• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How about a gardening thread?

I just built a mobile planter for fiance uploadfromtaptalk1391267728405.jpgthat is it almost done

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Does anybody else use horse power for farming? We still use a draft for alot of farm work, these are pictures of Big John, our Belgian at 17 hands and 2300 lbs.

My dad driving him

DSC_1764_zpsad79033f.jpg

Helping my nephew plow

DSC_1857_zps5b22d408.jpg

Me and him resting at the end of a row

DSC_0089_zps643cf6e5.jpg

We have a tractor and other mechanical equipment, but we try to keep the old ways alive to an extent, because if we don't, who will?

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Just awesome.....keep it all coming! As soon as I can get out of here, I am going to set up as much garden on my 1/2 acre as possible while I look for more land. I am done doing federal work as a GI, GS, or as a defense contractor. I need simplicity and hard physical work to feel accomplished. I can't wait!

Here it is finished, had to let the thompson water seal sit for 48 hours and then I forgot to drill my weep holes before the seal, so i had to let it sit longer.

ubeze4uv.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Awesome thread. I am looking forward to starting a home garden with my 5 year old this year.

We bought some property behind our home for this purpose. I planted about 20 fruit trees in the fall

And cleared out about 1/2 an acre of good Kentucky soil to plant veggies.

It's getting that time again! (here anyway...)

Last Saturday I chopped up the small garden in our yard. It was a little too wet on one side, but it was time to get cole crops in the ground. I plowed it with an all purpose plow and then ran over the dry(er) end that we were going to plant with a smoothing harrow. I helped with layout, then turned it over to the kids. They planted broccoli, cabbage and collards.

Apples and pears will be blooming soon, so it's about time for the first (and most important!) spraying.

Mid to late April it'll be time to plant most of the garden, so I'm probably going to plow the first dry spell we get. My big garden is currently in rye and clover. I've let it get picked down pretty close. If the soil stays damp for a few more weeks, I may get one more grazing out of it.

I'm trying to grow figs from cutting bought off e-bay. 3 weeks in, and they are all showing leaves.

I'll tell y'all, this year I have been eyeballs deep in farming books and if you want to get some intriguing and interest piquing material, buy, rent, or borrow anything from Joel Salatin. His farm is what I am going to try to emulate when I get outta here.

I have my legal medical marijuana license, and discovered a solution to the most evil bug that can plague a "garden", Spider Mites! Ive tried all the expensive stuff from Kalthane (chemical) to safers soap.... None of them will effectively get rid of them, they will ALWAYS return. As none of this stuff will rid the undersides of the leaves of the eggs! NOTHING. Its like the manufacturer's dont want yu to to actually get rid of them 100%, but to control them, so you jhave to keep buying their stuff....

I found a safe, chemical free mixture that will kill them on contact, and will also kill the eggs! So, once they are discovered, all thats needed is to give the plants a thorough spraying EVERY day, making SURE the undersides of the leaves are sprayed THOROUGHLY! As they have a four day cycle (lay eggs, four days later hatch), I found if I sprayed EVERY DAY for 12-14 days (giving a day or two off in the middle), I eradicated them 100%! and once I found they were gone, I'd still spray every once in a while, until the plants were starting to show flowers.... (buds));-) I found out about a year ago I had these pests, which i inherited from a fellow grower, as I got clones from him that were infested....

And this solution I came up with is very cheap, and totally non-toxic.

Here it is! you go out to a health food store and get a couple bottles of "Rosemary oil". And the other ingredient is "Safers Soap". You can get that at any greenhouse. It just helps the rosemary oil stick to the leaves, and the mites..... you don't really "need" it, but it really helps. It turns out that Rosemary Oil is totally toxic to spider mites and their eggs, it kills them on contact, and also kills their eggs! I actually used a high power scope, and observed what happens to the mites when it contacts them, they keel right over and croak! And the eggs appear to slightly dissolve. Perfect! I've never found a commercial solution that would actually rid a garden of them 100% they are all designed to simply control them..... here's the ratio I used.

