• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How Critical Is Sight Base Alignment With Bore?

Re: How Critical Is Sight Base Alignment With Bore?

my m1d with its offset base mount must be completely unusable as it has a parallel offset of say 1 1/2" you seem to be saying just through up my hands and not even try to shoot this vintage sniper rifle. bushie!!!

Received The 3 LaRue QD Risers back in today's mail.
LaRue did reimburse my shipping costs which was decent of them...

There was no letter or indication that the gear was checked out by anyone. Their phone receptionist handles returns for the company, after conferring with the sales mgr. Not really what you might expect of a company that has "precision" in their corporate name.

No note saying "We checked these products and found them to be within our technical specifications", etc. People have bitched repeatedly about Remington chambers and poor accuracy along with other mfrs crummy products being "within production specification".

Did get a yellow sheet dtailing LaRue's "If you ain't happy, we ain't happy return policy" which states they have a "Lifetime guarantee on defective parts"...

Interesting opportunity here.

I did remount the Leupold Mk4 1.5-5x on med 30mm rings and shoot a few rounds with my AR-15 over the weekend. Used the Brownells ring alignment spuds to assure that detail, then boresighted using bushnell collimator. Just confirming on-target at 25yds in my yard; was on target w/first round.

Will remount scope to each LaRue LT 110 and fire at 25yds to see if there is any change in point of impact.

Doesn't matter? "Just use the base and go shooting"

Wonder if the Weaver and other scopes used on the Garand sniper rifles were specifically matched, made-for the offset mounts?

No modern scope I'm aware of is designed to be used Off-Axis. Even a side-mount like a Sadlak M-14 mount which I have owned is designed to place scope in-line with the bore, not offset to bore like the LaRue riser and likely all their other QD products.

Anyway, will see if there is impact shift at 25yds and maybe at 100.

If product is designed without concern to off-axis alignment, guess it ain't "defective" if customer discovers this to be the case. Their design errors and lack of awareness as to what precision means in application to centerfire riflery speaks volumes.

On-target w/first round after boresighting meant 2 clicks adj to be on at point of aim. This scope has 1/2 moa windage adj per click, so talking about about .25" of windage from the boresighter zero to point of impact at 25yds...

"If you ain't happy, we ain't happy"

Stretch em out at 50yds - probably way off. The parallax adjustment on your scope will need to be offset by the internal diameter of the barrel to properly adjust for the angular differential in shooting positions, and the reticle adjustments will need to be converted to inches per hundred micrometers at 100 decibels for maximum accuracy. I know this because I used my colostomy bag to verify.

But you can return them again if the above doesn't help - I'll send you a note for your teacher if you want.

Signed: Mom