• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship How bad is this?

GB213

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Maryland
I am left eye dominant, but shoot right handed. Just started off that way many years ago. I saw a video where lowlight was making fun of himself for squinting, and this got me thinking that if I was shooting with my left eye I could keep both open. Not the case now.

Re: How bad is this?

I am also left eye dominant and shoot right eyed. I have no problem keeping both eyes open when shooting and can also shoot left or right handed. It just took alot of practice to get it right so I could shoot right handed correctly. Holding a rifle left handed still feels goofy to me though.

I have a very similar but opposite quirk. I'm right eye dominant but shoot rifles left handed. For pistols, my strong side is right handed. So, your not alone on this one brother!

Kevin

LWiliams, can you just hop down, get into position with both eyes open, or do you need to slowly relax your left one so the right one takes over?

6BX Dude, why did you start shooting left handed?

I'm cross eye dominant as well. When I shoot handguns I turn my head ever so slightly so I can see down the sights with my left eye. When I shoot rifles I shoot with both eyes open if it's no magnification such as an EOTech. With a magnified shot (precision stuff) I shoot with just my right eye even though my left eye is dominant. The left eye is closed at this time.

Weird but it works and you will find what works for you too.

I'm also left eye dominant. I shoot right hand dominant but can shoot with either arm with either eye. It come in handy from time to time. I can also shoot with both eyes open, or one eye open. If I shoot with my right eye I can half assed look down range with my left eye. It's all messed up. I've talked with my optomitrist about it a little bit because I can actually move my left eye independently of my right eye. Damn it sounds worse than it is, i sound like my family tree is as straight as a phone pole at this point.
wink.gif
And no i don't have a lazy eye or cross eyed.

xdeano

Shooting rifles felt more natural shooting them left handed. My right hand has always been for strength and my left hand for finesse. I write left handed and throw right handed. Funny thing, I started little league as a left hander and by the end of the first season I was pitching right handed. One of the quirks of being ambidextrous I guess.

When people start shooting, eye dominance is probably not even a vague perception on their part, unless their teacher is aware of the issue.

They need to train the eye, dominant or not, how to perceive a useful sight picture. Sometimes this training is applied to the non-dominant eye, and very often it works quite well enough.

Assuming no eye abnormalities, IMHO, there is no <span style="font-style: italic">physical</span> reason why eye dominance should need to dictate shooting positions or whether or not either eye is good or bad for use as part of the sight lineup. IMHO, it's a matter of nurture vs nature. I think that either and/or both eyes can be trained to work in a satisfactory manner.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When people start shooting, eye dominance is probably not even a vague perception on their part, unless their teacher is aware of the issue.

They need to train the eye, dominant or not, how to perceive a useful sight picture. Sometimes this training is applied to the non-dominant eye, and very often it works quite well enough.

Assuming no eye abnormalities, IMHO, there is no <span style="font-style: italic">physical</span> reason why eye dominance should need to dictate shooting positions or whether or not either eye is good or bad for use as part of the sight lineup. IMHO, it's a matter of nurture vs nature. I think that either and/or both eyes can be trained to work in a satisfactory manner.

Greg </div></div>

I agree. I am Left eye dominant and right handed, but just like any muscle, you have to train using both eyes' muscles to maintain muscle memory. A great point to remember is to train where both side are a mirror image of one another, no matter if it is shooting, throwing a football, or swinging a hammer. That way you don't confuse your brain and muscle memory. "CONDITIONING" is the correct terminology I believe. Just my $.02. I don't claim to be an expert though.

I have no problem just laying down and seeing through my right eye right away. I always shot right eyed and about fourteen years ago or so I became a surveyor and looking through the transit I realized I was left eye dominate. I shoot trap alot also and have no problem with that. The only real thing that this cross domination has affected is shooting a bow instinctive. I am getting alot better but it was hell at first the arrow would never go where I was looking or where I wanted it to. I have gotten alot better and when shooting carp I fair right up there with the better of my friends.