4 litres water
20 ml. Rosemary oil
50-60 ml safers soap.

Mix well in a garden pump up type sprayer, and go to town on the little bastards! I hope this helps!

BTW, to most guys, big fat girls aint that appealing..... but these BIG FAT girls are a different story!

ELEPHANT Strain 6 weeks in....

14kcmxj.jpg

And BTW guys, this is a 100% LEGAL medical grow.

Ginnz!

Hmmmmm Sativa? :)

Does anybody else use horse power for farming? We still use a draft for alot of farm work, these are pictures of Big John, our Belgian at 17 hands and 2300 lbs.

My dad driving him

DSC_1764_zpsad79033f.jpg

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

This is soo awesome! That's a great looking horse you have sir. Love that you are keeping the old ways alive and sharing them with the kids. We need more folks like you sir. Thanks.

Great horses btw, and I grew up with honey from next door and eggs for 10 cents, would love a place with a garden. Also there is something worse than spidermites (azamax takes care of btw concentrated neem) root aphids. Heard if you get those might as well burn everything. But that was with more domestic plants lol.

for what we've grown here, (plants, and some kitchen herbs) the problem we get sporadically, is GNAT'S. For about 5 years, I had been growing "Crown of Thorns", and many times there would be gnats. We tried pretty much everything there is/was to get rid of them, and they were never completely gone.

So out of frustration and desperation, we shit-canned every single living plant in the house, and stayed clear for about a year and a half. Every once in a while, there is a gnat caught flying through one of the rooms.

Where the hell do these things keep coming from? Where do they hide? I'm well past the point of wanting to fight these bastards with a flame-thrower. My Lady is constantly on me, wanting me to make her an 'herb and veggie' bed in the house here. I'm hesitant to do so, simply because of these bastard gnats. No other insects are a problem (that I'm aware of) and we've only had aphids once. About 7 years ago.

Fwiw, gardening outside isn't really an option due to such a short growing season, high trespass area, even worse 'local cat' problems (actually, idiotic cat-owner problems but that's another story) and everything needs to be done on 'raised beds' due to accident injury ROM issues.

So, the way we see it, indoors (we definitely have the room) is where we can control nearly every aspect of the environment, and have the longest growing time. Or never-ending, depending on how far we go with it. We haven't had any other insect problem except gnats, and they are still an occasional issue.

No, we don't use or plan to need anything "medical".... we're just talking about veggies and herbs, here.

Suggestions?

And, fwiw... regarding the farming with horses, I had a great-uncle who farmed with horses up until about 2004 when he retired. He also had a tractor (no idea what kind/model) but it was one of them old ones with the big steel wheel off the side of the engine. Come thrashing time, the tractor was parked about 30 feet from the thrasher, and a huge-long belt was added, for running the thrasher/widow-maker. Then the men would start pitching the crops into it. But for the standard farming and whatnot, there was almost always a pair of the draft-horses attached to one thing or another, being led around the fields.

Last edited:
I have been having problems with little rabbits eating the tops off my flowers, deer eating all the low hanging plums off my trees. I don't mind all that much as there is enough left over for me that I can share. I planted some sacrificial plants that hopefully the rabbits will like better than my flowers. I don't mind sharing with the animals as they are just trying to get by.

The worst problem is the birds raping my berry vines. I put in about 40 various berry vines, blueberries, strawberries and so on. I finally saw how the birds eat the berries off the sticker laden vines. They walk along under the vines until they see a berry they want. Then they fly up, grab the berry in their beak, and fold their wings and drop to the ground. If the berry is ripe enough the bird ends up with a berry in their beak. It was sort of cool to watch. Last year, I got one damned bowl of berries off the vines. This year should be better though as I have lots more second year vines that will produce.

....Suggestions?

Do you think it's the moisture they're attracted to or the plants themselves? If it could be moisture, may try adding fine stone (like chick grit or even course sand) to the top of the soil and no spraying or misting of the plants.

