• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How bad did I F*** up?

MoHobbyPlinker

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2023
United States
I will start with I am not a hunter but love to shoot. My family has some property that my brother hunts every year. My wife and I decided we wanted to shoot our pistols today (opening day weekend for rifle hunting deer). We went about 3:30 pm shooting in a valley where we has year round tragets and he was hunting 3 ridges over, about .5 miles as the crow flies.

Just how inconsiderate was this from a hunters perspective?

You could hear others out shooting all around so it wasn't like we were the only ones making noise. I figured if anything our shots would scare any deer towards my brother. I think the worst part is he and I discussed me target shooting this weekend on Thursday and how it could piss some people off. I even said I try not to shoot at the property during deer season just to be respectful but I figured the day was almost over (gets dark around 5 this time of year), we weren't near him, and we weren't shooting big rifles, just 9mm and .40

They don't care. I have to stop shooting on my home range to chase them out of the way.

I shoot at k&m too. They flood the range with bullets flying over their heads.

If it's an area with normal gunfire, it bothers them about as much as a 747 flying 30,000 ft overhead

Half mile away as a crow flies? No issue.

The more deer are around it, the less it bothers them. So it isn't exactly the same everywhere.

I've had them walk out 100 yards away as I was shooting from my shop. That being said, old big bucks will tend to avoid areas with gunfire so I shut down my shooting from 1 September until after rifle season (end of 1st week of Dec). This is because my stands are about 300 yards from my range.

Just this evening I shot over 7 deer bedded down. They were in a draw and the target and I were on opposite sides of the draw. Nothing, they looked around and stayed put.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
Shoot in the middle of the day if you care. If you're out there regularly they won't care at all.

I only look for deer in the morning and evening. Rarely will I see one moving in the middle of the day. We generally shoot deer right away in the morning, pheasant hunt in the mid day, and go back to deer in the evening.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Wait....someone's hunting "privilege" supersedes my land owner RIGHTS?? OH..PLUS...add on my RIGHTS as a owner of fire arms??

Is your brother mad about it?

If not, don’t worry.

If he is, apologize.
Yeah. He has been pissy his whole life so I don't usually think twice about it but this time he texted while out in his blind thay he hopes another hunter near by shoots at me for disrupting the area with gun fire.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Wait....someone's hunting "privilege" supersedes my land owner RIGHTS?? OH..PLUS...add on my RIGHTS as a owner of fire arms??
Lol technically we have equal right to the property since our parents own it. We were on opposite ends of 86 acres.

Half mile away as a crow flies? No issue.

The more deer are around it, the less it bothers them. So it isn't exactly the same everywhere.

I've had them walk out 100 yards away as I was shooting from my shop. That being said, old big bucks will tend to avoid areas with gunfire so I shut down my shooting from 1 September until after rifle season (end of 1st week of Dec). This is because my stands are about 300 yards from my range.
Yeah there is a group of 10-12 deer that walk through the property (close to where he hunts), away opposite 500-600 yds away from where I was shooting. Theses deer don't give a shit. They just stare at you as you drive past them. We have seen them as we talk through the woods as well. They usually run 40-50 ft further away and stop again.

Yeah. He has been pissy his whole life so I don't usually think twice about it but this time he texted while out in his blind thay he hopes another hunter near by shoots at me for disrupting the area with gun fire.

Lol technically we have equal right to the property since our parents own it. We were on opposite ends of 86 acres.

Yeah there is a group of 10-12 deer that walk through the property (close to where he hunts), away opposite 500-600 yds away from where I was shooting. Theses deer don't give a shit. They just stare at you as you drive past them. We have seen them as we talk through the woods as well. They usually run 40-50 ft further away and stop again.
Also he has his own 13 acres 20 min away he could hunt but doesn't

Meh. He didn't get anything and wants to blame someone. I would have probably avoided shooting on opening day though.
And I would have probably gone out mid day and not dusk/dawn since that's usually he best hunting

Reactions: Jgunner and Bcamos
Extremely inconsiderate. I agree with they above post. In some states this could be considered Hunter harassment and could be ticketed by the game warden.

Reactions: MoHobbyPlinker
Personally I don't care. If you are hunting in the area where I live, and shoot for fun the deer are so use to the sound of gun fire they really don't care.

I have two stories, it is monday lets go for the long one.....lucky you.

We had just moved out to the "country". The wife (I) planted BUNCHES of tulips all around the house. Know what love tulips, deer. I lost them by the driveway and walkway pretty quickly. Then they started coming right up to the house. At first they would run off. They would come back quicker and quicker, like after I close the door they would start to come back. I grab some ice cubes and start to chuck them at the deer. When I hit one they would run off and stay gone for a while, but if I checked in a few hours back they would be.

