• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How can you increase accuracy on a Bergara HMR 14

One leg

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
Is there anything one can do to increase the accuracy on the Bergarg besides just dumping it and starting again with a custom build?
Thanks for your time and any advice you might have for me.
With Respect
Alvin

Is there anything one can do to increase the accuracy on the Bergarg besides just dumping it and starting again with a custom build?
Thanks for your time and any advice you might have for me.
With Respect
Alvin
Tell us more information. What accuracy problems are you having? If your Bergara shoots 3/4 MOA pretty consistently then there probably isn't much to be gained besides having a good gunsmith install a new quallity barrel. People online that shoot one 1/2 MOA group or even close to 1/2 MOA group often claim that their rifles are 1/2 MOA guns when in reality they couldn't aggregate better than 3/4 MOA with 5 groups of 5. These online claims often give unrealistic expectations to new buyers of factory rifles.

So let us know how your gun is doing. There is a good chance your rifle is performing as it should.

People online that shoot one 1/2 MOA group or even close to 1/2 MOA group often claim that their rifles are 1/2 MOA guns when in reality they couldn't aggregate better than 3/4 MOA with 5 groups of 5. These online claims often give unrealistic expectations to new buyers of factory rifles.

So let us know how your gun is doing. There is a good chance your rifle is performing as it should.
So TRUE!!!! I don't shoot nearly as well as most claim they shoot online. Yet somehow I still place pretty well at matches.

The right load. Some guns are picky, not saying yours is but the best shooting rifle I own is. And I'm with Mordamer about all the groups posted online, and they are almost always 3 shots at 100, you rarely see groups at distance.

A buddies shoots well under .5 with good reloads........well mostly it or he gets a flyer in like every group. He just had it bedded and bolt bushed, pin needed budhing BAD. We will soon see.

Last edited:
...People online that shoot one 1/2 MOA group or even close to 1/2 MOA group often claim that their rifles are 1/2 MOA guns when in reality they couldn't aggregate better than 3/4 MOA with 5 groups of 5. These online claims often give unrealistic expectations to new buyers of factory rifles.

My Bergara Premier HMR Pro shoots .3 at 100 just running Hornady 140ELD-M loads through it.

for posterity

for posterity

Step 1:
Check the basics.
- Does the recoil lug make square contact in the stock? Bedding epoxy or JB weld can fix this.
- Are the areas around the action screws supported? (pillars are good here, but JB weld will work.
- Are all of screws in the chain of optics mounting tight and secured?
- Is the barrel truly free-floating?

Step 2:
Massaging
- Work different brands/types of match ammo
- Work up reloads with a couple different bullets and powders

Step 3:
Rebarrel
Assuming everything in Step 1 checks out, 97% of the accuracy potential is in the barrel.

Then there's you. Are you jerking the trigger? Are you flinching? Are you building a repeatable stable position?
Test yourself on a known accurate rifle, or test your rifle with a known good shooter.

Reactions: LG65CM
A little more info would be helpful about what your current results are, what type of ammo you're using, scope, bipod - yes/no, bag/monopod/unsupported?
I tried just about all premium ammo out there and picked the one my HMR liked, installed a TriggerTech Rem 700 Special trigger, a PVA "Jet Blast"muzzle brake, rails on the forend and buttstock for the quick detach Atlas PSR bipod and an Accu-Shot monopod and I'm perfectly happy with the results.
One thing I noticed about a lot of "accuracy" complaints about Bergara coming from people I knew was that when they took the action out of the stock they torqued the action screws to 65 inch-pounds instead of the Bergara recommended 55 inch-pounds because they looked at the old manual listing of 7 Nm. I had manuals stating both figures so I contacted Bergara and they clarified 55 inch-pounds as stated in their "Bergara B14 Disassembly and Reassembly" video on Vimeo:

Adding bedding, or pillars should not be necessary because the HMR stock has the internal aluminum chassis. Adding pillars when you don't know where the chassis is located could actually be detrimental.
Handloading is definitely an option but by your question I would derive that you might need some more experience first.
You might also want to look into what type of rail and mounts you use, and if they are torqued to manufacturer's specs.

