• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship How deep is the mirage

Re: How deep is the mirage

Depends largely on how many different changes in air temp and levels of humidity ,that are effected by the ground temps, which in turn creates reflection of light passing through the different layers of air. also affected by power of magnification used, and the distance or depth to the target. All of it, the less the distance the less the perceived mirage.

+1

Its hasty guess work at best, Its gtg for short ranges. You would need to observe the trees/wind indicators for longer ranges as wind is unpredictable and varies in direction and speed over longer ranges.

If you treat mirage like a river with your target on one shore line and you on the other you can take the most advantage.

Focus on the target and "unfocus" back across the "river" noting any severe changes in the mirage. Then average things observed leaning heavily towards where drastic changes occur.

Mirage at one location seldom tells the whole story.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you treat mirage like a river with your target on one shore line and you on the other you can take the most advantage.

Focus on the target and "unfocus" back across the "river" noting any severe changes in the mirage. Then average things observed leaning heavily towards where drastic changes occur.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Well if it means anything to you Doc....I actually understand it now to.

Now the downside, the more I read about long range shooting the more confused I get.
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sixpakastan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you treat mirage like a river with your target on one shore line and you on the other you can take the most advantage.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Well if it means anything to you Doc....I actually understand it now to.

Now the downside, the more I read about long range shooting the more confused I get.
frown.gif
</div></div>

Here's what I do, because, first, it was what I was told to do by experts on the matter, and second, because it appears to be getting the job done: turn the spotting scope's focus 1/4 turn counter-clock wise from the target (you'll still see the target). You'll be focused on mid-range mirage, which is a very good indicator for what sort of favor or adjustment is necessary for a good hit. It's fast, it's simple, and it's reliable.

One more thing, understanding wind is not an art as a few have suggested here; and, it's not esoteric, only understandable by the illuminary. All shooting is the same, shooting at LR targets is just more demanding; however, anyone, with basic marksmanship knowledge, can eventually muster perfection to do well with it. Shooter/target analysis is the key to success. Call your shots and plot your strikes to make analysis meaningful, that's to say, trouble-shoot every shot, which doesn't go right-in-there.

BTW, LL and doc know which hog ate the cabbage, trust in their advice. There are others here which, although sincere, will give you advice that is, I believe, worthless. These are the folks that are truly confused, confusing executing the firing task with actually knowing how to shoot. They can get good hits at SR, but, fall apart at MR and beyond. Since they can't get good hits at distance, they think there must be something different about LR, something requiring advanced training, when, actually, it's the basics which allude them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its only where you are focused in the optic. </div></div>

+1
And thats why it can show a R/S wind at one spot but, really be blowing a L/S most of the way to the target.

Caught/seen this for the first time at the last HardRock match, after JHuskey made a comment about it.