Unknown, For plants like blueberries or cherry trees that put on all at once you can cover them with bird netting. It's not really practical for things that put on all summer though. You might try hanging some of those 'garden crystals' or go the redneck route and hand foil pie plates around. :) The pie plate work pretty good at spooking crows long enough to get corn up.

15 lbs of seed potatoes, edible pod peas (can't remember which variety), and half of the carrots went in the ground today. I was a little surprised it worked out as we just had a minor snowstorm a couple days ago.

mine went in yesterday. still waitin on the bush beans and okra but all prep is done for those 2 as well. should be here monday. 20 mater plants. 12 squash 2 -90 ft rows corn silverqueen.

best part was me and lil man putr in together from start to finish. great father son stuff right there.

Well, a month later the fig cuttings have broke one way or the other.
4 were simply put in some dirt, and they all grew leaves nicely then 3 of them died. After pulling them apart, only one developed the tiniest of roots and that one just got transferred (left).

2 were in a moist bag and one developed roots nicely, and is now growing well (right). The other never did anything.

Very interesting thread. One post has quasi medicinal herbage and the next a horse earning his keep (how many horses do that anymore). My sister was having spider mite trouble on some spinach. Thanks for the info ginnz.

I have been having problems with little rabbits eating the tops off my flowers, deer eating all the low hanging plums off my trees. I don't mind all that much as there is enough left over for me that I can share. I planted some sacrificial plants that hopefully the rabbits will like better than my flowers. I don't mind sharing with the animals as they are just trying to get by.

The worst problem is the birds raping my berry vines. I put in about 40 various berry vines, blueberries, strawberries and so on. I finally saw how the birds eat the berries off the sticker laden vines. They walk along under the vines until they see a berry they want. Then they fly up, grab the berry in their beak, and fold their wings and drop to the ground. If the berry is ripe enough the bird ends up with a berry in their beak. It was sort of cool to watch. Last year, I got one damned bowl of berries off the vines. This year should be better though as I have lots more second year vines that will produce.

Um, hey bro have you considered shooting the little buggers, this is snipers hide right? I'm thinking a high end pellet gun,
Or a suppressed subsonic 22 course I'd just blast the little bastards with a twelve gauge berries are a serious matter and I wouldn't want to miss!

Unknown, For plants like blueberries or cherry trees that put on all at once you can cover them with bird netting. It's not really practical for things that put on all summer though. You might try hanging some of those 'garden crystals' or go the redneck route and hand foil pie plates around. :) The pie plate work pretty good at spooking crows long enough to get corn up.

I guess with age I got more compassion for the critters that are just trying to make it through this life just like I am. I put bird netting out a few years ago, and felt so awful when I got a Robin caught up in it, that I pulled it up, and never used it again. Funny thing was, that after I set that Robin free, for the rest of that summer, whenever I was working in the garden, or turning over the earth, a Robin would fly near to my work area, and stay about 10-12 feet away the whole time I was working. He would get worms, or I would toss it some from time to time. This went on all summer long. I suspect I may have trained that Robin that me working in the dirt meant an easy lunch.

I don't mind sharing the produce with other critters all that much. I know this is snipershide and all, but I would rather put up with them than kill something that is just trying to survive. Slugs are the only exception to that as we have an unofficial war going on. If the homeowner's association didn't have rules against it, I wouldn't mind having a duck or two to eat the slugs.

Even with the amount of strawberries the birds take a chunk out of, I still have more than we can use. I planted some sacrificial cabbage plants for the little rabbit that I see around the yard some times. The rabbit is only about 8" long, and he LOVES dandelion flowers. When the dandelion blooms turn yellow on the nature reserve property, I see him out there all the time. It drives my terrier crazy having to watch a rabbit run around on land that the terrier thinks he should be guarding.

Last edited:
" I guess with age I got more compassion for the critters that are just trying to make it through this life just like I am. "

I can understand and respect that.