If you checked all of the above, and there is nothing jammed in the stock channel to prevent the barrel from being free floating, and you get consistent results 1 MOA, or above you might want to give Bergara customer service a call, and it might be time for them to work their magic to make you the customer happy. That is provided you are familiar and comfortable with shooting technique, i.e. frontloading the bipod if in use, breathing, trigger pull, follow through, how to accurately zero a rifle, how to use elevation and windage correction, ... You get the point! It is critical to be able to assess where you are with your current skill level to see if this is purely mechanical, or a skills issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul1262
A little more info would be helpful about what your current results are, what type of ammo you're using, scope, bipod - yes/no, bag/monopod/unsupported?
I tried just about all premium ammo out there and picked the one my HMR liked, installed a TriggerTech Rem 700 Special trigger, a PVA "Jet Blast"muzzle brake, rails on the forend and buttstock for the quick detach Atlas PSR bipod and an Accu-Shot monopod and I'm perfectly happy with the results.
One thing I noticed about a lot of "accuracy" complaints about Bergara coming from people I knew was that when they took the action out of the stock they torqued the action screws to 65 inch-pounds instead of the Bergara recommended 55 inch-pounds because they looked at the old manual listing of 7 Nm. I had manuals stating both figures so I contacted Bergara and they clarified 55 inch-pounds as stated in their "Bergara B14 Disassembly and Reassembly" video on Vimeo:

Adding bedding, or pillars should not be necessary because the HMR stock has the internal aluminum chassis. Adding pillars when you don't know where the chassis is located could actually be detrimental.
Handloading is definitely an option but by your question I would derive that you might need some more experience first.
You might also want to look into what type of rail and mounts you use, and if they are torqued to manufacturer's specs.

If you checked all of the above, and there is nothing jammed in the stock channel to prevent the barrel from being free floating, and you get consistent results 1 MOA, or above you might want to give Bergara customer service a call, and it might be time for them to work their magic to make you the customer happy. That is provided you are familiar and comfortable with shooting technique, i.e. frontloading the bipod if in use, breathing, trigger pull, follow through, how to accurately zero a rifle, how to use elevation and windage correction, ... You get the point! It is critical to be able to assess where you are with your current skill level to see if this is purely mechanical, or a skills issue.
Thanks for pointing out that the action screws should be tighten to 55 inch-pounds and not 65 inch-pounds.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Thanks for pointing out that the action screws should be tighten to 55 inch-pounds and not 65 inch-pounds.
You're welcome; with 2 manuals stating different info clarification was needed what the manufacturer's true recommendation for best results was, so I asked and have been glad I did ever since.
By the way, I recently replaced the B14 bolt with Bergara's Premier Short Action bolt because of the lighter firing pin and spring, and also replaced the Bergara B14 trigger with a TriggerTech Special which all added to my B14 HMR's accuracy and repeatability of results.

Attachments

• 20190714_163003a-Edit.jpeg
    20190714_163003a-Edit.jpeg
    439.4 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
You're welcome; with 2 manuals stating different info clarification was needed what the manufacturer's true recommendation for best results was, so I asked and have been glad I did ever since.
By the way, I recently replaced the B14 bolt with Bergara's Premier Short Action bolt because of the lighter firing pin and spring, and also replaced the Bergara B14 trigger with a TriggerTech Special which all added to my B14 HMR's accuracy and repeatability of results.
Those are interesting replacements. Do you feel the Premier short action bolt made that much of a difference in accuracy? Would you mine telling me what you paid for the bolt? Last question. What scope are you using? Thanks.

Those are interesting replacements. Do you feel the Premier short action bolt made that much of a difference in accuracy? Would you mine telling me what you paid for the bolt? Last question. What scope are you using? Thanks.
I set the TriggerTech Special to 2.8 lbs. as the Bergara manual had stated not to go below. Felt several ounces lighter than the B14 trigger, now with the Premier bolt it feels more like a pound lighter but it still pulls on the gauge as 2.8 lbs. I mostly replaced the bolt initially for the ease of tool free disassembly, the lighter firing pin and spring to prevent cratering with some reloads I get to shoot from one of my buddies' bench and the added feature of the non-rotating gas shield, as well as the heavier bolt shroud. However it has made my results much more constant as well, and the fluting has turned out to be a great plus in Colorado, and Wyoming's dusty areas so far. The TriggerTech trigger had already proven to be a bonus in that regard on a trip to Utah and Arizona last fall. I got my bolt from Bergara for around $300. The scope is a 35mm tube Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50, FFP, EBR-2B MOA Reticle, 125 MOA total elevation, mounted on a Talley 20 MOA base, with Vortex Precision Matched Medium 35mm Rings, 0.95” height. I have the Tenebraex 50VTX0 ARD mounted on it instead of the Vortex Sunguard. I hope this helps.