It's a really good idea to learn to shoot either side with both eyes open. I am right-eye dominant but naturally left-handed. I grew up shooting rifles left-handed and pistols right-handed.

A decade or so ago, I decided to shoot rifles right-handed. Now I can shoot either side with about equal facility with a rifle, and I worked hard to be good with a pistol left-handed.

Being able to shoot either side well is a worthwhile advantage - and most of the work can be done dry-firing, so it just takes time and effort.

The conversation isn't about if you can shoot strong hand or weak hand it's about cross eye dominance. Not knowing which eye is dominant will cause you to miss your target if you look down a handgun w/o knowing which is which. You can shoot a nice group but they will all be right or left of target depending on which it is.

That's interesting. I never had that happen to me. But...; I don't think it means anything significant, other than that some things work for some people, and not for others.

When I shot my 22 H/G with the dot, I'd look at the target with both eyes, bring the dot up to the target and fire. Looking back, to tell the truth, I probably couldn't tell you which eye I was 'using'.

Also interesting, the concept of the eye as a muscle. While yes, it is; it's more as well. The retina and optic nerve are considered to be an actual region of the brain itself, or at least an extension. It may be a reminder to many of us, but the brain is the only part of the body which can be taught, everything else follows its lead. Unlike the rest of the brain, the optic input goes to the same side of the brain. If one studies the process of stroke rehabilitation, the true ability of the brain to train and reprioritize becomes more evident.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The conversation isn't about if you can shoot strong hand or weak hand it's about cross eye dominance. Not knowing which eye is dominant will cause you to miss your target if you look down a handgun w/o knowing which is which. You can shoot a nice group but they will all be right or left of target depending on which it is.</div></div>

I'm afraid that turns out not to be the case.

In the case of a rifle, the eye you are using to sight with will be a function of which side you are shooting on.

In the case of a handgun, it doesn't matter which eye you are using to see the sights.

If the sights are lined up on the target, the bullet will hit the target.

Larry Vickers is cross-dominant, i.e., he's using the eye on the other side from which he is holding the handgun to see the sights. That hasn't stopped him from winning national championships in action pistol competition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The conversation isn't about if you can shoot strong hand or weak hand it's about cross eye dominance. <span style="font-weight: bold">Not knowing which eye is dominant will cause you to miss your target</span> if you look down a handgun w/o knowing which is which. You can shoot a nice group but they will all be right or left of target depending on which it is.</div></div>

I'm afraid that turns out not to be the case.

In the case of a rifle, the eye you are using to sight with will be a function of which side you are shooting on.

In the case of a handgun, it doesn't matter which eye you are using to see the sights.

If the sights are lined up on the target, the bullet will hit the target.

Larry Vickers is cross-dominant, i.e., he's using the eye on the other side from which he is holding the handgun to see the sights. That hasn't stopped him from winning national championships in action pistol competition.

</div></div>

Please read what I'm actually typing before you say I'm wrong. Pretty sure Larry Vickers KNOWS he's cross-eye dominant so that does nothing to disprove what I've said. Like I said, as long as you know you can correct and shoot just fine with either hand. If you don't know you will miss. When I first started shooting handguns my groups were good but they were ALL left of target. My instructor asked me what eye was my dominant one to which I shrugged my shoulders as I had never had a need in life prior to know which was my dominant eye. We did a quick and simple test with my hands and what do you know, cross eye dominant. I shifted the way I look down handgun sights and ALL of my groups were on center. Doesn't matter if I shoot right handed or left handed either with or w/o a support hand they are all grouped on center now that I know. Please read what people are actually typing before you say they are wrong.

I read what you said.

What I said was that if the sights are lined up on the target, the bullet will hit the target.

That was true long before people knew what eye dominance is, and is still true. It doesn't matter which eye you are using, or whether you know what your dominant eye is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read what you said.