I planted a little Sunday and yesterday. In my bird field I planted (6) ~140' rows of truckers favorite and in the garden (3) ~300' rows of silver king and (3) ~300' rows of golden queen. I usually plant silver queen, but the silver king was 10 days sooner, so thought I'd give it a try. The corn in the bird field is more for hiding in, but I'll eat it too. We're expect about 4" of rain over the next day or two; I hope the rain doesn't beat it out of the ground.

As soon as it dries out I'll get everything except the peas planted. It's still a little early for peas.

we got this in a short period of time last night. corn should be jumpin and the mater plants are about as dark as they could get, any more litter and im purdy shure i would have burned em.

Peas, carrots, and potatoes are up here. The sweet corn, beans, and a few other things planted last week. Should be a good fall.

Patiently waiting for some young red potatoes to boil and butter....

ybysa2u6.jpg
anyneger.jpg

Our small backyard veg garden---5 Tomatoes, 2 hills Cucumbers, couple Basil.
Also our postage stamp front yard with nine rose bushes. The Climber, a Don Juan, is absolutely stunning in full bloom.

Cheers,
Tim
The Right to Keep and Bear Arms Shall NOT be Infringed

Can't shoot fer shi*, but I am a gardening fool! Weather has been kind here in Va this year and I got an early start with caterpillar tunnels and agribon fabric. Lots of nice lettuce, kale and broccoli so far...and no bugs to speak of.
lettuce 010 (Medium).JPGgarden 2014 033 (Medium) - Copy.JPGgarden 2014 010 (Medium).JPG

After the bunny ate the tops off many of my flowers, I planted some sacrificial cabbages (3 varieties), and brussels sprouts. Although the cabbages and sprouts are doing great, it appears either the bunny moved on, or he decided to be lunch for a coyote, fox, eagle, or one of the hawks around here. Occasionally deer come through, and if they find the cabbages and sprouts, I imagine they will eat them.

Last year, the deer got all the plums they could reach from my plum tree. They even stood on the rock work around the tree to reach up higher, and that knocked down some of the wall, but it was easy to re-built. I think it is neat to have all this wildlife around a housing development like this. Living next to the untouchable green space and wetland sanctuary that surrounds the development makes a big difference too.

I've been playing with an aquaponics setup (constant flood) for the past few months. I've grown bibb lettuce, basil, watercress, garlic, and spinach. Mostly lettuce at this point, I harvest a side salad everyday. I just planted dwarf kale and arugula in place of the spinach and part of the basil, hopefully those go well. I just have a 30 gallon tank, so I've stuck to tetra's and sarasa's so far. Hopefully there's a larger setup with tilapia in my near future.

Grow lights off:
20140408_191346.jpg

Grow lights on:
20140408_191331.jpg

Top grow bed (media based), 4 weeks after planting seeds:
10325283_10102075224540349_482093473899262185_n.jpg

well, for what it's worth, we have planted a raised (slightly) plot out at my uncle's farm. Railroad ties, with internal measurements of 9' by 12'. The black loam is a good 10" thick/deep.

We planted corn, spaced 4" apart (linearly and straddled) in 4 rows with 30" between the rows. This was a week ago.

Yesterday, we got called and the corn has sprouted about a dozen plants on each row so far. Yay. When the corn gets to about 4-5" tall, we will be planting a row of climbing beans alongside the south side of each corn row, ~6" over and 6" apart.

Then, after the beans are about 4-5" tall, we will be planting squash in between the rows, probably on 4 plants per row.

Now, this is a first for me/us. According to all the googling I've done, this is what "they're" saying to do. It honestly sounds like way too much for me, in such a small area, but we're looking at this as a scientific experiment. What's the worst that can happen? It doesn't grow?

Forgot to mention, that we are watering the corn every 10 days with 25-0-0 with the measured amount of watermix per foot. Whether it rains or not, the plants will be getting this dose, simply for the Nitrogen values. So, for roughly 300 corn plants, 250ish bean plants, and 12 squash plants in a 108 square foot garden plot...... I don't know but am looking forward to what happens.