I set the TriggerTech Special to 2.8 lbs. as the Bergara manual had stated not to go below. Felt several ounces lighter than the B14 trigger, now with the Premier bolt it feels more like a pound lighter but it still pulls on the gauge as 2.8 lbs. I mostly replaced the bolt initially for the ease of tool free disassembly, the lighter firing pin and spring to prevent cratering with some reloads I get to shoot from one of my buddies' bench and the added feature of the non-rotating gas shield, as well as the heavier bolt shroud. However it has made my results much more constant as well, and the fluting has turned out to be a great plus in Colorado, and Wyoming's dusty areas so far. The TriggerTech trigger had already proven to be a bonus in that regard on a trip to Utah and Arizona last fall. I got my bolt from Bergara for around $300. The scope is a 35mm tube Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50, FFP, EBR-2B MOA Reticle, 125 MOA total elevation, mounted on a Talley 20 MOA base, with Vortex Precision Matched Medium 35mm Rings, 0.95” height. I have the Tenebraex 50VTX0 ARD mounted on it instead of the Vortex Sunguard. I hope this helps.
I appreciate you taking the time to prepare this information - very helpful. I don't know how you could make this Bergara any better. Thanks again.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Sorry guys, the OP, One Leg, has not respond to any of the info request post. I guess he has no leg to stand on now?

Nice setup, Sonic! I just purchased a Bergara B14 HMR and hope to make some upgrades along the way, before I step up to a new, and more expensive, rifle.

Hey Guys,
I am sorry for taking so long to get back but at 67 everything I do is slow. I have the same setup as those above except I had my bolt cut with slots in place of changing mine out. I have to say the TriggerTech is my favorite in my group. I ashamed to admit it as much as I shoot but .75 seems the best I can shoot with it. I do change out and shoot a lot of other rifles and I like to blame that for my lack of improvement but I don't really believe it. I just am getting old and will never shoot as I once did. My Shooting has gone the way of my leg.
I would say to stop worry about your gun as you have a good one and just shoot. Oh, and keep changing ammo - you will find what you want.
With Respect,
Alvin

Oh, ya,ll know about me shooting my leg off but did I tell you I broke my hand shooting a 45-70 derringer about 40 days before. It did not have an oversize grip and yes I knew better but could not help myself. God my wife was so mad at me. LOL

And broke my back several ago jumping off an old bridge with some young boys! I guess I shoot my leg off for my own good!

While I am sharing with my friends - I took a boot to the head in a fight in a topless bar and had to have my neck fixed, and yes JoLynn was really mad about that one.

Attachments

• IMG_0413.JPG
    IMG_0413.JPG
    407.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    446.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0350.JPG
    IMG_0350.JPG
    456.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0413.JPG
    IMG_0413.JPG
    407.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    446.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0413.JPG
    IMG_0413.JPG
    407.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    446.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    281.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0768.JPG
    IMG_0768.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 72
A friend bought one of these HMR rifles chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. Shot really well for the first couple groups. Then opened up to about 2 MOA at 100yds after about 30 rounds. He cleaned the barrel as he thought maybe it was just breaking. Shot well for the next two groups then went to shit again.

He chased this around for a couple hundred rounds. Didn't get any better until we put a Krieger barrel on it. Problem solved

0.75 moa with factory Ammo and factory rifle setup seems excellent, especially given the x-rays!

I’m afraid all us Poors have grown unrealistic expectations from reading countless threads of hand loaders and benchrest shooters w 0.25 moa rifles w tuned loads. We either need to accept SubMOA as good enough or go to the next level w hand loads and a new barrel—-but we’re poors.

I’ve also read plenty of posts that insist moa accuracy is plenty good to do well in PRS matches and that increased practice time will make more difference than a more accurate rifle.