Next red rider, It does not take long for them to learn red ryder range, and even if I mortar the BB in they don't move, I can see the skin shake like they are getting a fly off or something, thinking I hit them. They don't move. NOW I AM PISSED.

Out with a hand gun, BANG BANG into the dirt, it was about three days that they would stop at Red Ryder range, shoot again and they would just look at me as if to say, you can't shoot for shit can you, you fat old white boy.

I can't tell you how close I came to just shooting one, but the legal issues a neighbor had for doing that made it not worth it.

In the end I planted Daffodils.

Personally I don't care. If you are hunting in the area where I live, and shoot for fun the deer are so use to the sound of gun fire they really don't care.

We had just moved out to the "country". The wife (I) planted BUNCHES of tulips all around the house. Know what love tulips, deer. I lost them by the driveway and walkway pretty quickly. Then they started coming right up to the house. At first they would run off. They would come back quicker and quicker, like after I close the door they would start to come back. I grab some ice cubes and start to chuck them at the deer. When I hit one they would run off and stay gone for a while, but if I checked in a few hours back they would be.

Next red rider, It does not take long for them to learn red ryder range, and even if I mortar the BB in they don't move, I can see the skin shake like they are getting a fly off or something, thinking I hit them. They don't move. NOW I AM PISSED.

Out with a hand gun, BANG BANG into the dirt, it was about three days that they would stop at Red Ryder range, shoot again and they would just look at me as if to say, you can't shoot for shit can you, you fat old white boy.

I can't tell you how close I came to just shooting one, but the legal issues a neighbor had for doing that made it not worth it.

Call your local DNR or Game And Fish Dept and ask what you can do.

Here, if an animal is, or is about to do damage, lethal responses are legal.

Shot registered skeet for many years and I’ve seen deer stand on the fields and look at you as we are shooting…and even if we put a few into the dirt near them to get ‘em out of the way.

But this was at a club where the deer are used to daily shotgun reports and so they are acclimated.

My friend’s deer camp…no way we are shooting except at a deer. Dropped a close in doe in a large field with other deer 200-225 yds away. They all took off like scalded rabbits.

Just depends on what they are used to.

Shot registered skeet for many years and I’ve seen deer stand on the fields and look at you as we are shooting…and even if we put a few into the dirt near them to get ‘em out of the way.

But this was at a club where the deer are used to daily shotgun reports and so they are acclimated.

My friend’s deer camp…no way we are shooting except at a deer. Dropped a close in doe in a large field with other deer 200-225 yds away. They all took off like scalded rabbits.

Just depends on what they are used to.

We have had turkey and deer on the berm of the 200 and 100 yard ranges. Had to stop a competition and send someone down with a side x side to shoo them away.

Think about that for a sec, a line of 30 guys shooting and the deer wonder up and stand ontop of the berm. They sounded the horn and hit the lights that say someone is down range, I never saw them till I quit shooting. Why did we stop, I go to look and you have to be kidding me.

Reactions: Baron23
Call your local DNR or Game And Fish Dept and ask what you can do.

Here, if an animal is, or is about to do damage, lethal responses are legal.

Here damage, real money causing damage. I have half a dozen peach and apple trees, I don't get any apples or peaches. As I don't make money from them I can't shoot them.

I don't know much past that. I just gave up like with the tulips.

At my range we have a posted protocol for when deer wander onto the shooting lanes.

They don’t care.

P

A couple dogs will stop the deer from eating your plants in the yard.

As for the op, reading the responses, I think it depends on where you are at and the situation. In my neighborhood EHD took half the deer two years ago, and the bad winter took half of those that lived in 22- 23. If someone started shooting next to me it would be very inconsiderate, a real dick move. Our deer don't stand around and ignore it like suburban deer.

I also take property rights seriously. Someone here said deer season is 2 weeks and fun shooting is 52 weeks. He is right, don't be an asshole...

I have to regularly stop shooting for a few minutes and let them walk across my range so I can see the targets again. Here, deer season is over 3 months long and I shoot 2-3x/wk so not shooting during deer season is not an option. I quit deer hunting a long time ago, so I let some neighbors hunt my property. They regularly make kills WHILE I am shooting on the range. The only hindrance to them is that a couple of their stands are off-limits when I'm shooting, but they have plenty of others they can hunt on the property that aren't in the danger zone. Usually, I will try to stay off the range the last week when they're pushing hard during the rut. But that's so they can hunt any stand they want including the ones downrange, not because it disturbs the deer.

It sounds like you and your brother need to sit down and have an honest talk about a solution that's fair to both and come to an agreement on use/times, etc. It's pretty simple.

Seems to me you need to talk to your brother like an adult .

Calling him "pissy" speaks volumes . :rolleyes:

Seems to me you need to talk to your brother like an adult .