Thoughts anyone?

And to top it all off, in the end we are looking at picking and blanching the corn, right on the cob. Then cutting the kernels off, and drying them in the sun on sheets of plywood, for long term storage. This corn is of the "extra-sweet" variety. Beans are "Kentucky Climbing" (or something like that) and the squash are Butternut and Honey-Bear, alternatively planted.

My grandfather planted 1/2 runners once his corn came up. I don't remember how high he let the corn get before planting the beans. Worked well for him.

I'm not sure if blanching will help keep the sweet in your sweet corn. If sweet corn is left on the stalk too long or not processed soon enough after picking, it loses it's sugars and gets starchy. I pick sweet corn and immediately shuck, trim (if needed), silk and blanch on the cob. After it cools, I'll either freeze on the cob or cut off and freeze. You can pressure can or pickle, but one is a pain and the other I just don't care for. The only corn I've dried was field or dent corn and the drying is done on the stalk. This corn is used as feed (shelled or ground w/ the cob) or made into cornmeal.

well, for what it's worth, we have planted a raised (slightly) plot out at my uncle's farm. Railroad ties, with internal measurements of 9' by 12'. The black loam is a good 10" thick/deep.

We planted corn, spaced 4" apart (linearly and straddled) in 4 rows with 30" between the rows. This was a week ago.

Yesterday, we got called and the corn has sprouted about a dozen plants on each row so far. Yay. When the corn gets to about 4-5" tall, we will be planting a row of climbing beans alongside the south side of each corn row, ~6" over and 6" apart.

Then, after the beans are about 4-5" tall, we will be planting squash in between the rows, probably on 4 plants per row.

Now, this is a first for me/us. According to all the googling I've done, this is what "they're" saying to do. It honestly sounds like way too much for me, in such a small area, but we're looking at this as a scientific experiment. What's the worst that can happen? It doesn't grow?

Forgot to mention, that we are watering the corn every 10 days with 25-0-0 with the measured amount of watermix per foot. Whether it rains or not, the plants will be getting this dose, simply for the Nitrogen values. So, for roughly 300 corn plants, 250ish bean plants, and 12 squash plants in a 108 square foot garden plot...... I don't know but am looking forward to what happens.

Thoughts anyone?

And to top it all off, in the end we are looking at picking and blanching the corn, right on the cob. Then cutting the kernels off, and drying them in the sun on sheets of plywood, for long term storage. This corn is of the "extra-sweet" variety. Beans are "Kentucky Climbing" (or something like that) and the squash are Butternut and Honey-Bear, alternatively planted.

Never did the squash with the corn and beans, but we used to do the beans with corn every year---years ago. They call it companion cropping, and it works well. The beans actually feed the corn, as beans are a legume and help provide nitrogen for the soil, and corn is a heavy feeder. No reason not to apply the fertilizer also, though. We fertilize our small garden to maximize the yield.

Looking forward to a report as the season continues....

Our first attempt at a garden (with pest deterrent system). So far, so good.

Update - July 8th; anyone else still waiting on tomatoes? :)

Last edited:
Looks great. I can only dream of raised beds such as that, one day. And the cat disposal system that you have there, looks like it should have back-up. So that it never gets bored, you see.

But yeah, as I can't bend worth crap, those types of raised beds is what I'm wanting. Hugely. We're working on a plan, here.

[MENTION=74999]TRD1911[/MENTION]
I agree with Sean, that poor cat disposal does need a partner (in-crime). That is one fantastic set up. I have very high hopes for your success this year from that garden. It takes vegetable gardening to a new level, that of being a landscape feature, and a beautiful one at that.

Thanks guys.

Lessons learned thus far - You don't have to use the ENTIRE package of seeds; I'm going to have to thing out the sprouts and hope they retake in some pots
The peat moss containers that pepper plants grow in do not degrade fast enough to avoid the roots from becoming "pot bound"; had to pull them up and remove them.
If your soil has a high manure content then your dog will likely eat clumps of it while you are at work.

