• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing How are barrels marked by custom small shops?

hwgunner

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2014
I am wondering how the small shops mark their barrels. I have seen etching before but that is not what I am looking for. I saw a logo on a barrel on a SAC gun that has a pretty deep relief to it and that is what I want. I am building a custom gun for myself and just want to do something a little different and make it personal. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I know that some use a laser to engrave, and some like RWS use a chemical etching system.

uploadfromtaptalk1402797629669.jpg
This is sorta what I am looking for. I want something that will show through after I cerakote it black or od.

I had a friend do a barrel for me. he asked if I wanted it "engraved" I said yep if I ever sell it, the chambering needs to be seen
he had a local shop do the cnc work. he did the chamber, fitting etc, marked the spot and pull the barrel and took it over to be marked.
he charged me 50$ no problem for me. If I don't get to shoot out the throat....I am working on it:D the next guy will know the chambering.
Idahoorion

I am a small shop, and etch with an acid etch.

Personalizer Plus and stencils from Lectrotech.

Last edited:
I have a New Hermes pantograph. I actually just got it set and and operational to engrave barrels and dies with it. It uses a 130 degree diamond drag to engrave with. Does a pretty nice job.

SAC uses electro chemical etching like most everyone else. Here is mine done with home made etching unit and stencils from Lectro Etch

une9uzu2.jpg

2a3e7ene.jpg

Sent from my GS5 on Tapatalk

I have less than $50 in the machine, search for diy etching machine, it's on a knife makers site. Stencils are more than the machine, around $70 for 8.5x11 sheet with the initial art charge. Then electrolyte and cleaner, figure around $120 for initial order from Lectro etch if your not getting a ton of stencils.

Sent from my GS5 on Tapatalk

NSO123 is right, They use laser engraving. Its pretty reasonably priced, our master gunsmiths son has his own company doing this in Connecticut but does not have an FFL so you cant ship it to him if its a receiver. You can do some really impressive designs with the laser. The same people who to the laser work also normally do etching which is done with a small single carbide cutter.

Hope this Helps!

I am wondering how the small shops mark their barrels. I have seen etching before but that is not what I am looking for. I saw a logo on a barrel on a SAC gun that has a pretty deep relief to it and that is what I want. I am building a custom gun for myself and just want to do something a little different and make it personal. Any help is appreciated.

We are able to offer a full range of engraving options using 4 axis cnc mills combined with state of the art software. The only challenge we face at times is the detail limitations due to the size of the artwork when scaled down to fit on a barrel cylinder, action, etc.

This is the true answer for one off type jobs as it delivers the depth most want with the flexibility, reduction in turn around time, and presentation levels folks are after.

Happy to help.

C.

DSC_0176-1.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0038-1.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

Looks like something even I could do! Do you then just order a stencil in every popular caliber?

Pretty much yep. They will lay them out on a sheet, then you just cut them out individually. If you go through Lectro Etch, just tell them what you are doing, they know all about it and can tell you the best height for the caliber lettering.

Some high tech fancy stuff here.

Here is my simple, no frills marking system. I use a 130 degree diamond drag. I can do barrels, dies, stubs and anything flat that fits in the compound vise. The barrel pictured below is a scrap barrel that I used to practice on. Take a little coordination to get it perfect, but not hard at all.

IMAG1892-picsay.jpg

IMAG1894-picsay.jpg

Thanks guys for all the sugestions.