Calling him "pissy" speaks volumes . :rolleyes:
His bad attitude has been a running joke in our family for the last 35 years. We even warned his future wife about what she was getting into. He is notorious for him saying "I am willing to cut off my own hand or nose if it means you lose your arm or face" He is the type that wants to world to burn if it's not working to benefit him. He acknowledges this aspect of himself and is proud of it.

His bad attitude has been a running joke in our family for the last 35 years. We even warned his future wife about what she was getting into. He is notorious for him saying "I am willing to cut off my own hand or nose if it means you lose your arm or face" He is the type that wants to world to burn if it's not working to benefit him.
You should fight him.

Extremely inconsiderate. I agree with they above post. In some states this could be considered Hunter harassment and could be ticketed by the game warden.

This just shows what a bunch of pissy fudds can accomplish.

Of course, I choose to live in a place where "sound shots" during a 2 week season don't happen. Some places in the Midwest you'd never find me in the woods during deer season.

Reactions: Bcamos
His bad attitude has been a running joke in our family for the last 35 years. We even warned his future wife about what she was getting into. He is notorious for him saying "I am willing to cut off my own hand or nose if it means you lose your arm or face" He is the type that wants to world to burn if it's not working to benefit him. He acknowledges this aspect of himself and is proud of it.
If this is indeed the case, I say "fuck him." I'd ONLY shoot when he was hunting.

My younger son is a bit like this. He will start a fight with his older brother, then come and complain to my wife and I when he doesn't get his way. If he can shut down whatever his brother is doing, he's fine if whatever he is doing is shut down as well.

It used to be, "work it out between you two, because I'm shutting you both down if it comes to me." Now it is "whichever whiny bitch comes to me for a solution gets grounded..."

You should fight your brother.
It's not out of the question lol, and wouldnt be the first time this year that we have almost come to blows.

Really? That is truly interesting, I didn't know that.
Think about this. You can shoot 52 weeks a year. Deer gun is what 2-3 weeks long? Maybe give the guy the 2-3 weeks to be left alone. Opening day too. Kinda inconsiderate. Probably didn’t affect hunting but would probably rub me the wrong way if my brother was doing that.
This is usually my thought process also but completely forgot he was going to shoot Sunday evening until i was out on the range. I remembered he was out hunting right before we started shooting. I called the house to check to see if he was hunting and where at on the property. They confirmed he was on the opposite end of the property from where we would be shooting. At that point i put my wife's interests in front of my brother's and figured it shouldn't be a big deal.

Reactions: Bcamos
No. They are both landowners of the property. Either one can do whatever they want. Getting ticketed for "harassing" hunters on YOUR OWN property? :ROFLMAO:
It's a family dispute.

If this is indeed the case, I say "fuck him." I'd ONLY shoot when he was hunting.

My younger son is a bit like this. He will start a fight with his older brother, then come and complain to my wife and I when he doesn't get his way. If he can shut down whatever his brother is doing, he's fine if whatever he is doing is shut down as well.

It used to be, "work it out between you two, because I'm shutting you both down if it comes to me." Now it is "whichever whiny bitch comes to me for a solution gets grounded..."
I'm gonna have to implement this soon.

Multiple days both here in North Louisiana and at Northwest Florida, have to stop shooting because deer and/or turkeys have ambled out into the range, in front of the targets.

Most savvy hunters say that after shooting a doe (which is now legal in many places, sit still for a while because often a buck will soon follow and in Louisiana, you can shoot him too. (Legal, one antlered, one antlerless deer per day). (Of course, me, when I know I have made a good shot, one per day is enough.)

Its not like you walked in front of his stand, or worse, rode your four wheeler right by the stand both of which has happened to me while hunting. One night I was spying a couple of doe within shooting range, when another hunter pulls his truck up within 50 yards of the stand and gets out talking with his son. Needless to say, no deer in the bag that night.

Many times I have to wait for deer to cross my range lanes in between shots. Our rifle season is Oct 14 to Jan 1......so maybe I can't relate. Either way always family and I expect he'd say the same :) Somebody is shooting something within hearing range at least 3 days a week here.

I thought of this thread yesterday. I was sitting watching a right of way through the woods when three does crossed the 30 yard opening in the blink of an eye. They were running full throttle, if I'd have looked down for just a second I would have missed it. Across the road, up on the other hill side, some new folks bought the property. They're not "city folks", but they are suburb folks. I know they shot at least three deer last Saturday. I guess they figure since THEY were done hunting for the year, fuck the neighbors and anyone hunting in the state land that adjoins their property. They were just banging away, a couple mag dumps in the mix. That's what was going on when the does went by in hyper drive. I've run into several people who say what others on here do, that the deer don't care. But that hasn't been my observation.

The range I worked at, the deer would feed five feet in front of the benches while 50 guys were shooting rifles just yards away. Where I work now you can walk past the deer ten yards away and not have them even look up. That doesn't mean that's normal and all deer behave that way.