• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How crazy...

--BLACKOUT--

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2011
    Silver City, New Mexico
    Would I be to rebarrel my Rem700? It's a .308 that shoots Damn good, slings 175gr bullets at 2700ft per second. It only has 200 rounds down the Rock Creek barrel but after reading about the 260rem, I can't shake the feeling to switch calibers.

This gun will be used for LR shooting and hunting of big and small game. Score High did all the work putting it together so I'm confident they will do more of the same.

I have a 1000yd range 15 minutes from my house, and further out when we go for a drive. I'll be hunting deer, elk, coyotes, and other various sized animals. Basically, I need one rifle to do it all. I do not want to get another rifle.

Would the 260 serve me better or just keep what I have...?

Re: How crazy...

260 a little less recoil and better BC for the wind and more range.
    I think you have a larger bullet selection with the 30 cal which is a plus since your hunting paper/steel - various sized animals. Do you have 260 dies? thats something to think about also. I would stick with the 308 since its a hammer and save your pennys then get another rifle ;-)

Not often you hear someone say they don't want another rifle!

It all depends if you reload or not? The 260 will come with higher cost so if money is a factor stick with what you got.

If you don't reload and you set on a 6.5 go for the Creedmoor over the 260.

If your getting 2700fps from a .308 with 175's I'm going to assume you have a 22"+ barrel. I say stick with the .308 and if you load spend a little extra to load the 175 or 180 JLK's from Swampworks, that's if your trying to push it to it's limits.

I made the switch due to me running a shorty .308

If you already have a Rock barrel on it and its pushing 175's that fast already I would stick with it....unless you just have the money, then just build another rifle.
    smile.gif

With all the money you will be spending to change barrels( I have changed two barrels and costed me about $1500-$2000 each), why not spend a little extra and get a new rifle. For a additional $500-$1500 you could get .260. Thats what I would do.

At BlackOps Precision you can get a Infidel for $3489. Mike is a great guy to do business with.

http://blackopsprecision.com/?product=infidel-rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmpowder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not often you hear someone say they don't want another rifle!
    </div></div>

I have to agree on that statement.

The .308 is no slob. I am not for certain, but to hunt the larger North American game I think it may take something a bit bigger that the .308 or the .260 at 1,000 yrds. Please don't quote on this, someone else will need to chime in on that. The 260 will be flatter and will perform better in the wind. It does carry its energy better that the 308. But with the heavier bullets of the 308, it will have more momentum than the 260. The 308 does not allow much room for error in reading the wind as the 260 will. The 260 will burn up a barrel faster than the 308. Like another member has already stated, the availability of ammo for the 308 is larger an comes at a cheaper price.

You are definitely going to gain in some areas by going with the 260. But on the other side of the coin you will loose the benefits of the 308. For the target shooter, those benefits would be enough to justify a change. But for the hunter, I am not really sure you are gaining much.

I sure would like to see what others have to say about the gains, or lack of, when it comes to North American game as large as you are talking about.

If you can sell the .308 there have been some good looking .260s listed for sale on here lately. You might come out better doing it that way.

I love my 308 (which is also my first long range rifle I had built piece by piece) and wouldn't sell it for anything. I traded my 300WinMag (I already have a 338 Lapua so why do I need the 300 when the 338 Lapua over shadows it) for a Sako TRG-22 in 308 and having it rebarreled (currently at Mark @ SAC) into a 260.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J Blaze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a .308 that shoots Damn good, slings 175gr bullets at 2700ft per second.

It only has 200 rounds down the Rock Creek barrel

This gun will be used for LR shooting and hunting of big and small game.

Basically, I need one rifle to do it all. </div></div>

Seems clear to me you already have it.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions, fellas. Something I left out is, I don't reload. I shoot SWAmmo and that's stuff is great. Also, I would love to buy/build more rifles but we just bought a house.

We're putting in a new kitchen and I just don't have the loot to put towards another rifle. Add to that, my wifes car is a pontiac... So we gotta unload that thing soon and she wants a 4runner. Oh... And my 2 boys are coming up and I give them more than I should.

I shouldn't try to fix what isn't broke... Thanks for setting me straight, guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J Blaze</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I don't reload. </div></div>

Keep your .308 and shoot the hell out of it as it only has 200 rds. it's just now broke in!

I'd rather have the 308 for a couple reasons, unless you just want a new gun, but another gun to consider if your wanting a new gun is the 6.5-284 Norma. It has some pretty sweet numbers