• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How Can I REMOVE Krylon from an optic?

tsalagi88

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2010
Montana
Anyone ever successfully, removed Krylon from an optic or anything for that matter. I recently came to own a used Aimpoint 3X Magnifier that the previous owner had Krylon'ed FDE. I would like to un-Krylon it, if possible, to make it easier to sell.

Cotton balls/q-tips and Acetone work wonders on rattle can paint. Just make sure what you're using the acetone on can withstand it. For the tube and other large areas it should be fine.

I used Citristrip and it worked great. Scope looks like new. Sold at Walmart
pymusa7e.jpg

Brake cleaner works too. Spray it on and let is sit for a few minutes then wipe off the olds paint.

If you have any stubborn spots that paint remover doesn't remove on its own, a $3 battery-powered toothbrush from Walmart (in conjunction with paint stripper, mineral spirits, etc) often does the trick.

Thanks for the help everybody. dm_graham308, I was talking about the rubber sleeve. I'll give the sponge a try on that bad boy...

Many of the cleaners will destroy the lens coatings. The best stuff to use is a Q-Tip wet with WD-40. It removes almost all types of paint when allowed to sit. It will not hurt the coatings.

I have found that the gunblast that you can buy from the local walmarts works great. Usually depending on thickness of coats of Krylon you can watch it come off as you spray.