Update: We went out yesterday, weeded, and planted the beens. Both pole and (something else, can't remember). The beans are ~5" to the right of the corn.
6-12-14 Left View.jpg

And here is the 'front' view, which is also looking almost due North:
6-12-14 Front View.jpg
That second shot also shows the corn spacing better. In a few weeks, when the beans are up about 5ish inches, then we'll be planting the squash.

Sean, I wish my dirt looked like that! All Redland here with just what little topsoil was accumulated between the end of cotton being king and when I cleared it. I think I'll get a load of chicken litter spread on this fall.

The pickin has begun! The kids picked a couple bags of green beans yesterday evening. :)

Very dry here. Sweet corn is in roastin ear, but not full. I'm trying to time it as best I can to get them to fill in, but not go starchy. Beans are producing great, more than I can handle so I'm having folks come pick what they want (a buddy canned 18 qts the other night). Hot and dry, so they're not blooming like they were. Peas are doing great; will likely start picking in a week or two. Everything else is doing pretty good, but needs water. I've had to water some plants like mators.

I learned something the other day, malathion and plastic cups don't mix. I couldn't find a small chem measure, so I got a clear plastic cup and measured 6 teaspoons (kitchen measure) of water in it, marked it w/ a sharpie and used that to measure malathion for a sprayer. It ate through the plastic cups. Mean stuff! If you haven't used it before, check it out. It's a serious insecticide, but follow the instructions exactly and it's very safe (IMO). MOST harvest delays for veggies are 1 to 3 days.

Not really gardening, but blackberries are getting ripe. The kids picked a gallon last week, so I made a cobbler. :)

My berry patch took off this year, to the point that I can't pick and eat enough of 'em. I find it amusing that the birds like them so much as it is easy to see the triangular beak bites off the berries the birds get easy access to. Any with a beak bite just get tossed on the ground for the birds to eat. I still have more than my wife and I can eat. I'm actually getting full of cobbler, crisp, pies, and now we are onto turning the berries into a juice/syrup we can freeze to put on things like Creme Brule in the winter, and ice cream in the summer.

My crop has rasp, boysen, marion, logan, black, and various "heirloom" breeds of those when I can find 'em. I plant the berries with some in their own rows, other rows alternate various berries. I really don't separate them out all that much as they all go in the same pie eventually. I do pick and retain straw berries and blue berries in different containers though. There are plenty of wild black berries in the nature reserve next to my place, so I didn't see any reason for me to plant anything so prolific (noxious) as black berries around my garden.

This year, there are little cotton tail rabbits that have taken up residence in my back yard. They don't bother the garden even though I planted some items just for them in the garden. They seem to prefer the clover that grows wild in the nature reserve area, and cruise my yard to see if there is any thing interesting. I guess they haven't ranged into my crop of snap peas, or sugar peas yet....

That might work if I had any kids around to do it. Just the wife and I these days...and a few cats

going for broke next year and thinking about doing some bee keeping

If you are local to me Ill buy some of your honey once you start producing.

We have raised beds kind of scattered around, then a 2 acre garden at my parents farm 5 miles away. Also on our place we have a 10 acre pear orchard that also has a few cherry trees. My middle daughter is slightly Autistic, just enough where it impedes social skills and causes her discomfort to be around people. Gardening and farming are extremely therapeutic for her though, so she asks for a new animal every year for he birthday. This year it was chickens. Here is the chicken coop she helped me build, and her garden. She takes care of it all, pretty much by herself, at 5 years old. My dad owns a sawmill, so all the cedar you see shows up for free...works out great for me! The coop has solar lights so she can go out in the dark and care for the birds.

o0Sko7A.jpg

vE0GrL3.jpg

SYdHudo.jpg

YeLuHRy.jpg

f7udRHx.jpg

Sd9LGs5.jpg

Reactions: riverside jeep