What I said was that if the sights are lined up on the target, the bullet will hit the target.

That was true long before people knew what eye dominance is, and is still true. It doesn't matter which eye you are using, or whether you know what your dominant eye is.
</div></div>

I see you know everything about shooting w/cross-eye dominance so I will just bow out of this thread. I guess having dealt with it first hand means nothing around here and your post count is all that matters. I'll just go back to helping people in person where actions speak louder than join date.

I have a very bad right eye so shot left handed since I was a kid. I only own left-handed rifles not days. It's very hard for me to shot weak side but working on it.

I have to agree with Lindy on the handgun. Never had a problem as long as my sights line up. I don't see how cross-eye dominance could change a group... If the sights line up they line up simple as that... Note I shoot pistol right handed with both eyes open.

Jer,

I know Lindy doesn't need anyone to defend him but I Just thought you should know that he is more than just a post count. For future reference take heed to his posts, he knows what he's talking about. Thanks for listening and may I direct you to this thread, scroll down to Lindy's post

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...512#Post1817512

I have been told by the authorities on the matter that shooting a rifle from the shoulder of the dominant eye is best. As I understand it, the dominate eye is hard wired for image, while the other eye is hard wired for light gathering/puerperal vision. I've gotta tell ya, I just don't know; however, now that I'm loosing vision in my dominant eye, I may end up knowing more about this stuff than I'm looking to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As you wish. If you read my first post in this thread, though, you'll notice that I used to shoot cross-dominance. Bye.
</div></div>

Yes, but what your brain does is not necessarily what others' do. My brother was shooting to the side all the time. He's a physically blessed guy, I mean sickly so. He can do almost everything nearly or exactly as well with each side from bowling 200+ with either hand to having scouts watching him bat both ways (which requres eye-switching). He was looking out the wrong eye with both open. Once he knew this, he fixed it. For him, switching eyes is fast. Just like some of us can switch brain hemispheres while others can only use both or dominantly either without any choice in the matter, some people can switch eyes. You sound like like you also fall into the ambioptical camp.

You either fixed it automatically, or don't remember when you fixed it consciously. It is a very real issue though, for some people, with both eyes open.

I'm left eye dominant, and with reflex sights I shoot left-eyed, right handed. It takes way too much effort for me to target with my right eye correctly. Sometimes I'll use a scope with my left eye too, if the head geometry works. Obviously too twisted makes for bad vision, but on a high scope it works better than my right eye. Should I learn to shoot lefty with a rifle? If I were a competitor, hell yeah. Parts availabilty and pricing makes that unattractive to me as a hobbyist, and brass ejecting into my face with leaded gas just doesn't float my boat either.

I'm also left eye dominant and shoot from my right and for scopes and rifles i've trained myself to use both eyes open however at first i was unable to get the right eye pic into the brain (for instance if i looked trough the scope i'd see left eye Mk.1 picture) with practicing i am now able to "switch" left and right pic, if i "focus my brain" on left eye i see big picture and if i focus on right eye i see scope pic (it's not on/off as there is overlapping and transition to it - hard to put in words but i guess those who have same "defect" know about it).
With handguns its not so simple. With both eyes open (lets assume no training as when you train your non dominant eye it starts to take over - something i used to think is impossible as i've read eye dominance is genetic and unchangeable) i see two pictures of the handgun nose/sight, with one being dead on and other slightly to the left and above (right eye). So with me practicing i am still seeing two pics however now instead of pointing left and up its pointing right and low (left eye pic)*.

*Assuming i hold the weapon steady in proper stance (as i move handgun left or right the corresponding eye image is "picked up as primary" by the brain

I am cross dominant also(left eye, right hand) and shoot pistols right hand/left eye by indexing the handgun on my left eye without moving my head from its natural position. I also shoot carbines almost equally with both hands. I shoot sniper rifles right handed (weak eyed) both eyes open, and only after a very long day of shooting do I have to think about making my right eye stay dominant. I shoot all firearms with both eyes open.
Oh, and even if both of my eyes are closed my firearms still hit wherever the sights are pointed.
wink.gif

Close to two decades ago, I had an opportunity to train with the USMC Pistol Team at Quantico.

