• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How Accurate is your Kestrel Applied Ballistics?

TexasMade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2013
Lubbock, TX
How accurate is your kestrel applied ballistics? That goes for time and time again use. I got mine where its about accurate to about the .2 mil. It is set up 100% correct. I wish I could get it dead on. Is there something some of you guys had to adjust to make your dope perfect even if you know that its not accurate. For example..knowing your bore height is 1.8 but adjusting it to 2.5 to make it accurate. For some reason it says I need to dial -1.5 for 100 yards? Can someone please help me out

At least in the "Shooter" App, I had a similar issue of being low per the chart at 100 even with a 100 yard zero. Figured out it was "Zero Height" and "Zero offset" under the ammo profile. Should be at "0" and then your 100 yard zero should be dead on in the app. Don't have the AB Kestrel but software is written by some of the same people and Bryan Litz worked on both obviously. Hope that helps.

If it says you need to dial down 1.5 mils at 100 yards you aren't zero'd at 100 yards and it isn't set up '100% correct'

The problem is probably in your profile, under gun properties like Verdugo said, zero height and offset should be set to "0" and sight height is your height over bore, you need to make sure you have an accurate measurement on that because it will goof you down range if its incorrect. Is that the sole reason you are asking about accuracy problems? Mine has been spot on out to around 1150yds...

I can take screen shots of the setup if you need it but it sounds like we already have a basic settings problem. If you are zero'd at 100yds and it is telling you to dial down, here is what I think you may have done. Open the profile loader and profile, mine defaults to metric units. Make sure you didn't set your zero range to 100 METERS or some other oops having to do with the units. If you are using mils make sure that is the output unit, not MOA or clicks, and make sure the input is english for yards and inches.

I found out my problem. I had a stout wind programed into it. I told it 0mph and problem went away. Sensitive little gadget but very nifty.

Dead nuts on out to a 1,000 yards for my gap 10 .308. Just remember to make sure all your inputs are correct.

There is a phenomenon called aerodynamic jump, if you have a huge windage built in it will affect the vertical trajectory of the bullet.

I just plug in 5 and 10mph full value winds and do the rest of the wind call on my own

Using the custom curves, my .338 300gr berger hybrid dope was spot on at 1780yds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does Litz have custom curves available for 6.5 140 hybrid? If so Its not in my kestrel like the big 30 cals and 338s