little capricious, but the case heads are consistent.
[color:#FF0000]God help us... </span>

What does it all mean?
a) I am exceeding the SAAMI registered max average pressure of 55kpsi on 223s, because I can.
<span style="color: #FF0000">Can he? Does he know enough to understand the risk? You might chose to do something stupid and think you will always get away with it. He does not know enough to understand.</span>

b) I don't try to get long case life out of 270 at the SAAMI registered max average pressure of 65kpsi in more than one of my 270s, because I can't.
<span style="color: #FF0000">Who cares about you
wink.gif
I was more concered about the OP who clearly has a lack of knowledge. It's a real pity you came along and posted the type of shit I was worried about him using.</span>

c) Why do you think they registered the new 260 at 62kpsi? </div></div>
<span style="color: #FF0000">WOW. We need to be very clear here. Your loads are idiotic and NEED to be removed.
You are insane to be running those loads.
Idiotic to be posting them.
and FAR worse for giving unsafe data like that to someone who has a lack of knowledge.
Do something about your arrogance before it blinds or kills you.
Just insane to even suggest those loads can be run. Go ask in the gunsmithing forum and see if you can find ONE of the gunsmiths who would agree it's safe to run at those pressures. What's the maximum "safe" pressure for a Rem 700 action? Let's just guess this is what he is using. We don't know but who cares, It's not like there is any real risk running WELL above a proof load...
I'm stunned you would post suggesting those loads can be run to a reloader who does not know much.
If you want to be stupid, do it quietly. </span>

You should understand I have held back much of what I feel like saying or my honest opinion of those loads and the knowledge level of anyone running them
wink.gif

ClaudeRains-thumb-168x176.gif

I'm shocked, shocked to find that posting about exceeding 223 SAAMI 55kpis pressures is being done on the internet!

PrimersFallingOut223tiny-1.jpg

Different 223 brass reaction to the same load of 18 gr Blue Dot 33 gr Vmax.
The over pressure measure 4200 fps and the not over pressured rounds measure 4100 fps.

1AR15BlueDot18Gr33VmaxDSCF0027.jpg

The 18 gr Blue Dot 33 gr Vmax in an AR15 can show unique markings:
a) case stretching
b) extractor mark
c) ejector hole mark

h335cases223small.jpg

Left to right H335 55 gr 223 brass and Quickload prediction:
unfired, extractor groove .329"
28 gr, extractor groove .329", 11% overload 69 kpsi
29 gr, extractor groove .329", 15% overload 80kpsi
30 gr, extractor groove .3295", 19% overload 92kpsi
31 gr, extractor groove .3320", 23% overload 106kpsi

What does it all mean?
The Blue Dot loads are erratic at high pressure and should be avoided. I typically shoot thousands in a day at 35kpsi.

The H335 loads are predictable and I run them much higher than SAAMI registered max average pressure, ~ 75kpsi for long brass life.

Not here to engage in a pissing contest...

nor will I...

seems you are more full of yourself and your 'knowledge' that you think no one has any experience or expertise anywhere near approaching yours...

so you must accept my apologies for raining on your Pompous Parade...

must be wonderful to be you...

If you don't know anything, everything seems dangerous.
It is a matter of good discipline to resist accusing others of being dangerous, without first understanding their point of view.

When I get work as a consulting engineer where the engineers are stuck, I must tread lightly. I politely ask why they have done what they have done. When I come up with the cause of the problem and propose a solution, 90% of the time, I did not get a complete explanation of the situation. I often hear, "If we can do your proposed X, then would might as well do Y."
I leave the situation with the problem solved by the engineers who were already there.
I still invoice for my hours, but my real function seems to be to ask questions politely of those who are stuck in their point of view, and get them to look at it differently.

I am not going to make any money if I start calling people names that I think are wrong, because I never know everything, even if it feels like it.

The dog will not know the difference between 100 fps more or less. He will know if you miss....".and then run like hell

Clark, I'm not going to argue pressure wih you. I just wanted to point out that the brass you are using is Lake City. It is not .223 Remington, but 5.56 mil-spec.

55,000 PSI for .223 Remington, 62,000 for 5.56. Your brass is holding up because it isn't .223 but 5.56. Not all .223 brass is made to the same spec as 5.56.

223brassmixed.jpg

Gunsnjeeps,
Those other pics may be of LC 223 brass, but here is a pic of brass that is as mixed. Real diversity in this box. The only thing taken out is brass with a flash hole too small for the decapping pin.

7.62x51mm LC brass is heavier than commercial 308 brass.
5.56x45mm LC brass is NOT heavier than commercial 223 brass.[read equivalent capacity]

308 may be registered at 62 kpsi, but I can get long brass life with safety margin at 67 kpsi. An extra 8% was left on the table for me to pick up.

223 may be registered at 55 kpsi, but I can get get long brass life with safety margin at 75 kpsi. An extra 36% was left on the table for me to pick up.

I work up to the threshold of short brass life and back off a safety margin. I compare that with Quickload, and when the predicted velocity matches the chronograph, I talk about the predicted pressure.

Beginners should use published loads.