One of the things they tried to suppress in each shooter was the tendency to squint. The reason being that when one eye is closed, the brain subconsciously opens out the iris of the other eye, apparently to increase it's overall light gathering ability. In a dark context, this can be helpful, in a bright one, usually not.

If you are a photographer and understand the concept of 'depth of field' then you understand that opening the iris (going to a lower F-stop number) increases light gathering, but it does it at the cost of decreasing depth of field (i.e. the min and max distance at which resolution is sharpest; which has a direct bearing on both target and sight resolution), and also has some bearing on overall resolution (i.e. how small an object can be individually resolved by the ocular processing system). In a healthy individual, this is about 1 MOA with both eyes involved. It varies with individuals, and is significantly degraded when one eye is closed.

But some shooters still have an eye/brain issue coordinating images with both eyes open, especially when only a single eye is providing additional sighting-related image data.

They way the teams addressed this issue was to scramble the image to the non-sighting eye, without blocking the actual amount of light entering that eye. It was actually a very simple process.

They would simply put some Scotch Magic Tape over the optical center of the shooter's shooting glasses, only on the lens for the non-shooting eye. This removes the offending image inconsistencies, forces the brain to use the 'proper' eye, yet still preserves the amount of light entering both eyes; thus allowing sharpest resolution to take place.

Greg

Nice input, Greg.

I had wondered why shooters had clear tape over their non-shooting eye-wear rather than just squinting.

I am left eye dominant also, though I shoot right handed. I can definitely see with more clarity than the right one. I'm planning on a left handed build because of this. I've always shot a tad better left handed but since my right hand is my "finesse" candidate while my left is my "bruiser", trigger control was a problem.

I foresee alot of work ahead for myself.

I'm left eye dominate and shoot right handed. Squint my left eye when I shoot a rifle. With a handgun I shoot right handed and use my left eye. My right shoulder makes a nice check rest! When I shoot shotgun I tried for a year straight (2500 rounds) to use tape on my left lens but I gave up after ayear and just close my left eye.

I teach hunter safety and the text pushes using your dominate eye to determine which side to hold a gun, I don't agree. Makes me think of trying to teach a kid to write with the hand that is not dominant!

Just shoot!

-Ed

Lindy has it right. I started shooting left handed at the age of 5, red ryder dropping sparows. Some would say I was a eceptional shot at a young age. As I matured, I started to take shotgunning seriously. I decided to buy a shotgun from a from a Hall of Fame instructor who gave me a lesson and noted I had a eye dominance issue.

I had 2 paths to follow. First was to remain left handed and be handicapped in depth perception or move to the left hand and improve.

I chose to make a change. After mounting and tracking my crown moulding some 5000 times I was moving in the right direction. I would say today I am 90% there after around 9-10k rounds.

The change is not that bad if you commit. Now if someone ask me to shoot offhand, I just smile and say sure!

Hardmix

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I As I understand it, the dominate eye is hard wired for image, while the other eye is hard wired for light gathering/puerperal vision. .</div></div>

No disrespect intended, but I think you meant peripheral instead of puerperal. Puerperal usually refers to post-delivery of a baby, as in puerperal fever which women get a serious infection after delivery of a baby.

And Lindy is always right.

There is a very good book on the Apache gunship written by Ed Macy about his time in Afghanistan. Really interesting section at the start about their training and how they use a sight to "train" the cannon whilst using the other eye to monitor controls. In effect, they have double vision to the extent that at the end of his training he could put two books side by side and read them with both eyes at the same time. It was interesting to understand the extent to which you can manipulate and train your eyes to perform non-typical functions.